Smoking Slip Clutch

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #1  

OverlyRun

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC35 bought 5/01
Last season I added a slip clutch to my 60" Land Pride Rotary Cutter, but never adjusted it...just used it and didn't worry (there is still a shear bolt in the drive line ---where the clutch attaches to the gear box on the cutter). I didn't shear any bolts and don't recollect the clutch ever slipping. At the end of the season I loosened the bolts and tried to slip it (or break it free) by cutting with the bolts loosened. It didn't slip...so it was probably rusted up.

This winter I loosened up the springs and took it apart, popping the plates apart with a screw driver. I reassembled, spent 14 bucks on a pair of calipers so I could measure the spring length and tightened things in this past weekend before I started mowing.

Not only on account of the extreme height of the grass, but probably also because the clutch was adjusted too loosly, the cutter occasionally slowed down in the tall grass. I was too thick to realize that this was the slip clutch doing what it was designed to and so I simply slowed down and took the thick stuff more slowly. But later in the day I I looked back at one point and the clutch was smoking! Enlightenment washed over me at the same time I worried I had destroyed the clutch.

I was through for the day in any event, but will adjust the springs tighter before tackling the rest of the field next weekend.

Question: how can I tell if I have burned out the clutch? Mine came with exactly zero instructions.

Chas

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #2  
Pieces of Slip Clutch

Hi,

If you don't see any pieces, you probably just glazed it... take a moment, unbolt it from the gearbox and inspect the plates... it only takes a few minutes to take it apart and use some emery cloth and go over the glazing both on the clutch itself and the steel disc to clean it up some...

If the clutch disc is cracked or missing a chunk... then it has to be replaced, also check the metal sleeve inside the clutch to be sure it's not melted or cracked...

Give LandPride a call and ask for the spring depth on the clutch assy. so you can start out with that reference and go from there...

If you have a slip clutch not adjusted properly and "too loose" it will burn up... obviously if it's too tight, then it could damage the gearbox on the implement or the PTO internal's on the tractor...

So you see, it's a "balancing act" between too tight and too loose...

/ Smoking Slip Clutch
John,

Thanks. You are the reigning king of slip clutch expertise and I had little hope you would read and reply so quickly.

I didn't see any pieces...but I didn't look too closely either ....and the idea of actually calling Land Pride makes absolute sense and I will do it, though at the end of the day it will likely be real trial and hopefully not too much error.

You probably saved me a week or two of screwing around figuring this out...and as a weekend warrior, the weeks are very scarce indeed, so thank you.

Chas

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #4  
Specs on spring length

My bush hog tiller has a slip clutch. The manual specifies the spring length to get the correct spring tension on the plates.

Hope this helps.

Ron

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #5  
It sounds like you're using your slip clutch to protect your shear pin unless you changed it to a heavier grade bolt. If you didn't change your shear pin it's not likely you'll hurt your equipment because even if you do have your slip clutch badly adjusted the worst that'll happen to you is that you'll use your shear pin for that for which it was intended.

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #6  
If you did not smell the slipping clutch it probably didn't get damaged.

Egon

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #7  
a good clutch rebuilding shop can cut you replacement disc for a fraction of what most "tractor" parts dealers want for theres, Chattanooga driveline and Felton clutch in Chattanooga are the first two I think of...:cool:

/ Smoking Slip Clutch #8  
If you look at Land Pride's web site, all the specs are there (in the owner's manuals) for setting up the slip clutch. I have an RCR1860, the spring length is supposed to be 1.000-1.010. I set mine at 1.080 and have had no problems. Your slip clutch model may be different from mine, so be sure you have the right manual for your set-up.

Sean