Smoking diesel mystery

/ Smoking diesel mystery #31  
That's what I was saying. Lapping is only for perfecting a properly machined or ground valve and seat.
Eric
Ah Ok I mis- read what you posted, should say the shop that did the work had good equipment and machinist with a great reputation and had done at least 4 sets of heads for me in the past. Including seat and guide replacement where necessary. The good machinist retired and apparently took his equipment with him when he left. I was not aware of this when I handed the tractor head off, and well that led to where things stand now.

/ Smoking diesel mystery #32  
My experience with valves and their springs is with gas engines. On those I don’t think you could compress the springs very much by hand, but they tend to have different cam grinds and much higher rpm’s than a diesel. In other words if people say you can compress them on a diesel, I wouldn’t doubt them.

/ Smoking diesel mystery #33  
I did a Lombardini for a guy not too long ago and his injection timing was off. Different setup with this style of injector but the end result is the same.

/ Smoking diesel mystery #34  
Coolant entering the combustion chamber?

/ Smoking diesel mystery #35  
Coolant entering the combustion chamber?
All the Op needs to do is get a whiff of the exhaust
Sickly sweet , It is eating coolant. Unburned diesel smell , Incomplete combustion.

/ Smoking diesel mystery
It is not coolant.
It is for sure unburned diesel. I am now waiting for the new valve springs and nicer weather.
If the new valve springs don't help then I will have the heads done again, or I will buy the seat cutter to do it myself.
I have the manuals and specs.

/ Smoking diesel mystery #37  
I put a new injection pump on my JD and got similar results. Loaded the tractor and took it to a real mechanic. Told him the history and he fixed the problem in no time. There was a half -moon key that drove the pump that had pushed out when I installed the new injector pump. The injection pump was out of time.