Smart phone decisions..

/ Smart phone decisions..
Actually Grateful11, 90% of phones sold today and for the past 2 years all use a micro USB charging connection. <removed text>

When my wife and i got our phones about 2 yrs ago they both had micro USB connections BUT hers too 5.0 volts and mine required 5.1 Volts - if i tried to use her charge it would give you a warning msg and most times NOT charge the phone.. I can use my 5.1 chargers to charge her phone though

I assumed that all Micro USB connections would be universal :-/

brian

/ Smart phone decisions.. #72  
When my wife and i got our phones about 2 yrs ago they both had micro USB connections BUT hers too 5.0 volts and mine required 5.1 Volts - if i tried to use her charge it would give you a warning msg and most times NOT charge the phone.. I can use my 5.1 chargers to charge her phone though

brian

Since I began using smartphones and digicams, etc. back in Y2K, one of my biggest peeves has been the lack of uniformity in USB connections and chargers. How difficult would it have been for the numerous companies that manufacture devices to STANDARDIZE connections and charging voltages? No, cannot do it...it makes too much sense.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #73  
We are real early in the process of getting new phones. We currently have HTC Desires running Android 2.3. They worked great at first, but then AT&T sent an update out about 6 months ago and they constantly lock up or just lose service and have to be restarted. Looking at Sam's Club yesterday they have the Galaxy IIIs and also an HTC Windows 8 phone. Considering going that way...and considering I make my living with Microsoft technology. I've also been an Apple user since 1988, but I (nor my wife) care for the iPhone. So maybe I'll get the Windows phone and my wife the Galaxy and do some mobile app development.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #74  

It is a published standard. But there are many proprietary formats used by manufacturers. While they might have the same plugs, they are not technically USB compliant.

xtn

/ Smart phone decisions.. #75  
As for price:

If I pay $200 for my iPhone, you pay $50 for your android and we both pay the same 2 year contract and I sell mine for $200 and you can't get $50 for yours, who paid the premium price?

No offense, but that makes no more sense than choosing a car on its potential resale value. If I buy a product, I'll get something I like and hang onto it until it either goes feet up or no longer suits my needs. I just don't see the point in "trading up" every few years. IMHO most of the latest and greatest cool features are junk I'll never use anyway.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #76  
i am contemplating new phones. me and SO have been using the Blackberry Toch 9800 for 2 years now,
great phone, good battery life, suits us fine. we use very little of our data plan, so it's not important to
have the "best" internet phone.
there is a new blackberry on the horizon, i watched a you tube review comparing it to the iphone 5, and
yea, it's very competitive, but, with the lack of apps and support our there for blackberry, i don't know if
it's worth staying. you never see a website or company offering an app for blackberry, it's all Iphone or android..
i see the Samsung, Iphone, etc and will have to spend some time in a store trying them out to see how it will
work for what we do with them. basically want a high quality phone, camera, and ease of use for texting
and email. and good battery life, always want something with a good battery life.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #77  
Best part about Iphones is, all apps sold on iTunes must be approved and check by Apple. That means no viruses and are mostly resistant to crashes, not so with Android, if someone writes it and wants to share it, so be it if it is buggy and could crash or affect phone operation. I have had 3g, 4, 4s and now an Iphone5. Costs alittle more and somewhat more restricted thanks to Apple over site but worth it in my opinion.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #78  
Best part about Iphones is, all apps sold on iTunes must be approved and check by Apple. That means no viruses and are mostly resistant to crashes, not so with Android, if someone writes it and wants to share it, so be it if it is buggy and could crash or affect phone operation. I have had 3g, 4, 4s and now an Iphone5. Costs alittle more and somewhat more restricted thanks to Apple over site but worth it in my opinion.

THAT'S THE WORST PART, and one of my biggest peeves with Apple. As a developer, if I build something and Apple decides they don't like it, I'm S.O.L. I don't need the ghost of Steve Jobs and his cronies deciding what is good for me.

Same thing for flash. Yes HTML5 will reduce the need for it, but a big part of the internet still uses it, and that's a big part you won't see on your iPods, iPhones and iPads.

/ Smart phone decisions.. #79  
Same thing for flash. Yes HTML5 will reduce the need for it, but a big part of the internet still uses it, and that's a big part you won't see on your iPods, iPhones and iPads.

I thought Flash wasn't supported anymore in Android new versions either. Have I got it wrong?

/ Smart phone decisions.. #80  
Sounds simple to me, you enjoy writing code and Apple does not like it, just write for Android. Apple has tons of apps, seems most developers make it just fine. Not sure what your apps are, but there are no shortages of Apple apps.

THAT'S THE WORST PART, and one of my biggest peeves with Apple. As a developer, if I build something and Apple decides they don't like it, I'm S.O.L. I don't need the ghost of Steve Jobs and his cronies deciding what is good for me.