Smoked a clutch on my tiller....

/ Smoked a clutch on my tiller.... #61  
^ Some valuable comments for sure. Well written Bota. :thumbsup:

It's hard to resist adding comments to what has been said (and I just erased a few paragraphs of my response).

I'm just enjoying the cherry-nut. :licking::)

OK....one final comment. I hold no grudges against engineers. In fact, I have over 25 mechanical patents myself. But....when somebody throws a degree of any kind in my face....it makes me bristle a bit. I dunno....maybe because my degree came from
"the school of hard knocks"? I learned a long time ago....there are practical engineers and degreed engineers....and for me, the practical type typically trumps the degreed - especially when viewed from an operating perspective.

Yea, but lots of folks think that an engineer's only exposure was school. That is almost never the case. All any of us know about an engineer we don't know personally is that for roughly 4 years, some of their time was spent in class. Lot's of their time was also spent studying. Before that time, and since, we have no reason to expect that they didn't garner as much practical experience as any other man. The only question is: what was the experience in?"

Years ago, during the interview process on campus, some interviewers told me during the interview that they would not be willing to hire me because of a previous Animal Science degree. They said it proves I don't know what I want to do in life. Having lost the job opportunity, I would tell them "to the contrary, there is the living and the inanimate, and I want to know something about both, and there is nothing new under the sun, and all knowledge is self-reinforcing." Wasted words for me, I know, but maybe the next guy the fellow met in the same boat got a shot.

I'll take advice from any person. I will evaluate it. I will decide whether to adopt it. If my determination about your advice has to come down to what your background is, then clearly, I don't know enough about the topic at hand to decide on any other basis. So I either decide advice on the merits of the advice, or admit I don't know enough about the subject to decide. But if the basis to discount your advice is you are not an engineer, clearly I am nearly clueless about the subject.

/ Smoked a clutch on my tiller.... #62  
Where was a degree thrown in your face or even mentioned in this thread?

Yes. It was mentioned by FWJ, then by the OP, and then by me. I was last of the three to mention it, when I said..in response to the OP claiming most engineers would do no better:
"... ... ..." Does that sound rational?
Your posts are balanced. I was mainly trying to see where "thrown in my face" was perceived. I dont broadcast qualifications because they can be like parachuting in. They often promote a positive bias that has no value in discussion and is too likely to short circuit it. It is ironic that they can actually get in the way of conveying more complete information garnered from composite raw knowledge, experience, perception, and reasoning. These latter speak for themselves and are pretty apparent if honestly looked for. Some do not employ the mental tools to do this, esp when there is any amount of disagreement and a tendency to compound it by exaggeration. A gulf forms from a swale. Some actually get ugly about it. I am not inclined to make lengthy explanations where this happens. It just seems too likely that the effort would be a throw away.
larry

/ Smoked a clutch on my tiller.... #64  
Your posts are balanced. I was mainly trying to see where "thrown in my face" was perceived. I dont broadcast qualifications because they can be like parachuting in. They often promote a positive bias that has no value in discussion and is too likely to short circuit it. It is ironic that they can actually get in the way of conveying more complete information garnered from composite raw knowledge, experience, perception, and reasoning. These latter speak for themselves and are pretty apparent if honestly looked for. Some do not employ the mental tools to do this, esp when there is any amount of disagreement and a tendency to compound it by exaggeration. A gulf forms from a swale. Some actually get ugly about it. I am not inclined to make lengthy explanations where this happens. It just seems too likely that the effort would be a throw away.
larry

My posts are balanced because I am holding back to enforce balance. This thread is not a smoking slip clutch thread, after all. It is a smoking slip-clutch in a mine field thread. And I don't know where all the mines are buried. I am trying to creep up on the clutch without getting my foot blown off. If we cannot sweep and defuse the mines, we ought to give that clutch up for lost, and rescue equipment in safer locations.

People are perceptive, and you can only hide so much. I remember once a young female draftsperson broke down crying: "You don't like working with me, I can see the pain on your face. You think I am stupid." :(

I got up close to her so no one would hear and I said "you misunderstand. I think your are great, but I am in severe physical pain constantly. I try to hide it, and that is what you see. You are tops in my book. Ask others what I say about you. You have taught me something today, and I appreciate that."

Who told any of you that you were stupid, and why on earth did any of you believe them? If we are all smart, and believe that, why the animosity? In any disagreement between two people, one or both are wrong. I believe you are all smart, and that all of you know how to operate a slip clutch. So, what in the world are we doing here?

/ Smoked a clutch on my tiller.... #65  
My posts are balanced because I am holding back to enforce balance. This thread is not a smoking slip clutch thread, after all. It is a smoking slip-clutch in a mine field thread. And I don't know where all the mines are buried. I am trying to creep up on the clutch without getting my foot blown off. If we cannot sweep and defuse the mines, we ought to give that clutch up for lost, and rescue equipment in safer locations.

People are perceptive, and you can only hide so much. I remember once a young female draftsperson broke down crying: "You don't like working with me, I can see the pain on your face. You think I am stupid." :(

I got up close to her so no one would hear and I said "you misunderstand. I think your are great, but I am in severe physical pain constantly. I try to hide it, and that is what you see. You are tops in my book. Ask others what I say about you. You have taught me something today, and I appreciate that."

Who told any of you that you were stupid, and why on earth did any of you believe them? If we are all smart, and believe that, why the animosity? In any disagreement between two people, one or both are wrong. I believe you are all smart, and that all of you know how to operate a slip clutch. So, what in the world are we doing here?

Entertaining the heck out of a lot of us! all over a slip clutch.. :confused2:

AndyG

/ Smoked a clutch on my tiller.... #66  
Really, lets just give it a rest already. This is really just an immature pissing contest that will never end because each of you wants to have the last word.