Snap On vs. Craftsman!!!

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #11  
Morning DEERSLAYER.
I like Snap On also Black Hawk when come to useing wrenches 3/4" and up,for the wrench sides aren't form almost to a knife edge...Sears are and gloves are needed so one doesn't bring pain to finger joints or hand when hard tighting or loosening nuts...I do have small set of Sears wrenches etc.. for the light jobs tho.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #12  
Being that I counted on my toold for my mortgage paymebt for over 15yrs, I can honestly say that if I had a choice between Craftsman and any "tool truck", the truck would win... I personally prefer Snap On for most tools, over the others.. They are, without a doubt better quality than Craftsman as far as reliability ang quality.. The wrenches, as Donnie said, are worth their weight in gold.. The metal is different, the configuration of the wrench is different(as hard as that may seem to understand) and they are more comfortable.. Craftsman has cretainly come a long way over the years and the quality has gotten much better.. In fact, I have no problem buying them now for home use, but I definitly wouldnt rely on them for making a living.. A broken tool, or one that flexes when it shouldnt will cripple a professional technician.. At home, you'll make due, or go trade it out... Just my opinion, but it definitly matters.. My tool kit at work(not mine) often frustrates me because of the Craftsman, Cornwell, SK, etc crap that fills it.. They would be find for general use, but not for my environment, where we count on them..

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #13  
DEERSLAYER said:
Are Snap On tools really made that much better than Craftsman to justify the big price difference? I have alot of Craftsman and a few Snap On and I just don't know, for instance the craftsman pro polished ratchets seem pretty nice. What do you guys think?

For the occasional mechanic work around the farm Craftsman is really fine for me and all I need. If you do not know or notice the difference between your Craftsman and Snap On I would say you do not use the tools you have enough to matter anyway.

I am not sure who makes the tools that NAPA sells, I never thought to check. I would think that NAPA would not sell junk tools.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #14  
Craftsman named tools have been manufactured by many different companies over the years. I still have my first set of Craftsman wrenches and sockets that I bought in 1968 and prefer them over some of the newer craftsman and other cheap brands that have found there way to me over time (Usually gifts). Granted I don't make my living with them, just fix or maintain lots of other tools with engines.
I also have and still use my fathers old Craftsman Joiner, Planer and other woodworking equipment he bought in the early 1950's that he used in his business. He liked to tell stories if it was a Craftsman and it ever broke he could take it back and get a new one. I only knew of him taking back a pair of channel locks that he snapped in half but he told the story many times.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #15  
Danaher currently makes Craftsman tools. However, during 2005 they moved production from Springfield, Mass to plants in Texas and Arkansas. This explains the drop in quality. Expect quality to be back where it was if it already isn't.

Danaher also currently makes Kobalt for Lowes. Stanley made Craftsman until 1994 when Danaher got the contract. Since 2000, Danaher has been gobbling up contracts to make branded tools for several companies. MatCo, Kobalt, and Craftsman are just a few of their well known brands.

Danaher is a rather large conglomerate that is the parent company for several other companies including Jacobs (of drill chuck fame), Matco, K-D tools, Fluke (meters), and about 87 different companies/divisions altogether.

They also own several import tool companies (Chinese and Taiwanese) that produce lesser brands for the el-cheapo places like Wal-Mart. The biggest competition for Danaher in the tool business is Stanley. As of a few years ago, both were about the same size, hand tool sales revenue wise.

Craftsman brand hand tools (sockets, wrenches, etc) have always been made in the USA by Stanley or Danaher (or one or their numerous USA based companies or plants). Craftsman electrical and air tools have been made by many different manufacturers. You can tell who by looking at the fist part of the part number to the left of the dot. That code will identify the actual manufacturer.

Sears supplier cross reference

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #16  
I feel like there is a difference, but sometimes it is worth it too me, and sometimes not.

The most dramatic difference that I could show you would be if you go on most snap on trucks, they will usually have a little board there with some rounded bolts and a variety of sockets from different brands, the snap on will hold and the others will not.

At one point I was an aviation sheet metal guy, and the guy that had to pull out the rounded and stuck bolts etc. I cannot tell you how many times I would go to the aircraft that the mechanics could not get the screws with 5/16" heads out of and I would go there with my Snap on stuff and pull it right out. That display board they have is not a "trick". That said, my 1/4" stuff was snap on, my 3/8 stuff was Mac etc. My 1/2" stuff was Craftsman / Penncraft and my 3/4" stuff was chinese. My wrench set was an S&K that I really like the feel of but the smaller 5 or 6 wrenches (below 9/16) are Snap on's that I probably paid as much for each wrench as I did for the S&K set.

I think there is a place for all the tools, we were talking about the chinese wrenches last night, in general, their quality is junk, but, about two weeks ago, I was in Louisville with the mowing truck and tractor, and broke a loader mount, pulled out the cheap chinese wrench set, put it on the bolt, pulled out the $2 claw hammer and beat on that wrench and got the bolts out, would never have done it with my "good" tools that way but fixing that one job was worth what I paid for those tools right then.

Anyway, are they better, yes, but as Bird pointed out, there are multiple reasons that professional mechanics choose them, not the least of which is the payment plan. Are they the better value for everyone, absolutely not....

I still get sick every now and then when I am out on the tractor working with the wife, and I will look down and she has my $60 snap on ratcheting extended screw driver digging mortar out of the concrete mixer (a personal favorite of mine, a tool that just put's a smile on my face everytime I use it) We are then off to Bill's Wholesale for an assortment of cheap and junky tools just for her!

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #17  
I mostly agree with what Bird said but with a few changes. When I bought my Snap-On tools in the late 70's and early 80's I think they were much better than you could get in the store. Craftsman didn't have the smooth chrome wrenches that were easier on the hands over the bumpy sears stuff. But I also paid through the nose, Still have my $800 Snap-On tool box from back then, all on a payment plan, from my weekly visit from the Snap-On man. Today I think the tools are just about as good, all the lines are about the same. But Snap-On is so expensive. I have some cheap HF tools, look and feel are just like the Snap-Ons, but the quality is down. I don't make my living with them anymore so it's not as important.

But the Snap-On guys aren't very nice if you don't deal with them regularly. Twice I had some broken screwdrivers in the truck, saw a Snap-On guy and walked into his truck. He did fix them but I could tell he was not very happy doing it. tough I guess.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #18  
But the Snap-On guys aren't very nice if you don't deal with them regularly.

Those guys on the trucks, whether Snap-On, MAC, or Matco, are actually independent businessmen, sort of like a franchise. So you'll find a variety of personalities, knowledge, experience, etc., just as you will with tractor dealers.

Now I don't know for sure about Snap-On, but I suspect they're much like Matco when it comes to warranty on hand tools, such as screwdrivers. The company actually does not warranty them if they decide the problem was abuse rather than a defect. So the guy on the truck gives you a new one, then he sends the broken one in to the company and hopes they replace it. Some they do; some they don't. Many of the Snap-On distributors will give you a new tool regardless of why yours broke, just as my brother did with Matco tools. He warrantied them to his customer whether he lost money on the deal or not.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #19  
I have both craftsman and a few snap-on tools, but the wrenches I used the most are my Benchtop (K-mart used to sell them) I am not a professional mechanic, but some of my friends are, and I know Mac and Snap-on are their choice. But for the average do it yourselfer, don't look at the name, just make sure they are "Chrome Vanadium" not "chrome plated" I think that is more important. I've been buying the hand tools at Harbor Freight and the CV sets are just as reliable as my craftsman stuff. Although I haven't had to yet, the people at Harbor Freight said they would replace broken tools.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #20  
does anybody have an opinion of the John Deere tools?
I have started buying some sets of those, full warranty,
and close to!
but so far, no complaints.. the ratchets seemed good,
maybe not "snap on" good.. but much nice than
the craftsman that i have., (all of which the ratchets are junk)