snake zapper for my partner?

/ snake zapper for my partner? #11  
.22 with a ratshot shell

.410 with #8

or that multi-pistol using .45lc birdshot.. or the .410 #8

I'd think the small rifle/shotgun.. single shot.. like walmart sells.. would be less recoil than the pistol.

soundguy

/ snake zapper for my partner? #12  
.22 rifle with shot would be the most quiet, but it won't be as effective as a .410 shotgun. By the time you buy a 410, I think you might as well buy a 20 gauge. Unless she has some other reason to carry a rifle or shotgun, I don't think she is going to like carrying one. Then you get into the pistol area and they are sure enough loud to require hearing protection.

Don't make light of the walking stick and garden hoe suggestions. I killed a copperhead at my garage door with a garden hoe. Shooting a snake on concrete next to the house wouldn't be too great of a plan.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #13  
IMHO.. a woman concerned with recoil is not going to like one of those large pistols.

A small .22 rifle.. or single shot .410 can be pretty light to tote.. as for price... should be able to pick up .410 or 20ga at gun shows in the 50-99$ range.. least that's what i see them go for all the time.. I could bring home truck loads at that price.

20ga gets you into a heavier gun.. more stuff to tote, and a lil more recoil... .410 or .22 long arms will virtually absorb and nullify all the recoil for those little shells.

snake onthe patio? coax it into the grass then light er' up. I've never had a snake survive ratshot from a .22lr.. gutshots take longer.. but do work.. though I would -always opt for a head/(high)neck area shot... no need for it to suffer.. it just needs to go away.

I'd think a ranged arm is infinately safer than a hoe or shovel for a snak that can / will strike. Get a good 5+ foot snake and see how far it strikes.. then look at where you are standing and holding that shovel.. puts you pretty close to the 'business' end of the snake...

I like the "point and click method" much better..

soundguy

/ snake zapper for my partner? #14  
I didn't know that snake killing was so complicated. Around here you can buy a whole bundle of tobacco sticks for $10, great for a walking stick too and if you break one killing a snake, you got a whole bunch left for backup and they don't make a lot of noise either.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #15  

soundguy

Me too although I do have a an edging tool with a straight blade and a 5' handle for places where I can't use a firearm.

Just this morning I went under the deck out back to clean the pool filters and there was what I thought was a rattler coiled up next to the pump. The nearest firearm was the 20 gauge and it took care of the problem but it did mark up the concrete and pellets did rattle around a bit. Turns out it wasn't a rattlesnake but in the dim light under there it sure looked like one and I couldn't see the tail. I've still got to check and see what it actually was but I think it was a rat snake.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #16  
We have a 4 prong fishing spear leaning against the back wall. (Its called William Snakespeare). Its about 5 feet long and weighs nothing. The barbed prongs mean that when you hit the snake it can't go anywhere even if you just wing it. Its also ideal for getting a snake out of tight spaces like chook pens. Then you just get the axe and chop its head off. Personally I find it 'safer' and more convenient than using a long handled spade.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #17  
IMHO.. a woman concerned with recoil is not going to like one of those large pistols.

A small .22 rifle.. or single shot .410 can be pretty light to tote.. as for price... should be able to pick up .410 or 20ga at gun shows in the 50-99$ range.. least that's what i see them go for all the time.. I could bring home truck loads at that price.

20ga gets you into a heavier gun.. more stuff to tote, and a lil more recoil... .410 or .22 long arms will virtually absorb and nullify all the recoil for those little shells.

snake onthe patio? coax it into the grass then light er' up. I've never had a snake survive ratshot from a .22lr.. gutshots take longer.. but do work.. though I would -always opt for a head/(high)neck area shot... no need for it to suffer.. it just needs to go away.

I'd think a ranged arm is infinately safer than a hoe or shovel for a snak that can / will strike. Get a good 5+ foot snake and see how far it strikes.. then look at where you are standing and holding that shovel.. puts you pretty close to the 'business' end of the snake...

soundguy

Your average snake can only strike only half it's body length, your average mature rattle snake is 3' long.

A hoe, stick, shove...etc is quiet and easily mastered which is what the op wants.
ANY firearm requires practice to be half way effective under normal circumstances, if she is afraid of snakes she may not be able to hit anything she is wanting to kill.

/ snake zapper for my partner? #18  
S&W .357 Model 686 is perfect as previously mentioned. Stack it with the snake loads and .38 or .357. I bought my wife one. She shoots .38 Spl Wad Cutters for practice and packs the .357 Hollow points. I take it from her when I go into snake country and load it up with snake loads...works great! Nailed several rattlers before Idaho F&G decided to put them on the protected list!

/ snake zapper for my partner? #19  
A H&R single shot .410 can be gotten cheap. It would be light, easy to carry and simple. If she wanted a self defence handgun a Taurus "Judge" in 45/410 works very well as a snake killer too. I got one a few days ago and it work wonders on water mocassins.;)

/ snake zapper for my partner? #20  
Your average snake can only strike only half it's body length, your average mature rattle snake is 3' long.

Them are babies compaired to what we have down here... notice i mentioned 5+ feet. i didn't mention that for no reason.. i was placing context.

A hoe, stick, shove...etc is quiet and easily mastered which is what the op wants.

Oh really.. are you SURE you read the first post?.. if not.. here's a direct quote...

the dispatcher of choice needs to be fairly light (weight, recoil) and real easy to hit something with. Say in the 20 gauge (max) to 410 range. Anyone have favorable experience with something more or less idiot proof (say, a single shot) that's essentially point and shoot, and if it doesn't hit something it won't wake up the whole county

Seems to me hes asking about a smokepole.. not a stick...

ANY firearm requires practice to be half way effective under normal circumstances, if she is afraid of snakes she may not be able to hit anything she is wanting to kill.

Why own a gun if you can't shoot it.... kind of like owning a car and not knowing how to drive.

If the wife wants to dispatch snakes.. this seems like a great time for some family shooting time at the range , IF she doesn't already know how...

soundguy