Small shed ideas?

/ Small shed ideas? #11  
I prefer metal sheds on concrete. They last forever. Anything I build now has a steel frame. That treated timber is a lottery. I have some that only lasted about 6 - 7 years and disintegrated.

Matter of opinion, I've always thought they looked tacky. After a few years they rust, and if they're not well bolted down a good strong wind will trash them.
Give me a shed made out of wood any day of the week.

/ Small shed ideas? #12  
I do not put my shed posts in the ground as many do, I use concrete in the ground and bracket the posts. I cannot believe they are going to disintegrate anytime soon

/ Small shed ideas? #13  
I saw my first metal sheds about 55 years ago. I have never seen one rust or be blown over yet. All sheds here have steel frames and meet cyclone regulations and are made of Bluescope and colourbond steel. I would take one over timber any day.

/ Small shed ideas? #14  
If you do use any treated lumber, make sure it is GROUND RATED, not above ground rated as in the photo. I used some above ground rated 2 X 12s from Home Depot for my steps 5 years ago and they are completely rotted now. The 4 X 4 and 4 X 6 ground rated posts I sank into the ground are still like new.

/ Small shed ideas? #15  
I used scaffold polls in the ground of some uprights. The steel scaffold poles go into the ground but I drilled a hole about a foot below ground level, and put a long bolt through and are concreted in. The poles go about 4 foot up above ground and are drilled and bolted to 4 x 3 upright timbers. The bottom of the timbers are about a foot from the ground. I`ve no idea how long the construction will last, but I guess it will out live me and the guy who finally has the job of digging them up will bless me.

/ Small shed ideas? #16  
It's all about your ground and environment. I pulled up some 4x4s in the last few weeks that have been down 15 years or so. All solid. Some had concrete, others didn't. The ones that did, still do ... locked onto the posts (which made them much harder to lift). They'll all be going back into the ground for a new project. I haven't had any treated boards or posts decay due to weather or ground contact alone. I have had several completely destroyed by insects to the point of being little more than cardboard.

I've seen metal rust to foil in a few years. I've seen metal sheds on concrete rusted so badly you could push them over by hand. I've dug up other metal (old corrugated tin roofing) that has been buried for much longer, discarded by the previous owner of the property that was intact enough to be painted and reused.

The shed I recently built/added on to is metal on wood posts in the ground. I made sure to keep the ends of the metal panels a few inches above ground. It's not even close to being airtight or critter proof, but it keeps the rain off things.