Snow blower purchase

/ Snow blower purchase #31  
I bought the same Craftsman model as shown here Craftsman 8HP 27" Snowblower - farm & garden - by owner - sale over 10 years ago for $375, and it's still running strong today. If you can find one of these big wheel craftsman or similar they will serve you well for not a lot of money - $3-400.

Replaced the belts and adjusted the drive wheels 5 years ago and it still runs great. Elec Start, no fancy turn stuff, does have reverse, but I just walk it back. Does all our paths (several 100 feet each) across lawn and driveway where the tractor doesn't go.

But if you want new, an Ariens 24 or 28" 2 stage Professional model are very good, but also over $1K, and then Honda machines are great too, for $2K+. Depends on your budget and wife - what she prefers in running a SB - happy wife, happy life!

/ Snow blower purchase #32  
Owned five different Ariens and rebuilt several. Currently own two: an Ariens Pro Hydro RapidTrack and the previous model Honda 928 track. Both tracked, hydrostatic machines.

The Ariens moves a lot more snow. The Honda throws far and is a lot lighter, so we use that one in the city.

The Ariens was purchased as a backup for our place in NH and we’ve maybe used it 10 hours. The tractor is a lot faster.

i-CR98dqK-L.jpg

/ Snow blower purchase #33  
Owned five different Ariens and rebuilt several. Currently own two: an Ariens Pro Hydro RapidTrack and the previous model Honda 928 track. Both tracked, hydrostatic machines.

The Ariens moves a lot more snow. The Honda throws far and is a lot lighter, so we use that one in the city.

The Ariens was purchased as a backup for our place in NH and we’ve maybe used it 10 hours. The tractor is a lot faster.

i-CR98dqK-L.jpg

How is the Arien tracked machine ease of handling wise? I have been debating adding tracks to my 30" Ariens, but I'm concerned it may be more difficult to handle.

/ Snow blower purchase
But if you want new, an Ariens 24 or 28" 2 stage Professional model are very good, but also over $1K, and then Honda machines are great too, for $2K+. Depends on your budget and wife - what she prefers in running a SB - happy wife, happy life!
I don't necessarily want new. I want something that will not throw my gravel drive into the lawn and something that will be easy for the wife to use when she needs to. Because as you say happy wife....

/ Snow blower purchase #35  
My Father bought a new Ariens back in 1977 . The same year I graduated High school and went in the Navy. So he lost his snow shoveler. I believe the Ariens is a is An 8 hp 32inch cut. I am 62 now and am using the the same snowblower to my driveway. It is a beast! I do routine maintenance along with belts , a couple bearings and the rubber drive wheel. One thing I do every year is paint the inside of the chute ,auger, impeller and everything else in there with Kubota orange. Its a good color match and dries hard. I get the can of paint form tractor supply and brush it on. Snow does not stick. I believe it will out last me.

/ Snow blower purchase #36  
I can recall many moons ago buying a 28" Ariens from a dealer in 'kit form'.
It had all new bearings and everything but a motor, paid $50.00
It so happened that I an industrial 6 hp Wisconsin that I adapted.
We ran that machine for a bunch of years (8-9), I say we as I shared it with my neighbor as I traveled a lot back then and he'd do my drive when I was away. His was double wide sunken garage so it was like 3 drives.
Never snapped a sheer pin either.
For sure Ariens gets my vote!

Early models had superior gear boxes in that they used bronze gears vs later being aluminum.
Also I've had a few that have passed thru my hands over the years and I've always admired them for being rugged and well designed.
They were never shy at using steel vs tin in their builds and also bearings vs plastic bushings.

/ Snow blower purchase #37  
The only issue with the craftsman machine is the tiny rectangle discharge area that clogs very easily in our typical heavy snow. Add the Belting material on the impeller... Problem goes away.
It's called the Clarence modification. Kits are expensive, just buy the belting material at Farm supply type stores

/ Snow blower purchase #39  
I have a honda hs1332. this is the only machine that requires 0 effort, except for slight hand strain. my mother is 78, and uses it. every single wheel machine needs to be man handles from time to time.

/ Snow blower purchase #40  
If you are trying to stop throwing gravel with a snowblower take a look at ArmorSkids at snowblowerskids.com. They really do a great job of clearing my long pea stone drive without throwing the stones all over the place.

I think you can order them now from Home Depot online as well.