Grading Smoothing out a lawn

/ Smoothing out a lawn #21  
Very nice lawn and house.

/ Smoothing out a lawn #22  
I would like to top dress a few areas that are not level, and need some more loam and a reseeding... will a box blade do the trick - or will it do too much "damage" to existing lawn...

Not looking to start over - like a harley rake or tiller, just skimming an inch or two of loam over existing lawn and reseeding...

Thoughts?

/ Smoothing out a lawn #23  
..."damage" to existing lawn...
I would "back tilt" the box blade by extending the top-link so the front edge doesn't dig into the ground first. The box blade will (generally) 'skim' over your existing lawn on the back (trailing) blade edge and use the front edge to move the new dirt into place. Be sure your scarifiers are up, too.

Of course, you'll bite in every once in a while, but if you're reasonably careful, you should be able to work some new screened dirt into existing holes and/or ruts without destroying the turf around it.

That's the theory, at least. Don't shoot me if it doesn't work for you the first time.

/ Smoothing out a lawn #24  
I would like to top dress a few areas that are not level, and need some more loam and a reseeding... will a box blade do the trick - or will it do too much "damage" to existing lawn...

Not looking to start over - like a harley rake or tiller, just skimming an inch or two of loam over existing lawn and reseeding...

Thoughts?

c-and-a
I've had great success using a tiller to till up high spots that are in lawn, and moving that nicely tilled dirt to fill in areas needing built up.
The tiller makes it easy to remove a uniform layer of dirt with the bucket that spreads easily.
The grass roots seem to take for new lawn, although I seed it down after spreading and get very good lawn from it. Usually till an area, move the dirt easily with the bucket, spread, rake, seed, roll, and then water. Could (but haven't) put starter fertilizer on at the same time.

/ Smoothing out a lawn #25  
Keith in space did a great job. He had plenty of pic as he went along. His work inspired me to do mine. I didn't put the sprinkler sysyrm, so my results were slower. I had to wait to spring to see my results.

Keith, could you put up a link on your lawn project. Great job, amazing that you didn't use a rake.

/ Smoothing out a lawn #26  
...link...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...049-another-large-yard-project-completed.html

This was the original project. The before and (soon) after pictures are on Page 3. I also did a big landscaping project soon after purchase of my backhoe, also chronicled in this forum.

Regarding the rake: It IS amazing I didn't use a rake. Not "good" amazing, either. I don't remember why it was we didn't get one, but I remember being very irritated at one point that my wife couldn't part with $150 to purchase one...why wasn't SHE out there raking up all the junk by hand??? That $150 seemed pretty cheap at the time.

As I said...good tool to have around when you're doing this type of project.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing out a lawn #27  

Thoughts?

I had good luck sprinkling the loam on the low spots and backdragging with the FEL. Covered some pretty good size areas with no problems. Make sure your loam is dry.

/ Smoothing out a lawn #28  
...backdragging...dry...
That's affirmative on both counts. FEL works good on small spots. When smoothing large areas, though, the FEL is so far away from the tires, its motions are 'amplified' and don't do so much smoothing.

With the box blade, I could just make a series of piles, put the tractor in 4WD, and start driving. It really is amazing just how quickly the high points are knocked off and the low points filled in. Before you know it, you're making fine adjustments to the height of the box and driving around on a pool table. Pretty amazing, really. Great tool.

Having messed with several different ways to do the same thing, it's tough to replace the box blade.