smaller backhoe bucket

/ smaller backhoe bucket
patrick_g said:
Dontcha jus lovit when a plan comes together? Nice job!

Maybe the frozen or nearly frozen soil just doesn't stick as bad as warm moist soil.

How it looks there is pretty much how it always looks. We do flood irrigation here and it drains right away.

patrick_g said:
I was expecting that you'd get good penetration with the little bucket without teeth. With all your digging force concentrated on such a small area (cutting edge of little bucket) it should bite in much easier than a larger bucket. Teeth may not be needed if you aren't ever digging in a lot of rock.

Funny thing about the small bucket is that it is hard to see behind the boom :rolleyes: We'll see how it digs in the summer when the ground is likely to be more dry/hard on top. Once you get a trench started though you can break the top layer from below.

Not much rock here, some river rock scattered around. There is a hard pan of old clay down about 3 feet but this bucket is for sprinkler lines so I don't need to go that far down.

Charles

/ smaller backhoe bucket #52  
Hello,
I have a Kubota B7100 FEL with the B670 backhoe attachment. I see you remanufactured a bucket for your backhoe and I was wondering if you had any problems with the tweeking of it. I'm trying to generate the dimensions of the top pin hole since mine is pretty oblong. I think I may use a hardened drill bushing and weld the flange in the bucket to bring the unit back to life.

I'd like to hear more from you before I beging widening the hole on my milling machine. Hey what pins did you put in your bucket?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

/ smaller backhoe bucket
It has been quite a while since I did this project but I did keep some of the layout info, will have to see if I can find it. IIRC I just used 1018 cold rolled for the pins. Not an industrial level application so I figured they are strong enough. They have held up fairly well but I did shear the cotter pins holding one in place and it got a bit of wear before I got around to fixing it.

/ smaller backhoe bucket #54  
Did you drill the pin rod and put a grease fitting and small holes for lube or just use a plain non-greasable pin? I have access to a lathe so if I can't buy an affordable pin, and they can get expensive, I'll try to make one. I have a good month to do all my work/mods b4 the machine is needed for trench work. I'll document the milling/machining w photos and save my CAD drawings for anyone else to see.

/ smaller backhoe bucket
I believe if you look at it you will see the pins stay stationary relative to the bucket... that is what the cotter pins do. The bushings they ride and twist in have grease zerks and are part of the dipper stick. Those zerks can break off and if you don't keep those bushings greased as some point it will twist the pin and shear off the cotter pins holding it to the bucket. then the bucket ears start to wear on the pin and vice versa. If you made a pin with zerks in the end and internal grease ways that may avoid that but I don't think it is that necessary, just replace the zerk if it gets broken.

At the time I did not have access to a lathe and mill (I do now) so I did not get too fancy. I believe I stated somewhere in the thread that it had lasted the first 30 years so me rebuilding it to the same design should be good enough for the next 30 ;)

/ smaller backhoe bucket #56  
I have the original pins but they have a strange groove for some type of missing bearing material-thus the oblong hole up on the top of the bucket. The strange groove has a depth of .2125 and the width twice that. I'd like to see this part if someone has a picture of it. I'm gonna need new pins because the McMaster bushing (8492A384) adds .375 thickness on each end plus more for a head on one side and a cotter pin hole on the opposite side. I may be going overboard here and opening up another can of worms, but I don't see it right now.
Any chance another brand machine's bucket fits this B670 Hoe?

Last edited: