snow blower widening

/ snow blower widening #1  

Stomper

Gold Member
Tractor
2017 Kubota L2501
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or the snow removal section. Being it's an attachment question, I put it here. Throughout the winter I have been using my FEL for plowing and moving snow instead of my PTO blower because I can move more snow faster. Average snows here are usually less than 5" so the FEL works better. Having said that we have gotten a lot of snow this year and now I have huge 6' piles of snow all over that I would like to blow further into the bush before it starts to warm up and melt. I gave the blower a try today for this and it moves a lot of snow and will work great. I was surprised that it cut right through the hard pile with ease. Problem is, my tractor width is 60" and my blower width is only 50". As soon as my tires hit the 5" per side that the blower didn't get, I start to spin. Has anyone tried to add "wings" or something to widen the blower and help direct the snow towards the auger to help solve this problem or would this just worsen the issue in packed snow.

/ snow blower widening #2  
Some TBNer's have added wings and like the out come,make sure good thickness and well fasten to blower tho.

/ snow blower widening #5  
I made wings for my 5 foot blower when I had it. They added about 8 " to each side. Worked great in new fallen snow - weren't heavy enough for hard packed or frozen snow. As I remember they were 12 or 10 gauge steel. For hard packed or icy conditions - I'd recommend 1/4 inch and some form of back bracing also.