small tractor backhoes

/ small tractor backhoes #1  

paulrussell

Tractor
none yet
Another newbie..............Intend to purchase 40Hp to 45Hp compact of utility tractor(farmtrac etc......) I am wondering what small backhoe is best built.longest lqasting etc. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ small tractor backhoes #2  
If 40 hp is small, then my little 20 hp must be miniature. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If your not going with a factory unit, then the most popular seems to be the Woods Backhoe. The link is for the new Groundbreaker-X design with a curved boom. It looks like a real nice piece.

The following link is to a post by a member/dealer with pictures of the new woods backhoe mounted on a tractor. It looks great.
Link

It's a thing of beauty:
781646-Picture_0416.JPG

/ small tractor backhoes #3  
Depending on the model of the FarmTrac, I would recommend the Long backhoe. I have one on my 360, (LG manufactured in Korea) and the Long 4008 backhoe works rather well with it.

/ small tractor backhoes #4  
Hi Paul, welcome to TBN.

There are several backhoes that will match up to your tractor. I don't know which one is the best built or longest lasting but attached is a picture of mine on my 55Hp tractor.

It's a very well built heavy duty Italian made NARDI 7' model 220 with 16" bucket and replaceable teeth. I had a Mazzotti before that, but it was the smaller 6' model 200 and this NARDI is quite a bit larger, heavier and has a lot more power. It comes with it's own hydraulic pump & reservoir that runs off the PTO...not the rear hydraulics of the tractor. I bought it as a package deal with the tractor but it figured out to about $4,200. I think they list around $4,800 or more depending where you buy it. Pretty good deal for this size, I thought. I am very pleased with it.

That Woods up there sure is a beauty. I understand the Prarie Dog Ditch Digger is too, and almost bought one of those. Although I have no personal experience with them, I was told by all 3 dealers not to buy the Chinese backhoe if possible (LW-7... I believe) because it lacked the weight and sturdiness of the others. It was less expensive, however.

I would recommend you be sure to get a sub-frame that attches the backhoe to your tractor instead of just the 3pt hitch. It will relieve stress and pressure on the 3pt connections. The sub-frame will transferr some of the weight and stability of the tractor through the more rigid connection.

Maybe some of the members who've had their backhoes for several years and many hours on them have the answer to your question. I'm sure you'll get more information from the other guys.

Attachments

• 801997-TBN NARDI 220 RIGHT SIDE.JPG
    801997-TBN NARDI 220 RIGHT SIDE.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 580
   / small tractor backhoes #5  
Exactly what model FarmTrac are you looking at and what all are you going to be doing with the tractor?

/ small tractor backhoes #6  
I have a woods groundbreaker BH7500 (7.5 footer). I've got no complaints, but it also has a sub-frame mount. On a 40-50 HP utility size tractor the 3 point hitch and transmission castings will probably be heavy enough. There were just to many horror stories for me about 3 point hitch hoes on light tractors.

For lighter duty applications the 3 point on a utilitiy size tractor may be just fine. One dealer told me about a few tractors he's seen that have actually snapped in half from it.

/ small tractor backhoes #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a woods groundbreaker BH7500 (7.5 footer). I've got no complaints, but it also has a sub-frame mount. On a 40-50 HP utility size tractor the 3 point hitch and transmission castings will probably be heavy enough. There were just to many horror stories for me about 3 point hitch hoes on light tractors.

For lighter duty applications the 3 point on a utilitiy size tractor may be just fine. One dealer told me about a few tractors he's seen that have actually snapped in half from it.
)</font>I would use a subframe on any application. The tendency is always to push the limit on occasion. I have seen a Massey with the transmission case split wide open. The cost of repairs far exceeds the cost of a subframe.

/ small tractor backhoes #8  
does the sub-frame add a lot of weight? expense? does the sub-frame stay on all the time? How quick is it to take the BH on and off? easy to do? I am looking for one, but trying to justify the cost. I think it would be useful though and fun, I am hoping to find a good used one to make the cost a little more bearable....

/ small tractor backhoes #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( does the sub-frame add a lot of weight? expense? does the sub-frame stay on all the time? How quick is it to take the BH on and off? easy to do? I am looking for one, but trying to justify the cost. I think it would be useful though and fun, I am hoping to find a good used one to make the cost a little more bearable.... )</font>

My subframe adds about 100 lbs to the overall weight of the hoe. Cost me about 600 bucks. The frame comes off with the backhoe and is done with a single quick release pin. Then disconnect two hoses and drive away. It's fairly simple to take on and off. Good used Woods Hoes are around but people don't seem to part with them often. Subframes from Woods can be bought for most any tractor, so people tend to hang on the hoe and just replace the subframe when they upgrade to a new machine.

good hunting.

/ small tractor backhoes #10  
Thanks for the info. I figured the Sub Frame added more weight than that. I have been looking for a used BH but have not been real successful in finding one yet... What is the total weight of the BH and frame?

Thanks,

Ryan