Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :(

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :(
Thanks Zebra. Yeah, it was a very hard decision but the thought of a run-away trailer down a steep hill, eventually smashing into a tree made me decide to use the tractor to block it. The single front drop leg on the trailer might need a little work too. Will know more once I get the tractor going again and get the trailer back out of the field.

It looks like that rear glass pane is around $235, so I might just do the repairs myself, assuming I can get the transmission working again.

Man, what an evening.

Last edited:
   / Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #12  
$262 for the rear window. Check with a body shop for the filler.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #13  
Thank god you are OK and if it happened to me, I'm sure I would have to replace the seat also. Mine would have been stained.....badly.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #14  
Pretty scary. Glad you didn't get hurt!

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #15  
Glad you are okay, that is the important part. The rest will work out and be a dim memory in the near future. I never load a trailer without it being hooked up to the truck with the trailer wheels chocked. I have made similar mistakes and took my truck and trailer for a wild ride years ago. I use drop leg stands on my trailers to prevent tilting, lot less stress on the rig and myself.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #16  
Glad you were unhurt! Machinery can be fixed. Sharing this info took courage and may just prevent someone else from having the same accident.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #17  
OUCH!!! I'm glad your alright! I had the same problem with my 5085M, The reverser module thing broke, Mine would be in gear for 5 seconds and flash neutral, pain in *****. Good thing warranty covered the module. One of the reasons why I dont like the PowrReverser transmission on these new tractors, too many electronics and something bad will happen one after the other.

The fender looks like its made of some fiberglass stuff.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :(
I got the transmission working again! It was just a relay that had gotten knocked out from the impact.

Called the dealer and they can get me an after market rear glass panel for $180 or the Deere one for $255, both including shipping. They do not do any body work there, and the parts guy said that more than likely, if I had it fixed under the UltraGard, they would replace the whole fender and anything else that was even slightly damaged. The earliest they can have the glass would be next Wednesday or Thursday so I'll probably wait until Monday to decide after giving some thought to which direction I want to go over the weekend. I know this is a tool and not some fancy show car, but I'd certainly prefer to keep in as pristine condition as possible.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #19  
I got the transmission working again! It was just a relay that had gotten knocked out from the impact.

Called the dealer and they can get me an after market rear glass panel for $180 or the Deere one for $255, both including shipping. They do not do any body work there, and the parts guy said that more than likely, if I had it fixed under the UltraGard, they would replace the whole fender and anything else that was even slightly damaged. The earliest they can have the glass would be next Wednesday or Thursday so I'll probably wait until Monday to decide after giving some thought to which direction I want to go over the weekend. I know this is a tool and not some fancy show car, but I'd certainly prefer to keep in as pristine condition as possible.

I understand keeping it looking good, you just got that machine.

/ Smashed GN trailer into back of my 5058M :( #20  
First of all, I am very glad that you were not injured. Accidents happen. As you stated, the damage can be repaired. I was cutting firewood many years ago and the trailer starting rolling and stopped after hitting some trees. I had used a piece of cut wood for a chock. Just a thought? If you need additional chocks, I have found the ones sold at TSC to be well made and are made of heavy rubber like material. Although the ones HF sells are a couple of dollars cheaper, I prefer the ones I bought at TSC. I got the chocks with the eye ring on them. I have rope through the eye ring and I just pull on the rope to grab the chock. Best wishes.