small dozer options

/ small dozer options
highjack the tread all you want. I think I learned what I wanted to.

In all honesty, the real weight limit is the trailer decking. he takes it real slow on the hills with a load, stays to backroads, and it isn't road legal anyway.

He also needs a better truck.
I've been thinking a Mitsu Fuso FG140 would be ideal (a regular dually wouldn't make it in the woods, the FG is narrower and 4x4), but it looks like thier tow rating is crap.
anyone run/tow with one of these?

/ small dozer options #22  
For anyone interested.

The weight laws are federal 1st, state 2nd. You can register a vehicle for what ever you want in any state. Get caught over either what its registered for, or what its rated for and you will be in for a rude awakening. Here in NY I can register a Yugo for what ever I want, but I can not load it past the either the GVWR or the GCWR. You must also be under on your axle loads, and tire load. This is for all vehicles, be it a car or a 18 wheeler. You can also save some money by registering under the GVWR, but you are not suppose to load more than what you have registered for. Your insurance may even have a rider in it that if you are in an accident and not in compliance they will not pay.
The federal regulations are very clear, but some of you must not have a CDLs or you would know these things. States can regulate down from the federal rules, but they can not make them above. If you are pulling a 24000 lbs trailer, you need a CDL. Once your GCWR is over 26000 lbs and the trailer is over 10000 lbs you need a CDL. It has been this way since 1986, before that in some states you could get over weight permits, but not any more.

This is off the NC web site for CDL requirements.

A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) is Required if you drive ANY of the following commercial vehicles for hire ANY place in the United States...
A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
A trailer with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
A vehicle designed to carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver).
A vehicle of ANY size or type which requires hazardous materials placards.

/ small dozer options #23  
JasG

what you posted is accurate, but not germane to the discussion as nobody was talking about limits that trigger CDL's.

You CAN increase the GCWR past the sticker. It is done quite often and legally. The mfg limits are typically based on the tires they put on. A Chev single rear 1 ton has 265/75-16 tires and a 3/4 ton has 245/75-16. Oddly enough, the load rating is higher in the 1 ton by the tire's increase in carry capacity.

As far as being sued, hit anyone with a vehicle and expect it. That's the good ol'USA.

jb

/ small dozer options
just because the FMVSS requires something doesn't mean state and local troopers will enforce it. As far as I know, the FBI doesn't make traffic stops.
There might be no fine they could even hand out, but they could definatly sideline the trucks if they wanted to.

/ small dozer options #26  
OK... you can register and license your vehicle for whatever towing, load capacity you want in many states across the country.

I guess the real confusion I had was why... Why would you jeopordize your business, your family's security, your ability to pursue a profession or career into the future by hanging your @ss and/or neck out on a limb by hauling a load that your vehicle, axles, tires, etc. was not designed to adequately and safely tow?

I recognize that you can get caught in a bind and have to "get 'er done"... But, I don't understand intentionally and consistently pushin' your luck!!

That's just plain @ss dumb - IMO.

AKfish

/ small dozer options #27  
Sorry we hijacked...........

I do have a CDL. My Trucks GVWR is never exceeded. The truck axles, tires and suspension is never overlaoded.(Tounge weight on trailer never puts me into the overload spring) My brakes may be, but as long as my trailer brakes work, they should not be. Again- Flat land here.

Anyway, back to the original post-

Look at a Tak 150 and a John Deere 322. They will do most of what a D3 or a 450 JD will do.