Snobs moving to the country

/ Snobs moving to the country #171  
We had this discussion at my sisters house last night. They moved to an rural address in October or September, but is still fairly close in to town. The close neighbor while you can't see his house, can see the part of his yard with a derelict boat or two, old cars and trucks- just rather unkempt. I would think that the original thought was to put a tree block in that area and move on. But then upon closer inspection my BIL felt that some of this "junk" was actually on their property. We'll have to get a surveyor over here and, well you guess where the discussion was heading. The end result was to get the junk cleaned up by whatever means. My opinion was the end result would be to have a good relationship with the neighbor. At least not a confrontational one. If it turned into that, well so be it - you tried. Both my sister and BIL are good folks, not overly social. He earns his living with his hands and so does his next door neighbor. Contractors of different sorts. It could be a good neighborly relationship to have. I continued on that as they live in Washington, I believe it is an adverse possession state. I may be askew here, but the guy that used /maintained the side of the fence in question has more right to it than the guy who owns it and the fence in the wrong place may not matter. Any thoughts on this?

/ Snobs moving to the country #172  
If you are certain of your property lines go from there...

No sense stirring the pot guessing.

I have one Washington neighbor that has a couple of wood piles on or over... with 17 acres and no neighbors to see... it doesn't bother me in the least...

Being away having a good neighbor to call is priceless... he called last year to say a tree had fallen across my gravel drive... I asked if he needed any wood... he is about 80 and heats everything with wood... he was as pleased as could be... and solved a problem for me... later his daughter emailed a picture showing it all cleaned up...

Don't get me wrong... I will got to the mat on principal... but most of the time a measured approach works best...

Could be growing up in the city... you tick off someone with good reason... you might just come home and find your home shot up and on the evening news... all because a friend flipped off someone in front of my home... it does make you think just how vulnerable you are...

/ Snobs moving to the country #173  
We had this discussion at my sisters house last night. They moved to an rural address in October or September, but is still fairly close in to town. The close neighbor while you can't see his house, can see the part of his yard with a derelict boat or two, old cars and trucks- just rather unkempt. I would think that the original thought was to put a tree block in that area and move on. But then upon closer inspection my BIL felt that some of this "junk" was actually on their property. We'll have to get a surveyor over here and, well you guess where the discussion was heading. The end result was to get the junk cleaned up by whatever means. My opinion was the end result would be to have a good relationship with the neighbor. At least not a confrontational one. If it turned into that, well so be it - you tried. Both my sister and BIL are good folks, not overly social. He earns his living with his hands and so does his next door neighbor. Contractors of different sorts. It could be a good neighborly relationship to have. I continued on that as they live in Washington, I believe it is an adverse possession state. I may be askew here, but the guy that used /maintained the side of the fence in question has more right to it than the guy who owns it and the fence in the wrong place may not matter. Any thoughts on this?

Howdy

I couldn't parse through that last part to well (I need more coffee maybe), but IMO if a fence is in the wrong place, it needs to be moved. I am not of the eminent domain camp that someone gets to own property that isn't theirs because they think they have some right to it. Again, I might be reading the post wrong though. I can get pretty cranky when people are on my property. It is mine. A concept a lot of folks can't wrap their heads around....the concept of "mine".

Good fences make good neighbors, though they need to be in the right location.

/ Snobs moving to the country #174  
The whole idea of adverse possession REALLY pisses me off. It's just wrong. I don't care if someone else maintained part of my property for YEARS. Just the thought of me paying taxes on my land that someone else gets to use at their disposal is infuriating.

I don't really have a relationship with either of my neighbors, I get the feeling that's how they like it and it's OK by me. If I saw either of them struggling with anything at all I wouldn't hesitate to ask if they wanted or needed a hand. But don't try to take something that's mine, as I wouldn't do the same to any of them!

Edit: if either of them walked over and asked permission, that's a whole different story. Not that I'd allow permanent use but temporary would be fine by me. All depends on the situation, I suppose.

/ Snobs moving to the country #175  
Isn't that the way? I'm not innocent in these matter either. They want the quietness of nature, then start firing guns or mount the BOSE speakers on their decks that you can hear a mile away at night! It's always all right as long as it's your noise/music.

Or turn the virgin country side into a junk yard with all manner of man made garbage.

If I had new neighbors that turned out to be into motocross or running a dog kennel, well let's just say, that probably wouldn't end well.

Live and let live, only seems to work if you can't see, smell or hear the other!

We just found out a wolf sanctuary bought the place directly to the south of us. Yeah us

Brett

/ Snobs moving to the country #176  
Howdy

I couldn't parse through that last part to well (I need more coffee maybe), but IMO if a fence is in the wrong place, it needs to be moved. I am not of the eminent domain camp that someone gets to own property that isn't theirs because they think they have some right to it. Again, I might be reading the post wrong though. I can get pretty cranky when people are on my property. It is mine. A concept a lot of folks can't wrap their heads around....the concept of "mine".

Good fences make good neighbors, though they need to be in the right location.

Moved to the country, SW Va 5 years ago, from upstate SC. Came here for the house / land of now 94 acres, and... peace and quiet. Had property surveyed first month here... pissed off two neighbors, one was cool, knew he probably had that shed on my land and moved it; no big deal. The other lost his &*%^, and won't look at me to this day. I plow everyone's driveway when it snows, except his, and apparently none of the other neighbors like him either. Respect is big here, as well as not talking down to someone, and being friendly. I have made it no secret we came here to be left alone, and so far so good. We give very generously to the local fire and rescue squad, and support local business's. I don't care that I am the outsider, and they don't seem to care either.

/ Snobs moving to the country #177  
Moved to the country, SW Va 5 years ago, from upstate SC. Came here for the house / land of now 94 acres, and... peace and quiet. Had property surveyed first month here... pissed off two neighbors, one was cool, knew he probably had that shed on my land and moved it; no big deal. The other lost his &*%^, and won't look at me to this day. I plow everyone's driveway when it snows, except his, and apparently none of the other neighbors like him either. Respect is big here, as well as not talking down to someone, and being friendly. I have made it no secret we came here to be left alone, and so far so good. We give very generously to the local fire and rescue squad, and support local business's. I don't care that I am the outsider, and they don't seem to care either.

Absolutely with you. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Help the community you live in, anonymously usually in my case. Be friendly with me and I will be a true friend to you. Mess with my family or my property and I will show you nightmares you didn't think could exist.

/ Snobs moving to the country #178  

If you were my neighbor I’d bring you over homemade chocolate chip cookies anytime my wife made some.

Brett

/ Snobs moving to the country #179  
If you were my neighbor I’d bring you over homemade chocolate chip cookies anytime my wife made some.

Brett

Hmmmm... that would change the whole dynamic of wanting to be left alone. They would have to be really, really good. :licking: