Small farm hay project?!

/ Small farm hay project?!
@zzvyb6 West mi, lot to be said for "self-satisfaction points". I get a kick out of being able to do full circle on the property. Fed, bred, birthed, butchered and cooked is the end goal. I also feel the lack of skills out there. Part of why I'm doing this. Not a pro in the trades or farming, but can blow most other 30 somethings out of the water with a hammer, tractor, farm animal, firearm etc. I find these skills valuable especially as they become more scarce and want my kids to learn them as well. Lots of helpless or useless folk out there.
------
@LHF2019 Silvopasture, want to do it eventually, didn't know the name. Thanks. I'm still putting in more fence on prepared land. Haven't figured out how I want to fence in the woods yet. Would need to clean it up a lot first. I'm only like 2 years in, 1 man crew here lol. Going crazy fast but still 1 guy with young kids and a real job. It's a square 30 broken up by woods and a creek through out, not just flat open land for fence. Chores with goats are probably different than cattle let alone the poultry. We feed grain, clean out their barn, my kids play with the goat kids etc lol. Regarding deer, we like to hunt. I have a good thing going with deer right now I don't want to push that away too much and I don't grow crops. 30 acres isn't that much and we have corn behind us, so they travel the back of my property quite well. They are meat like anything else and currently aren't a problem. If you were closer I'd just buy hay from you lol. I've been getting hay a truck load at a time when people have it, friends/family etc. Haven't found anyone with great hay who will deliver but haven't tried much. It's kind of annoying. The haggling thing you speak of is why this is staying a hobby farm just for us. I'll lose my mind if someone tries to haggle me lol so I'd rather not even offer anything. My kids can do it later if they want.

I've just read about people using a brush hog with the back or side off and it doesn't obliterate it so bad, might just try that the first time. If all I buy is a rake to row and flip it that's no big deal.

/ Small farm hay project?! #12  
KTGR- I get it. I have had a small farm operation for about 10 years and still working on making a profit from it. But it is probably one of the best environments for raising kids teaching responsibility, perseverance and work ethic.

As for a sickle mower. Look for a 3 point and not a trailer mount. Also avoid some of the older ones with wooden pitman arms. If you have to buy new avoid the sickle and just get a drum mower. I started with a sickle for one season and then got a drum mower. Best investment I made. Cuts faster and cleaner, and is much lower maintenance.

/ Small farm hay project?! #13  
1. Sickle mowers suck. Don't go that route.

2. If you're going to "bale" hay, buy the minimum equipment needed to do it right. OR DON'T DO IT! You can buy a cheap haybine, rake, baler, tedder, etc. You can't scratch around and pile up several acres of first cutting hay and pile it in the barn. Seems like that would just be a mess.

3. Cheapest option for cutting, in my opinion, is a haybine.

4. Whatever you buy, if it's decent, you can resell and recover your cost.

@CH4Ohio I'm gathering that sickles do suck or a pain unless brand new. I'm not planning on baling anything unless this seed I plant grows really well in this location for a while and I enjoy it. Will look into a haybine. Picking up loose cut shouldn't be too bad I'd think. I've seen/read about people doing it as long as you have a good rake and I'd be fine buying a 4 wheel rake to row it. Then you just drive the tractor with the tines on the loader and scoop once full into trailer. 2 acres tops wouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think and I've already got almost all that stuff, not buying new dedicated equipment makes trying hay an easy pill to swallow.

We need to remember I'm feeding my own animals and would do 2 acres of hay tops. I'm not looking for the fastest or best. As long as I'm not tossing it with a pitch fork by hand most the time it can't be all bad, especially with reliable equipment right? Never done it though so could be wrong but usually not lol.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming, especially if anyone has done it the small scale / homestead route.

/ Small farm hay project?! #15  
Hello KTGR. For hay gear, think about using a hay contractor for the first couple of years to get an idea of what is involved.
If you still want your own gear, then start with a mower and use a contractor to rake and bale the hay. For a mower I reccomend you ignore a sickle bar and go to either a drum(twin drum as lower power requirement than a single drum) or disc mower.
After that a tedder(drying) is next then a rake(row up).
Save the baler for last as that is the biggest knowledge step up and trouble source. NOTE knotters are PRESICION instruments.Learn how to strip and CLEAN throughly and reassemble meticulously and you will avoid a lot of trouble.

NOTE it costs just as much to make bad hay as it does to make good hay, so look around for a contractor or ex contractor and ask thier advice

WATER: must be year round in all paddocks. Size the system for cattle as they can drink a lot in hot weather, and use small trough with big pipes(rapid delivery) to keep the water fresh. Stock don't like green water, espesially kids calves and lambs.

Fencing: Gates: 12' or larger to fit the hay baler(chamber beside the pickup, not "in line" type).
Gate approaches: STRAIGHT line where ever possible or make the gate extra wide. Bobcat turns forbidden! Can you get a 30' trailer through your gates? If you are going to sell hay , PLAN NOW, how to get it out. If you use a lane system then angled gates are a must. Lane width and gate angle critical to paddock access. A 30' trailer has a lot of cut in. Alternative: plan gates so big gear can drive through paddocks when needed and you use the lanes system for day to day routine work.
Gates: Gudgeons: OFFSET!!! NOT in the gate way where you can gudgeon the tyres. On my 100hp tractor tyres are $1800 a pop - expensive pop! 2ndly offsetting means you can open the gate flat against the fence and latch open to stop sheep and especially lambs or kids from getting behind the gate when shifting stock.

Fences: Have you thought of using electric or power fencing for internal fences? It is cheaper than conventional fencing. Note invest time in planning your earth/ground system and you will eliminate 90% of electric fence problems. Earth systems can be remote with a lead out wire to them. Mine is about 80 yards from the mains unit in a swamp. I don't have earth problems.

note: goats are smart and can tell when the fence is not going. you won't bluff goats for long.
If you have sheep, shear them FIRST , then introduce to the electric fence as wool is a good insulator and if they get in the habit of going through an electric fence then even after shearing that habit will be hard to break.

I used to drive for a contractor and new lifestylers like you kept making the same mistakes. 10' baler DON'T FIT through 9'6" gates, and we can't do bobcat turns.
ASK yourself: What is the least manouverable vehicle you want to bring in?
How can you FUTURE PROOF your block?

Some food for thought, and hope- fully some traps avoided.
Good Luck

/ Small farm hay project?! #16  
I was thinking of collecting it loose and piling it in a barn with the cats to start. I have forks and debris tines for my FEL and figured I could just get a rake and then plow and scoop up huge rows to haul it in. If I love doing it maybe I buy a baler later but for now I'm not that committed.

a baler isn't necessary for 2 acres
Ahhh, that takes me back a few years.

When my parents first bought a plot of land, mostly wooded, but with a couple of flatish acres, they decided to do hay.

I was pretty young so I don't remember all the details. We didn't have a tractor at that time. So, I think we must have had a sickle bar mower for the old Ariens rototiller.

Anyway, we managed to cut the field. And, I think with manual pitchforks we were able to pile it all up in a large pile just on the other side of the fence. Then we covered it with tarps. I don't really remember feeding from the pile, but I think pitchforks back over the fence.

It all seemed logical to me when I was in first grade. Nonetheless, we only did it one year, and the next year we bought bales of hay, and I learned to drive the pickup in the hay field in granny gear.

Hay bales are much more convenient than loose hay, and naturally stores it at a higher density. I'd probably go all or none.

I just upgraded and got a Kubota L3902

So your tractor has about 37.5 HP total and 30 to 32 HP at the PTO.

If you do decided to go with haying equipment, you'll have to look at the HP ratings of all the implements. You'll probably be OK for some smaller mowers and rakes. Just don't get a huge mower.

You'll be marginal for the balers. Some of the older balers had their own motor rather than a PTO.

@redman135 Thanks for the input, we're running pretty small here so not even worth baling inside the current fencing, it'd be unfenced fields if we even did it, currently there would be nothing left after the goats ate it inside lol. I trenched in water last fall as well, 4ft trenching, what a nightmare lol. Interesting but 2-3 years back before getting goats we read and heard about how often they could escape. With our first does they got out immediately and were a huge pain until tons of electric was put in the next couple days. Now after a few years I can go weeks without even turning the fence on and the herd doesn't even care. I guess life must not be too bad in there lol.

@CliffordK I'd feel the same way if doing it all by hand lol. But i'm not planning on doing that. Tractors, tractors and more tractors. Can disc, spread, drag, roll, cut, rake and scoop all with a tractor. I do agree with the all of nothing thing though. Thinking now I'll try and keep it as close the nothing side as I can and see how it goes for a bit, like how well the hay grows without me needing to dump tons of fert and water on it before I commit. I already have enough stuff to do 98% of the tasks, all I don't have is a rake of some sort but those are few working parts and cheap so I can buy one of those.

So I'll be trying it the cheap way first and will take all this info into consideration if the hay growing works out well. Pretty interested in trying an old brush hog with the side cut out to cut it. I've seen someone do it and it laid it all out to the side before it got cut to much, they even bailed it after. For 2 acres or less I'll try that and call it another victory if it can work. You need to get creative or illegal to make the $$$ work in farming right?! lol

/ Small farm hay project?! #18  
Don’t do it. Buy your hay. Fence it all in and do rotational grazing. Cattle goats or whatever it is you would like to do. Don’t get to many. I don’t know your area but here in NWPA if done properly you could graze late April-November weather pending. Find yourself a couple reputable hay suppliers and spend your free time enjoying your animals.
Avoid doing it. Purchase your hay instead. Fence in your area and practice rotational grazing, whether it's for cattle, goats, or any other livestock you prefer. Be cautious not to get too many animals. In my area, Northwest Pennsylvania, with proper management, you can graze from late April to November, depending on the weather. Seek out a couple of reliable hay suppliers and use your free time to enjoy your animals.

/ Small farm hay project?! #19  
I’d go ahead and try the brush-hog mowing and bringing in some loose hay if I was in your shoes. Hay bales aren’t all they are cracked up to be. I was around 10 years old when grandpa got a baler. Prior to that, we drew the hay in loose.

I liked the loose hay much better than the bales, and so did our old barns. The 4 ft, hand-hewn timber beam spacing under the lofts just weren’t enough for the added weight of the baled hay.

I’ve had to tear down and replace them old barns over the last few years, due in large part to that “overloading”. I did manage to save an old overhead hay fork, trolley, and monorail, from the last one that I took down.

If we ever decide to get livestock again (for now the “free” whitetail deer are giving us plenty of protein), I’ll put that back up inside our new barn and start bringing in loose hay again myself.

IMG_1570.jpeg

/ Small farm hay project?! #20  
I feel your pain. I also have some goats, and a need for hay. I've been buying it, and would love to continue buying it, but it's never reliable. Over the last ten years, I've bought good hay from different guys that ended up getting out of haying because it wasn't worth the money it cost them to make the hay.

The guy I'm buying it from now has a large cattle operation and he usually makes a lot of extra hay that he sells. If we have a dry year, he doesn't sell any hay, and I'm out looking for somebody else that has some.

Looking for hay when nobody is selling hay is just about the worse thing about having livestock. You have to have it, and everyone that does, is raising the price of it, and you never know if you are getting junk or not. There are tons of stories of hay from other states that moldy, full of weeds, and pretty much worthless. Even more stories of people paying deposits for hay that never arrives.

I have a long term plan to make my own hay. I bought a bigger tractor two years ago. It's 70hp. I'm buying another piece of land that I should have paid for in a few years that needs a bunch of work to clear the trees, take down an old house, and improve the quality of the grass.

Cheap land means lots of labor, but in the long run, it will be a good investment. By the time it's paid for, my tractor will also be paid for, and then I'll go into debt to buy brand new hay equipment. For me, I don't want to be working on fixing things when I need to be getting work done.

I have a plan B for this, and that's hiring somebody to bale it for me. That means I'm relying on somebody else, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. What happens if they never show up, move away, or just quit doing hay? The never ending hunt for somebody to do it for me is something that I'm willing to pay a lot of money to avoid.

As for fencing, I tried electric fence, but it's something that I've come to really hate. Over the years, the plastic holders for the wire have deteriorated from my East Texas sun, and become brittle. The fence was always meant to be temporary, and I've gone past the point of where it should be removed, but I'm still working on my permanent fence, and having to take time to walk and fix the electric fence.

One of the lessons that I've learned about fencing is that trees hate it. They love to drop branches on it as often as they can!!!! As I build my permanent fence, I'm taking out every tree that's close enough to it to cause me problems in the future. My neighbor has had issues with his fence being too close to trees too, so he gave me permission to take out every tree on his side of the fence that I wanted to. It's twice the work, but in the long run, it's worth it!!!

In my opinion, 2x4 horse fence is the very best fence out there for livestock. It's stupid expensive at $300 a roll for 200 feet, plus T posts, wood posts, concrete and bracing, but once it's done, it's a thing of beauty!!!! It might take another decade to get my place fenced in and have four pastures to rotate them, but it's something that I feel that I have to do. I just buy a little at a time, and work on it when I can. Like everything, it will eventually get done as long as I keep at it.

428634379_10232187459051880_456138665159829128_n.jpg