Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric..

/ Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric.. #1  

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
Just converted my chute rotation from manual to a 100rpm 12V Makermotor. Turns plenty fast enough, I'm going to leave the chute top alone and try it without installing a linear actuator, I don't see in my application that it is needed. Cost me about $80 for the motor, hardware, wire and DPDT momentary switch.. I tried to download a video but no go..

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 495
   / Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric.. #2  
That's a nice looking 12v motor, where did you get it? It looks weatherproof. Woodmaxx wants 300.00 for their electric setup on a snowblower.

/ Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric.. #3  
Consider cheap winches to drive the chutes.
Lots of torque and low RPM's and affordable.
Some folks simply attach to the hand crank while others wrap the cable around the winch drum.
I modified a winch by drilling the center of the drum so that I could have equal turns in both directions and then wrapped around the snow chute drum.
Works great!
If it freezes up I can 'un clutch' and rotate manually.

/ Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric..
I bought the motor on ebay for $60.. I have seen the winch idea, personally I don't care for the setup of it.. It's pretty simple to just install a small worm gear motor, you just have to make sure all your brackets align perfectly because the shaft has to be perfectly straight, it took me a while to get it mounted just right..

/ Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric.. #5  
How do you limit how far the motor can rotate the chute? Do the teeth on the chute just end and the worm gear turning the chute just stalls?
Do you plan on having some limit switches or does the motor come with internal limit switches.

Dave M7040

How do you limit how far the motor can rotate the chute? Do the teeth on the chute just end and the worm gear turning the chute just stalls?
Do you plan on having some limit switches or does the motor come with internal limit switches.

Dave M7040

Looks to me the teeth are all the way around the shute, I have it on a DPDT momentary switch that goes back to neutral when I let off the toggle. I don't believe it has a stop but I could be wrong. I don't see the need for a limit switch because I will be watching the Shute when I move the switch.

/ Smowblower Chute Manual To Electric.. #7  
Looks to me the teeth are all the way around the shute, I have it on a DPDT momentary switch that goes back to neutral when I let off the toggle. I don't believe it has a stop but I could be wrong. I don't see the need for a limit switch because I will be watching the Shute when I move the switch.

I admire the ingenuity of the worm gear installation. My question, not well phrased, was trying to understand if atsah had tried to parallel a hydraulic system.

In hydraulic applications, the control valves can have detents so you can move the lever and then do other things while the action takes place.

Like the retraction stroke on a wood splitter. While the push plate is retracting, you can be picking up another piece for splitting.

I guess you would only point the chute at yourself once if you are on an open station tractor :)

Dave M7040

I admire the ingenuity of the worm gear installation. My question, not well phrased, was trying to understand if atsah had tried to parallel a hydraulic system.

In hydraulic applications, the control valves can have detents so you can move the lever and then do other things while the action takes place.

Like the retraction stroke on a wood splitter. While the push plate is retracting, you can be picking up another piece for splitting.

I guess you would only point the chute at yourself once if you are on an open station tractor :)

Dave M7040

It's not like a log splitter, when you let off it stops, I can't think of anything else I would be doing while turning my chute, I have a soft cab so I should fine in the unlikely event I point the chute at myself.. LOL