Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist?

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist?
^^^^ This. My first Dozer was a D21 Komatsu. You cannot compare a real dozer with a SkidSteer. A SS is a jack of all trades and does nothing well. Nor can you compare a box blade on tractor, no down pressure, a 500-1,000lb tool compared with a 10K dozer?? no way.

The only thing bad about a small dozer is it makes you want a larger dozer.

Lol. I always want a bigger toy!

Most of my jobs are under an acre (though I have passed up bidding on bigger jobs because of equip and time constraints), maybe a little komatsu would fit the bill. Do you think it could carve out an acre pond on one of my clay pastures as well?

Last edited:
Also, I'm seeing multiple model number variations with the Komatsu d 21 units, especially the last character of the model numbers. Being that I am very new to researching these machines, I have no idea what the differences in models actually means. Would anybody be able to give me a quick explanation of the different variations or options that I am seeing with the model number differences?

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #33  
Do you think it could carve out an acre pond on one of my clay pastures as well?
Can a small dozer do it?? Sure, but it's all about time, and it's going to be a loooong time with a small dozer!

One thing about those small K-mutts, many came in "grey market", and I personally wouldn't buy one of those...

SR

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #34  
For 17 years I owned a D3 and did a lot of work with it and it was fun too!

Ran out of work and reluctantly sold it... the only drawback is the weight as in having to pay someone to move it.

No sooner than I sold it my brother bought a place than needed a lot of Dozer work.

Ended up with an ex-water district Deere 350C

It is a good machine, very stable and a little more than half the weight of the D3

The only real thing I had to get used to was the lever steering vs the D3 pedals...

There are a few small new dozers the park districts buy... kind of pricey... they do have very good hydraulics and 3 point option.

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #35  
Do you think it could carve out an acre pond on one of my clay pastures as well?
Sure, before dozers it was done with a shovel, but a d6 would be a lot faster.

Sure, before dozers it was done with a shovel, but a d6 would be a lot faster.

Right ... I get it guys . What I'm saying is that if I pick up a small dozer for grading jobs, is it feasible to use it for a small pond? Considering it's on my property and no time limit exists...

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #39  
Maybe I have been lucky in that 17 years of ownership average about $300 a year in repair parts and maintenance... also was able to recoup close to my purchase price upon sale...

Here is a link to one tough and versatile small dozer that the Park Service uses...

SWECO Dozer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62hNqkDylU

/ Small Dozer under 10,000 lbs ... do they exist? #40