Snow Attachments Snow blowers and gravel drive ways

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #1  

NIXON

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3130 hst
Does any one here use a blower on a gravel driveway ?
If so , how do you keep the gravel (up tp 3b ) from damaging the thrower ? TIA, John

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #2  
The only way would be to keep the blower off the gravel and leave the blower an inch or two off the ground. BUT all it takes is one rock to have a bad day. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Replacing sheer bolts is a real pain, not to mention the damage to the drum and fan.

During the Big Snow storm, I passed by the neighbors that had gravel driveways /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #3  
I use my walk-behind snow blower all the time on my long gravel drive. I set the skid shoes high, around 1" and haven't had any problems. Once the drive is covered in a solid snow pack layer, I can safely lower the skid shoes with no fear of picking up gravel.

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #4  
With my 3 point snow blower I set the skids up as high as they go. I also shorten up the top link. This angles up the lower lip of the snow blower. I also carry spare shear pins and a wrench on the tractor.

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #5  
I have a front mounted snowblower and maintain about a mile of drive way and private road. Here in Montana, we allow a base of 2-4 inches of compacted snow to build up. Before then, it is a chore. I, like others, set the feet to its highest setting. I also do not use the float until the base builds up.

As this said, you will still pick up gravel from time to time and you will get very good at replacing shear bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

One day I would like to add a blade for light snow and early/ late season work. But with heavy snow the blower is my far the best choice for removing snow.

Rick Allen

/ Snow blowers and gravel drive ways #6  
I start off with the feet extended. I still manage to break a pin or two. Once the snow gets compacted, I lower the blower all the way and have no problems until Spring.