Snapping Turtles

/ Snapping Turtles #1  

DaRube

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500HSD
We have suspected that we had snappers in our pond, but yesterday there was a confirmed sighting of a "more than a footer".

Our coursin, who was there at the time, offered this rural newbie these factoids:

1) There's probably more.

2) Turtle traps are available and work pretty well.

3) Turtles have 7 different kinds of delicious meat on them. (My wife would kill me)

4) If my dog (labrador) or I...were to go into the pond, the turtles would head in the other direction.

5) They aren't pests so nothing needs to be done about them.

So whaddaya you guys think about these points?

/ Snapping Turtles #2  
Live on the lake, as such..spend various amounts of time splashing and/or boating. Only once in 13 years have I seen one on/in the lake. Also maybe about 12 inched diamater..head seemed as big as a fist or so..?

The thing looked mean and nasty as all get out..but since it was actually in unpopulated cove verses our cove, my one experience would be consistent with what you were told. I sure would hate to find out the hard way, otherwise /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Richard

/ Snapping Turtles #3  
Saw one grab a duck by the head once on a lake in Michigan. Made quite a ruckus! Sure would hate for him to confuse some part of me with dinner./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Snapping Turtles #4  
We also have some land on a lake edge. There are snapping turtles present. They are very shy and about all one see's is the head or a sort of wave going across the water. Sometimes the carpace will be above the surface. They come within 50 or so feet of the lakeside campsite and I actually spend much time watching for them. Several years ago we came upon one laying eggs in the field. I covered over the area with some brush for protection but never seen anything hatch. No scanner so can't post a picture we took.

Egon

/ Snapping Turtles #5  
We had one crawl across a field by the house last year. It was maybe 16 inches. It looked like it had come from a small pond back behind the house and was heading for a drainage ditch on the other side of our property. I guess they migrate from pond to pond sometimes. We're not far from the Missouri river where there are some real monsters. I was riding my bike along the trail by the river once and darn near hit one crossing the trail. It looked like it was at least two feet long, with a head as big as both my fists. We used to catch them in my granma's creek. They're not really aggressive usually. They'll face you and open their jaws, which is probably enough to warn off most enemies. They can move surprisingly fast sometimes, but they won't chase you or anything.

Chuck

/ Snapping Turtles #6  
The only bad/annoying thing I know of about snappers is sometimes when you are fishing and you leave the fish you are catching on a stringer, they will snack on your fish. I've seen come pretty big chunks taken out of a decent sized catfish my friend had on his stringer. Other than that, they're not really a problem.

As to No.7, they are pretty good eating.

/ Snapping Turtles #7  
They do wreck havoc on ducklings and between them and crowes will kill every duckling and gooseling there unless they get big enough first. If you only have one pair of ducks it is hard for their youngings.

/ Snapping Turtles #8  
Some information from the net.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snapping Turtle
Chelydra serpentina serpentina (Linnaeus)

The snapper is our biggest freshwater turtle, up to 35 cm shell length. Recognize it by its size, its muscular limbs and long tail or by the sawtooth back edge of its carapace. Colour usually looks greenish-gray or dark green because of algae growing on the carapace. Underneath, the plastron is much smaller than the carapace, so this turtle cannot protect itself by drawing into its shell. It looks like a size 10 turtle in a size 6 shell! This, plus its slowness on dry land, explains the snapper's aggressive behaviour when threatened - it cannot run or hide, so its only defence is attack. If molested, it will lunge forward with a neck that can reach halfway back to its tail, and cause a painful bite. In water, snappers are shy of humans and will swim away quietly. They only come out on land in late June and early July to dig a nest and lay eggs. Leave them alone.

Happiest underwater

Underneath showing small plastron

Snappers frequent shallow lakes and streams with lots of plants. They eat fish, amphibians, and some bigger and smaller creatures located with their especially keen sense of smell. Unlike Painted Turtles, they are rarely seen out of the water basking in the sun. They hibernate underwater in winter. In Nova Scotia, snappers are most common in the southwest; there are only 3 reports from Cape Breton, believed to be released captive turtles. If you find a snapper in Cape Breton, please let the Museum know.

Egon

/ Snapping Turtles #9  
Just to be on the safe side I would not go skinny dipping in that pond./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Snapping Turtles #10  
Especially with this guy in there. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Attachments

• 8-126238-AligatorSnapper.JPG
    8-126238-AligatorSnapper.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 6,712