Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #11  
Case and NH don't market the same balers. The Case balers are the old inline hesstons. I know the companies are owned by the same company now the two lines still compete with each other. This isn't supposed to be an argument about baler sales figures.

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #12  
CaseIH and New Holland round and small square balers are basically identical and all are built in New Holland, PA. Case hasn't marketed HFI (Hesston) balers since the buyout/merger was fully implemented several years ago. Various Agco brands market Hesston products. The 72 thrower can be "shut off" by removing the drive belt from either the hydraulic pump or motor. The belt can be removed from the motor without tools. Bales will exit the thrower and fall directly on the ground. Not sure why anyone would want that, but that is the real answer to the question. A properly adjusted and operated Deere 348 OR NH 570 baler will make most any customer happy. IDF may like his Deeres, and that is OK, but the current NH balers take a back seat to no other brands.

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #13  
Wow, I hadn't looked at their products in a while and I see what you mean. Why would they brand NH's as Case/IH? I haven't met anyone brand loyal to Case balers! A neighbour bought one of the relabeled Hesston a couple of years ago as brand new, must have been one of the last...

Shoving bales through a non running belt or roller thrower must impact bale tension? We drop all the time, cause it is the only way it has ever been done here /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Looking to change that. Small fields don't like throwers with wagons but the bigger ones aren't too bad.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( CaseIH and New Holland round and small square balers are basically identical and all are built in New Holland, PA. Case hasn't marketed HFI (Hesston) balers since the buyout/merger was fully implemented several years ago. Various Agco brands market Hesston products. The 72 thrower can be "shut off" by removing the drive belt from either the hydraulic pump or motor. The belt can be removed from the motor without tools. Bales will exit the thrower and fall directly on the ground. Not sure why anyone would want that, but that is the real answer to the question. A properly adjusted and operated Deere 348 OR NH 570 baler will make most any customer happy. IDF may like his Deeres, and that is OK, but the current NH balers take a back seat to no other brands. )</font>

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #14  
I suppose the idea is so CaseIH dealers can tap into the world's premier line of hay and forage tools. IH never had a baler worth a hoot until the Hesston stuff came along. Any concerns about bale tension can be remedied by removing the cotter pins from the upper belt frame support rods and placing one spring on each side below the frame rather than having both above it. I seriously doubt there would be impact on bale tension if that is NOT done beyond what a couple turns on the springs would counteract.

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers
Wow, looks like I touched on a popular subject! Thanks for all of the information. I feel better informed. It sounds like I am barking up the right tree. I will continue my search and will let you all know what I ended buying.

I am not sure if it matters, but I failed to mention that the primary use for the baler will be for baling mostly grass hay for our use. We will probably only try to sell 1000 - 2000 bales per year. I will probably lease a couple acres of the river bottom land across the street that is planted in alfalfa, just to have some alfalfa hay for sale to keep all customers happy.

Thanks again for all of the input. You guys are the best!

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #16  
If only doing that many bales, why not look down the JD line a bit to the 347 or 346 models? The 348(and older brothers in the 3x8 series) are all expensive high production balers. These are sized for putting 20,000 bales a year through.

Ken

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If only doing that many bales, why not look down the JD line a bit to the 347 or 346 models? The 348(and older brothers in the 3x8 series) are all expensive high production balers. These are sized for putting 20,000 bales a year through.

Ken )</font>

Just a thought... My personal favorite has been (since it's introduction) Deere's 336 baler. It's new enough to be "modern" old enough to be relatively inexpensive, and just about the best baler (for it's time) ever produced.

You're spot on about the 348 and simular models. High output/high horsepower requirements/high dollar baler. Not for the hobby farmer or small operator.

I do maybe 4000 small square bales (of hay) a season. I hardly ever use my 348 in that capacity. (MOST of our hay is done in round bales) We do as much as 5000 bales of wheat straw every summer. That all happens in a matter of a few days. That's what I bought the 348 for. It shines when you're stuffing as much material as possible through it.

For general baling purposes, at a more reasonable pace, the old 336 does quite well. (I've got an old 273 New Holland too. On more than one occasion, we've had all three balers running at one time during "straw season")

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #18  
"This isn't supposed to be an argument about baler sales figures. "

No arguments Indydirtfarmer & slowzuki.. just showing an article that stated something different from what was said. I have no doubts about the success w/ using JD haying equipment. The knotters today that are on most small square balers haven't changed much since NH invented them some 60 years ago.

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #19  
True, there are only 2 basic styles and both the JD and NH use the same style. I think it is called Raspe?

The old MF's use the other style.

/ Small Square Balers & Bale Throwers #20  
I have ran both types. Started out on a jd 346 and ended on a 347, both excellent balers. We stuffed as much hay as the auger would take until it started to slip a little, then backed off on the speed, always made great bales, and the big plus was you could see the hay feeding in, the bales dropping out the back, etc. The centerlines, I have limited experience with, but they take a lot of hay easily. Cant see to much going on, but also, seems if you feed them enough hay, and run it correctly, it works great. I'm buying a baler this year, and personally I'm going with a 347, or 348 Jd, or a 575 NH.