Small electrical problem

/ Small electrical problem #1  

bbse

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3325
I just thought of something else I meant to ask. As I have stated on this board before, I am an electrically challenged American. I have a 95 model 3054, new battery, starts good. However, sometimes, after I have ran it a cople of hours and turn it off, when I go back to start it it acts like the battery is almost dead. It will start, but it turns over slowly and you can hear the starter solenoid clicking. Mow a while longer, shut down, restarts normal. Ocassionally while running, especially at lower rpm, the electrical light on the dash will blink on momentarily. It never stays on. Not sure where to start on this one. BTW, I do have a new fan belt and it is tight. Ideas?

/ Small electrical problem
I just thought of something else I meant to ask. As I have stated on this board before, I am an electrically challenged American. I have a 95 model 3054, new battery, starts good. However, sometimes, after I have ran it a cople of hours and turn it off, when I go back to start it it acts like the battery is almost dead. It will start, but it turns over slowly and you can hear the starter solenoid clicking. Mow a while longer, shut down, restarts normal. Ocassionally while running, especially at lower rpm, the electrical light on the dash will blink on momentarily. It never stays on. Not sure where to start on this one. BTW, I do have a new fan belt and it is tight. Ideas?

/ Small electrical problem #3  
Sounds like your voltage regulator and alternator are working based on the dash light blinking at low RPM. Check your battery with a voltmeter. When running it should read at least 13 - 14 volts. If less than 12 volts, the alternator or regulator may not be working. At low speed you say the light on the dash blinks. That tells me it is charging at higher RPM's if the light is not on then. If your running it a couple hours then it barely wants to start there is a problem. How old is the battery? Its a 95 tractor, is the battery original? is it maintanance free or can you check the electrolyte in the battery? If its original and you have 13v or more while running, you may need a new battery.
Another issue may be the starter or its solenoid, If it cranks hard one time then starts fine the next, one or the other may be going bad.
Another thing to check is that you have good clean connections on the battery posts, and at the starter / solenoid. check and clean off any corrosion. Also if the top of the battery looks wet you could have voltage leakage accross the top of the battery, clean with a mixture of baking soda and water using a brush and hose off.

/ Small electrical problem #4  
Sounds like your voltage regulator and alternator are working based on the dash light blinking at low RPM. Check your battery with a voltmeter. When running it should read at least 13 - 14 volts. If less than 12 volts, the alternator or regulator may not be working. At low speed you say the light on the dash blinks. That tells me it is charging at higher RPM's if the light is not on then. If your running it a couple hours then it barely wants to start there is a problem. How old is the battery? Its a 95 tractor, is the battery original? is it maintanance free or can you check the electrolyte in the battery? If its original and you have 13v or more while running, you may need a new battery.
Another issue may be the starter or its solenoid, If it cranks hard one time then starts fine the next, one or the other may be going bad.
Another thing to check is that you have good clean connections on the battery posts, and at the starter / solenoid. check and clean off any corrosion. Also if the top of the battery looks wet you could have voltage leakage accross the top of the battery, clean with a mixture of baking soda and water using a brush and hose off.

/ Small electrical problem #5  
Check the main battery to frame ground wire connection also. A small amount of corrosion/rust/or old paint wll cause some real strange gremlins.
RD

/ Small electrical problem #6  
Check the main battery to frame ground wire connection also. A small amount of corrosion/rust/or old paint wll cause some real strange gremlins.
RD

/ Small electrical problem #7  
Flickering light at idle isn't good-indicates charging below threshold.
Ive tested car alternators that put out 13 plus volts and way low amps--so an ammeter under load is a good test if you find 13.5 v at idle and still have trouble.
Fully charged batteries can be load tested to determine if thay have a decent reserve capacity left---hope this helps

/ Small electrical problem #8  
Flickering light at idle isn't good-indicates charging below threshold.
Ive tested car alternators that put out 13 plus volts and way low amps--so an ammeter under load is a good test if you find 13.5 v at idle and still have trouble.
Fully charged batteries can be load tested to determine if thay have a decent reserve capacity left---hope this helps

Thanks guys, I will check as much of this as possible. It is a new battery, I cleaned the connections recently but not the frame ground. I will check that. The light does not flicker constantly, it just comes on for a second or so every once in a while. No pattern I can detect. I will check the amp draw on the starter and the output on the alternator. I am wondering if I may not have a short somewhere. Because I can run it at pto speed several hours...shut down and then have a hard time getting it to turn.. run another hour.. shut down..starts fine. Before I look for a loose wire I will check all these other things first. I will check that ground issue for sure.

Thanks guys, I will check as much of this as possible. It is a new battery, I cleaned the connections recently but not the frame ground. I will check that. The light does not flicker constantly, it just comes on for a second or so every once in a while. No pattern I can detect. I will check the amp draw on the starter and the output on the alternator. I am wondering if I may not have a short somewhere. Because I can run it at pto speed several hours...shut down and then have a hard time getting it to turn.. run another hour.. shut down..starts fine. Before I look for a loose wire I will check all these other things first. I will check that ground issue for sure.