Small round baler question

/ Small round baler question #1  

bill ns

Bronze Member
Tractor
1970 ,276 International Harvester2008 dk 35 kioti, 1957 cockshutt540
I just brought home a 4x4 Massey Ferguson Baler 1744 It was setting out in a guys field for a couple of years It never had a lot of bales through it 1650 on the counter .The deal is i get it running and make him a offer . So far i replaced the fuses in the control box and one lift cylinder hose has a pin hole in it were it was rubbing on the frame Every thing seams to work . My question is I own a square baler and have a understanding of the twine process but i cant figure it out on this machine The arm works and the twine is threaded but i cant figure out how it attaches itself to the bale or how it is cut when finished wrapping the twine on the bale
I also could not find a owners manual online only the AGRO parts book
Any help would be appreciated

/ Small round baler question #2  
I had a Hesston 540 for awhile that was a manual tie and cut, you pulled the rope which swung the arm out and the bale grabbed it. Pulling the rope more swung the arm across the bale and when the rope was let go the arm would swing back into the knife and cut the bale. I have no idea if that is helpful but it may give you an idea!

/ Small round baler question #3  
On my NH, as the arm swings across there is a loose end of string hanging from it.
About mid arc that string is very close and the string is grabbed by the bale and roller and starts winding onto the bale. Arm arc is then continued in steps to its far stop then reversed in steps to the beginning - its "park" stop. At the park stop there is a cutter that should work automatically, leaving appropriate excess for the next loose end..​

/ Small round baler question
Ok Thanks Guys I have played with the twine arm and i can see that it is very close so that makes sense I will just have to look again for a knife
looking forward to maybe using this in the next few weeks

/ Small round baler question #5  
That's probably another version of the re-badged Hestton 530 (if memory serves me correctly). I have a Case 8420. There were a couple different versions of the twine system and twine knife - on mine when the arm moves from the parked position it raises the knife off a small base, or anvil. When the arm is returning to the parked position after laying down the twine, it passes the tine over the anvil, then when it hits the full park position it snaps the knife down - where the twine is *supposed* to be. The cutting part is definitely the weak part of the twine system, at least on the older, manual tie models like mine. I made a modification to mine, a small curved hook that kept the twine where is would get cut with the knife - my cutting success rate went from about 5% to about 95% using 16000 ft plastic tine. There was a later official revision which added a rod that came in from the side which did the same thing, so I know it wasn't just me with this problem, lol.

/ Small round baler question #6  
On NH the twine hangs, when you tie, you move the twine over from the side and the rolling belts grab it. Move back and forth on the bale. Move it all the way to the original side and it cuts the twine,

/ Small round baler question #7  
On NH the twine hangs, when you tie, you move the twine over from the side and the rolling belts grab it. Move back and forth on the bale. Move it all the way to the original side and it cuts the twine,
That is how our Ford 552 round baler twine works.
It helps if you pickup one more chunk of hay from the windrow to help snag the string and get it started.

Aaron Z