Smoking & Hard Starting

/ Smoking & Hard Starting
Problem solved at last.
It was lack of voltage going to the starter solenoid.
The wire from the key switch to activate the solenoid was only putting out about 10 volts. I thought that would be enough to pull in the plunger in the solenoid and engage the starter. I had checked the voltage on that wire at the start of this mess with the wire removed from the solenoid. When applying a load on the wire by attaching it to the solenoid the voltage dropped a couple more volts. 8 volts is not enough to pull in the solenoid all the way. The result was that the starter was not getting full voltage across to the terminal that drives the starter motor and pulls in the fuel solenoid. I ran a new wire from the key switch to the solenoid and it fired right up.
I will need to trace out the problem with the old wire at some point because it is wired through all the safety switches, But at least I can use the tractor for the first time in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys for all your input.

/ Smoking & Hard Starting #12  
Wow.. a static voltage drop of 2 volts on the solenoid wire.. that would have been a red flag for sure.. especially since as you observed that when loaded the votlage dropped even lower.

Soundguy