Small catastrophe under the dash...

/ Small catastrophe under the dash... #11  
I think you should consider using new head bolts also.the old ones stretch after being torqued.russ

I use to replace the bolts also, in my several visits, to trying to keep a head gasket in my old VW Diesel Rabbit! Also, obviously Gary meant "Scotch-Brite", and I concur with some type of sealant. I think I used to use a areasol 'copper-spray'....(?)...~Scotty

After a re-read, I guess I don't understand your perceived need to pull the head? I do agree with the group, that you definately don't want the 'glo-plugs' energised after start-up.....~S

/ Small catastrophe under the dash... #12  
Good Afternoon Gary,
I agree, and would also add that stuffing some rags into cylinder bores, will protect them from any grit and debris that could get in there...

Good point! I soak a rag in some light weight oil and ring it out then stuff it in the cylinders. The oil will make tiny dirt or grit stick to it. It's amazing what grit can do to rings and cylinder walls. It is also a good idea to clean off the buildup on top of the pistons and head. However, you have to be careful cleaning pistons as the aluminum will scratch easily. I think a lot of engine overhauls that have failed come from not keeping everything clean and completely removing old gasket materials when it goes back together.

And thanks for the catch on the scotch guard. I edited my post.:D

/ Small catastrophe under the dash... #13  
Don't feel bad, Gary! I can't spell "Aerosol"! :laughing:..........~S

/ Small catastrophe under the dash... #14  
Reuse a head gasket? NO.

Typically, parts of it will be on the head and parts on the block so there is no thought of "economizing".

/ Small catastrophe under the dash... #15  
The wiring diagram I was able to find indicates that the glow plugs are powered in the CCW momentary switch position and when the switch is in "run" position. Is this correct?

Look carefully at the wiring diagram. I think you will find that the glo plugs are activated with the CCW position to preheat the combustion chamber and are also energized with the key in the start position (not the run position). On my Kubota the current runs through the resistor in the CCW preheat position and bypasses the resisitor in the start position. The amperage draw of the starter motor provides the voltage drop for the glo plugs.