Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #1  

tomplum

Elite Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
It seems like a metal cutting bandsaw could be good thing in my future. My bigger projects tend to be working with 3-4" c channel, up to 1/2 thick flat bar, some tube. When I need a better cut, the dry cut chop saw is the go to, but it lacks precision and versatility on angle cuts plus the ability to do miters. Is a model that is rated for 5-6 inches even worth it for upping my game? I'm not running a metal fab shop but having the right tool for a project is always helpful.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #2  
I have a Milwaukee Deep Cut Portable bandsaw mounted on a Swag table. Good for 5" deep cuts. I find it very useful.

Swag1.JPG

gg

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #3  
Bite the bullet and buy a 7x12 horizontal ,vertical band saw . Used $500 new $1000 . Make all the rest of your time in the shop a pleasure.:thumbsup::drink:

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #4  
It seems like a metal cutting bandsaw could be good thing in my future. My bigger projects tend to be working with 3-4" c channel, up to 1/2 thick flat bar, some tube. When I need a better cut, the dry cut chop saw is the go to, but it lacks precision and versatility on angle cuts plus the ability to do miters. Is a model that is rated for 5-6 inches even worth it for upping my game? I'm not running a metal fab shop but having the right tool for a project is always helpful.

There is always the 6 1/2" or 7 1/4" Diablo metal cutting circular saw blade. I find mine very handy and can make all kinds of angled cuts once the piece is clamped. Just cut 45* "ears" on a piece of 3" channel. Took about 5 seconds per cut.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #5  
I do a lot of cuttings on old Craftsman Professional horizontal band saw..... Got it for $20 because idiot I got it from put blade on backwards and he said it did not cut...

Other option would be chop saw. I have a abrasive one, but If I had to do it again I would have gotten "cold cut" Bit at the time I didn't realize the pros and cons of cold cut vs abrasive and let price guide (mistake)...

Worked many hour with a Porter Cable "Porta Band" during my work career, but find in retirement and for property projects it would be nice to have, but I really fine my chop saw and horizontal band saw more useful, only wish for some operation the Craftsman would go vertical but that may be about 1% of my work....... And vantage of say a 60 inch (blade length) horizontal/vertical band saw it you can set up cut and walk away and let it go, and come back in a bit and it is done mean time you has time to sip a bit of coffee or do something else....

Dale

Last edited:
   / Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?
Bite the bullet and buy a 7x12 horizontal ,vertical band saw . Used $500 new $1000 . Make all the rest of your time in the shop a pleasure.:thumbsup::drink:

I was checking out the craigslit and someone at least within driving distance had a Ramco 8x13. Bigger than what I was going for, but I see your point. 1200 OBO

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts?
I do a lot of cuttings on old Craftsman Professional horizontal band saw..... Got it for $20 because idiot I got it from put blade on backwards and he said it did not cut...

Other option would be chop saw. I have a abrasive one, but If I had to do it again I would have gotten "cold cut" Bit at the time I didn't realize the prows and con of cold cut vs abrasive and let price guide (mistake)...

Worked many hour with a Porter Cable "Porta Band" during my work career, but find in retirement and for property projects it would be nice to have, but I really fine my chop saw and horizontal band saw more useful, only wish for some operation the Craftsman would go vertical but that may be about 1% of my work....... And vantage of say a 60 inch (blade length) horizontal/vertical band saw it you can set up cut and walk away and let it go, and come back in a bit and it is done mean time you has time to sip a bit of coffee or do something else....

Dale

I agree that the dry cut saw is a big notch up from the abrasive wheel. The porta bands that you and others have mentioned just may not be the right tool for me. My problem is I get busy and everything becomes work and maintenance and when I go to craft something, my mind needs a reset. A true artist I am not, though I want to be! I have a small Milwaukee circle saw which is good for thin stuff, a dry cut and a plasma cutter. It seems if I had the time to work with this stuff more, my level of proficiency would improve. The set and and watch the cutter do the work sounds like a good thing to me.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #8  
I agree that the dry cut saw is a big notch up from the abrasive wheel. The porta bands that you and others have mentioned just may not be the right tool for me. My problem is I get busy and everything becomes work and maintenance and when I go to craft something, my mind needs a reset. A true artist I am not, though I want to be! I have a small Milwaukee circle saw which is good for thin stuff, a dry cut and a plasma cutter. It seems if I had the time to work with this stuff more, my level of proficiency would improve. The set and and watch the cutter do the work sounds like a good thing to me.

Then you want horizontal band saw....

Dale

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #9  
Other option would be chop saw. I have a abrasive one, but If I had to do it again I would have gotten "cold cut" Bit at the time I didn't realize the pros and cons of cold cut vs abrasive and let price guide (mistake)...
I did the same thing. I hate my abrasive saw and someday I will replace it with a dry saw or whatever you call them.

I do like my portaband saw. It is pretty much permanently vertically mounted in a SwagOffroad table w/foot switch. Fine for small stuff but a dry cut miter saw with infeed/outfeed roller tables would be nice. A quality horizontal bandsaw would be great but I don't have the real estate.

/ Smaller metal cutting bandsaw thoughts? #10  
I have a maybe forty year old WF Wells saw. Also Plasma Cutter, torches and Chinesium Chop Saw. None really get much use. I have friends with better bandsaws and since I get my steel there, it often gets cut.

Am thinking about getting a hand held Cold Saw. Is that even what they are called? Like Milwaukee.

Built a frame with casors for my Wells Horizontal Bandsaw and it mostly lives under some racking out of the way.

Last edited: