Snow snow blade questions

/ snow blade questions #1  

comancheflight

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HC
I thought I would ask a simple question (s).

1.) Snow blade edge markers, flags or whatever they are called.
What are they for? If using a regular blade is it worth adding?

2.) You always see snow blades where the top curves over unlike regular blades the have just a slight curve. Why? Would it be advantages to add a horizontal rubber piece to a regular blade to simulate that curve.

Thanks for sharing

/ snow blade questions #2  
1. Markers are used to mark obstructions/edges/curbs where snow is deep and the object may be hard to see.

2. The curve aids in "rolling" or curling snow. Helpful for long drives/parking lots. It's easier to push rolling snow and prevents it from cresting over the plow.

/ snow blade questions #3  
The markers are just that. Markers to show the edge of the plow blade which may sometimes be difficult to see plowing during a storm.

The curved top or rubber foil on top of the blade helps prevent snow from coming over the top of the blade which could then get on the windshield limiting your vision. It can be a disadvantage trying to stack snow.

/ snow blade questions #4  
When you are using a vehicle to plow there are many times you can't see the blade either because of the hood, the angle, or the amount of snow going over the top. Some obstacles you need to be very close and knowing where your blades at is critical. I have never used a snow foil or flap but I have heard good things about them from people who plow in areas prone to wind. I would have to think that the viability in a tractor is better and if your blade didn't come with markers than they aren't worth adding (you can rip them off in wet or frozen snow).

/ snow blade questions #5  
The markers are as others advised. The rolled over top on plows helps roll the snow while plowing instead of it coming over the top as George mentioned. I use a back blade and the top has no roll over. I added a rubber flap, about 8 inches, on the top of my blade and it helps keep snow from coming over the top. Tried a piece of horse stall rubber mat first but it was to stiff and eventually broke. Stopped by a pickup truck plow shop and picked up a piece that works well. If you're stacking snow, it will eventually just bend up straight with all the pressure but not break.

/ snow blade questions
Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a couple of bolt on markers. I will mount a top piece of rubber mining conveyor belt material to the top. Don't understand why the horse stall material broke since this is what lot of people swear by to sandwich between the blade and cutting edge to not dig gravel and claim they last unless mounted on top the bolts pull through without all the support the cutting edge supplies.

/ snow blade questions #7  
I mounted it to the top edge of the blade but just used big washers to sandwich it down. My mistake. The horse stall mat wouldn't flex enough and finally ripped out where I mounted it. The other rubber plow piece will flex some and I used a long piece, width of the blade, of 1/8" x 1 1/4" flat stock steel to mount, sandwich it, to the blade lip. Two Winters and all is good.