Small bridge

/ Small bridge #1  

brianz

Tractor
Kioti CK30, HST, FEL
I have read the bridge threads, but they seem more than what I really need. I am trying to cross small (about 5' across and 5' deep) interior creek beds on my property and am looking to build a couple of small bridges for this. It needs to hold the weight of my CK30 w/ FEL. I was thinking about using railroad ties laid side by side running across the creed and laying boards cross ways to tie them together. Any thoughts on this? Better ideas?

/ Small bridge #2  
Take a 16 to 24in dia Douglas fir tree 16ft long

Rip or cut tree right down the middle length wise

Lay each piece across the creek. instant bridge

or pour footings at each ends not gigantic ones run steel I beams across and railroad ties to tie them together. thats what my uncle did to cross his 10ft creek with his orchard cat.

railroad ties suspended with weight like that sounds scary in the middle

Or do what my neighbor did with his tree. just make sure the trees arn't icy in the winter.

good luck

/ Small bridge #3  
Get two i-beams and run them across the creek. Dig out each side so they will lay flush. Cut some treated 2X10 and lay them across, leaving at least an 8 " overlap. Nail a board on the under side of each overlap to hold boards. You may also consider pouring a little cement on each beam end to ensure they hold better.

/ Small bridge #4  
what is the estimated weight of tractor and impliments? I think RR ties would do fine on that small of a span. digging out each side and putting a concrete
pad might not be a bad idea. even the premade 12"sqaures might work.8' ties would give you 1.5' on each bank.

/ Small bridge
CK30 with FEL I would guess about 3,500 lbs.

Thanks for the options. So far, LeadPoison's option might sound like the way to go.

/ Small bridge #6  
Be sure to set the i-beams so the tires travel over them. You may have thought about that already, but I just wanted to make sure.

/ Small bridge
I had, as I would have used the same technique with the RR ties. Thanks, though.

/ Small bridge #9  
I built a bridge using a pair of 12' railroad ties that were 8"x10"'s. I put them right on center with the axles on my old Ford F250 I had at that time. I used 2x8's to tie them together. I use to drive that 5600 pound truck with a full load of hardwood across the 8' wide brook without a problem. I just recently removed said bridge as it was rotting away. It will be replaced with a culvert pipe buried two feet under ground. This is a permanant fix.

/ Small bridge
Jim, how long did that last before it started rotting out on you?