Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp?

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #11  
Re: Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto

Yep a baler can bull a lighter tractor sideways on a slope very easially. And depending on the situation this can be very dangerous.

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #12  
Mark,

Thats the very baler I run. Its still quite heavy and If you have 1200 lbs of hay spinning behind you it does shake the tractor around quite a bit.

Maybe if you load the tires and add as much weight as possible. But your still pushing that little tractor awfully hard.

If you figured the cost difference in the reduced lifetime and additional repair cost in that little CUT versus the realtively small cost of the extra hp........I bet trading up to the right tool for the job is cheaper.

Fred

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #13  
A new utility 45 PTO HP tractor is cheaper than one of the major brands 40 HP CUT's. In the 60's 35 HP was the popular size for the utility tractor, in the 70's -40HP and now it's 50-60 PTO HP and I think the small round baler has caused most of the needed increase in PTO HP.

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #14  
A new utility 45 PTO HP tractor is cheaper than one of the major brands 40 HP CUT's.

You sure are right Mark. I don't know why so many people want to try and do everything with a CUT. If you want to bale buy a utility tractor. Like you said it's usually cheaper or not much more to have the right tractor to do the right jobs.

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #15  
If you are looking to do 'hobby' hay, on small acerage, with a small tractor, do a web search on implements, bailers, hay, etc.

A while back I was thinking about the same thing, and found a company making mini-bailers. They made like 2/3rds size square bails, and about 1/2 size round bails. Claimed pto horsepower was in the high 20's.. so that a 30something hp tractor was all you needed.

Don't think they had any extra features.. i.e... bail drops when done.. doubt you are pulling a wagon and convery with these units..

Soundguy

/ Small round rollers operable with only 35 pto hp? #16  
Soundguy, I'm the worst speller in the world. But you know, that is _the_ most misspelled farm related word I see! So you are probably right, doing a search for 'bailer' will probably give you more hits!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Those tiny balers cost $6000 - 15,000 just like the real ones, and you will have difficulty finding consumable parts (clutches, knifes, pickup teeth, etc.) because they are so rare. You can buy good used utility tractor & baler for less than the new mini baler alone - and make real bales that people will want.

On the other hand, I heard of one guy who spent the big bucks for the mini round baler & sells the small rounders for Halloween - makes good money for the unique bale size & shape. So, whatever works for you - but if you want just hay to feed critters, get some good used equipment of the right size.

--->Paul