Smoking in public places

/ Smoking in public places #1  

Scott_in_WVA

Gold Member
I seen on the news where the mayor of New York city wants to ban smoking in all public places.Talk about goverment control.Like this one gentleman said that owns an upscale bar in New York,he will have to spend about all of his time looking for smokers in his bar(cigarette police).
I personally think if an individual owns a public establishment,if he or she should wish to allow smoking in their business the person who owns the store/bar etc....should be the one who makes the call as to whether or not smoking is allowed,they could post a sign outside the establishment saying something like: this is a smoker friendly establishment,if you do not like being around cigarette smoke maybe you should consider going go elsewhere and doing buisiness.
I personnally do not understand what has happened to society,drugs,violence and sex are alright on the t.v and the big screen, but if someone lights up a cigarette on t.v.....o-my gosh how awful don't look.
Let me say that I do not smoke and I have not for several years.
But anyway I thought this would something to ponder and discuss,everyone has an opinion so speak up./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Smoking in public places #2  
I live just outside of Austin, TX where they have similar smoking bans. I actually like it this way especially in public restaurants. I don't find it too pleasant when I'm eating and have someone next to me wafting smoke my way. I never found those places that had a smoking and non smoking section truly free of smoke...

The law I do find a bit over the top is where you cannot smoke within 15ft of building entrances. This normally applies to Govt offices. I always wonder if someone is waiting with a tape measure to make sure that all smokers stay atleast 15ft away....

For the record I'm a non smoker but my wife does smoke...

/ Smoking in public places #3  
Gee. wonder how Garage Smoker feels about thi sone? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Whatever happened to the freedom of choice in America? When did going to a restaurant become a "right"? (not to be confused with the right to go INTO a restaurant)

What next? The weighted average of the fat content for menu items will be goverened like MPG for vehicles?

I have no problems with mandatory smoke free public (as in government) facilities. But the rest?

Mandatory signs:

We smoke in here.
We drink in here.
We serve fatty foods in here.
We cuss in here.
We hit on women in here.

If you don't like it don't come in. If nobody comes in it goes out of business. End of story. That's America. Choices.

Had to travel to California a lot on business. Became a room service addict. It sucs. But I didn't cave-in to their anti-smoking rules. You could smoke in your hotel room, so I ordered dinner brought in. I guess that is next out there.

Smoking a nice corona in the privacy of my storage room. (It's an upgrade from the garage. A/C in here.)

GS

GS

/ Smoking in public places
I agree with you about the goverment places...That is different than smoking in a privately owned place.

/ Smoking in public places #5  
Seems it is who "we" (the majority of voters) are electing into the offices that make these decisions. I would assume it still is the majority that rules. I do realize it is difficult to get people to run for these decision-making offices, and also difficult to get the majority of the people out to vote. But these things are happening because of who is elected, and who has been elected in the past.
I don't support the non-smoking bans (although I do not like smoke) because it is the same (similar?) as deciding I cannot own a gun. For those who don't like smoke, go where there is no smoke. For those who like to smoke, puff, puff away (and away).
Now, I do like the smoking ban in airplanes. Those days gone by were some looong ones stuck in a plane with smokers all around. But then, I don't mind a ban on guns in airplanes either.

/ Smoking in public places #6  
After they take away our right to smoke in plubic places what is the next right are we gona lose?
and where and when will it all stop?

If our for fathers could have seen the future better would they have changed things?

/ Smoking in public places #7  
alright! Now that we've gotten rid of smoking in restaurants, let's take the next step. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate paying the cost of a good meal in a pleasant restaurant only tohave my peace and quiet ruined by a spoiled child letting everyone in the place know how they feel. Now ... do we ban children in restaurants ... or parents?
Yeah ... this world is certainly going crazy, gang!

The company I work for already has a smoke-free policy for all the buildings in North America ... now they've announced that there will be no smoking on any company property after the first of the year ... and that the same will apply overseas by January 1, 2004. That's more serious because smokingis still the rule overseas.

/ Smoking in public places #8  
Before I get started, I must explain that I smoked for 30 years before I finally quit in 2001. It's the best thing that I've done, except for the weight part /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif!

Having been in the situation many times of not being able to smoke when I wanted to, I recall that I would get very irritated at the "do gooders" who had created these uncomfortable situations for the smokers. After all, it was my right as an individual to decide if I want to smoke or not. I don't recall ever demanding that someone start smoking, so why should they demand that I not smoke?

I had vowed that I would never become one of those "reformed" smokers who would run around and actively campaign against the habit. I say this because I believe it is still the individual's choice to make. And I believe that it is the individual business owners decision to offer a smoke free environment or not. Just like watching televison when a person can change the channel to avoid watching something that is objectionable, so can people go someplace else if the establishment is not to their liking.

Do I still frequent businesses that are not smoke-free? You bet. It's my choice. And besides, it proves to me that I've beat the habit! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Would I encourage more places to go smoke free? Yes, but only if that's what the owner wants to do. It doesn't matter why they might decide to do it, whether for their own personal reasons or because of outside "pressure". The point is, they should not be forced to do it through legislation. I believe that the legislation is the result of the politicals "knuckling under" to a special interest group because they want to get re-elected. We have a County Commissioner who is a heavy smoker, but when this topic came up for a vote concerning the County buildings, he supported the smoke-free contingent because, I believe, they were much more "vocal" than the opponents.

/ Smoking in public places #9  
Before there were any restrictions on smoking in restaurants, malls, planes, etc…, smokers smoked all they wanted and didn’t care one bit if it bothered non-smokers. I couldn’t go into a restaurant without gagging on someone’s smoke, I couldn’t walk in a mall or ride on an airplane without having to breath smoke and get it in my eyes and on my cloths. I couldn’t go into my bunk when I was in the Navy without walking into a haze of smoke. Things are much better now. Smokers are to blame for the new regulations. They never had any respect for non-smokers for so long and now they’re all mad because non-smokers have finally gotten things to go their way. Smokers still irritate me because cigarette butts are still the most common form of trash around, smokers throw them everywhere as they walk and ride in a vehicle.

Having said all that, I do not think the gov’t should have too much control though. But, without some gov’t involvement, would private businesses have enough restrictions? Would airlines still provide non-smoking flights if it wasn’t a federal law? Here in Indiana, most restaurants have both smoking and non-smoking areas. But, there are some that don’t. When I walked into one with my wife and 2 kids and asked for the non-smoking area and they said “we don’t have a non-smoking area”, we turned around and left. That was a waste of our time and a fair amount of hassle since we had 2 small kids that had to get in and out of car seats. A sign would have saved us the trouble. I learned the hard way not to by gas at certain stations or I’ll have to stand in line with in a bunch of smoke to pay for the gas.

I’m on the side of no more control is needed. I like things the way they are now – smokers can go their way and I can go mine. I can go to restaurants, malls, and most places without having to put up with smoke. The only places that are still a problem are night clubs. I don’t go to “bars”, so that’s not an issue for me. However, my wife and I do like to go to country and western night clubs and go dancing. We’ve learned to just get there early and leave early before it gets crowded and the smoke gets too bad. Fortunately, there is one place in our area the is smoke and alcohol free, which is really rare, so we tend to just go there most of the time (there’s also a place like that in Ridgeway, Colorado). We even brought the kids last time and brought some games and stuff for them to do at the table while we danced.

/ Smoking in public places #10  
Well, I'd better put in my .02. First of all, I am a smoker. (I know, I know, in my profession, I should know better.) (But, everybody needs a bad habit, and I don't drink or chase women. (But I have been known to follow the ocassional tractor home)) That being said, I do respect a persons right not to be around my smoke. And I will not smoke around a non-smoker, unless I am given permission to do so. I won't ask for it, but some sensible people actually do make the offer.

The non-smokers who 'get my goat' are those who insist that smokers maintain a 300 mile distance, down wind. Ok, maybe a little exageration, but not by much. This is just a bunch, (majority or minority doesn't matter), of people who enjoy forcing their views and values on others. And every time they win, they get even more obnoxious with their demands. Next thing you know, Old Spice will be on the forbidden products list. And we'll only be able to eat Tofu.

And as for the majority/minority issue, non-smokers may be in the majority, but the militant of the bunch are in the minority. Too bad everyone is afraid of them.