Snow Attachments Snow chain hitting my frame.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame. #11  
I could not install chains on my Mahindra 2615HST as it came form the factory. The older models (mines a 2004) only have 1/2" between the frame and tire. Newer ones (2006 and up) have different backspacing on the wheels which move them out enough for chain clearance. Wheels are not able to swap from side to side to get the spacing needed. I had a machine shop make up 2" spacers for my rear wheels and bought the longer bolts at a local fastener store. Haven't bought chains yet but do have a 900 lb. counterweight on the 3 pt. With the snow we got last night (about 16") I sure could have used chains today. Lots of tires spinning without them even with the weight. Guess I'll have to get a set. My wheels are 6 bolt on 6" spacing. Many compact tractors use a similar pattern. I've attached the drawing (supplied by another member) that I supplied to the machine shop.

Attachments

• spacer-1.pdf
    257.7 KB · Views: 207
   / Snow chain hitting my frame. #12  
I have the same model DK35 SE tractor with the same problem. My first DUO chains were similar to yours. They came down too far on the tire sidewall and hit the frame. I returned them for a shorter cross chain pattern of 13 chain links and am able to make those work. I had to pound the cross chain hooks flatter to get the required clearance. They still are close to the fender post but they do clear.

If I was doing it again I would get DUO's with 11 or 12 cross chain links so they ride higher on the tire. I may eventually modify my chains by removing 2 links. It would be a lot of work and I would need to add two DUO patterns to each side. I got a quote for those patterns this year at around $40 each I believe. So that would be around $200 with connecting links and taxes, plus a lot of work. I would likely be further ahead buying new chains.

My chains work OK now but if I were doing it again I'd get something like Trygg or Aquiline. Even then there would be a problem if the side chains come too low on the tire. The single piece rim, wide 43x16-20 tires, and very limited clearance are problematic with chains sized to sit 1/2 way down the sidewall. I think my cross chains are around 25 or 26" long. With two less links they would be around 22" I believe.

Wheel spacers would work but would likely be expensive. I wish the DK35 had two piece rims so clearance could be increased that way.

Mine work fine since I flattened the cross chain hooks. I do need to make sure I get the inside side chain above the thickest part of thhe sidewall and pull them tight with bungees.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame.
Thanks, guys. I am going to try and let some air pressure out as I am to factory spec now. If that doesn't work... I guess it's spacers as I am past the point of returning them to tirechains.com. It would be nice if that would be a question they asked before recommending chains for a tractor though.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame. #14  
On my Kubota if I had AG tires there would be plenty of room for chains but because I have R4s it uses different rims. I'm running semi truck chains that I shortened and only go 2 links over the edge of the tire.Just have to keep them tight still not much room.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame. #15  
I have made spacers out of Lexan (polycarbonate plastic) and they worked fine - You can order the 1/2" 3/4" or 1" thickness from most glass shops.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame.
Well, I let the air out of my tires to 15# and it's still hitting. I guess I am gonna get plates made up this week. A buddy owns a fab shop and said he would make them for me for the price of the material. Thanks for the info.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame. #17  
Could you swap the rims left and right, some have a different offset to widen or narrow the wheel track.. if this was mentioned , sorry i missed it..This might add enough room for your chains.

/ Snow chain hitting my frame. #18  
Those spider bungies are sweet! I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they make a set that will fit a tractor tire. I had clearance issues also and got the tighteners that are in the attached picture. Since then I moved my wheels out and now have good clearance. Problem is, these the top of the line spring tighteners work great but take as long to put on as the chains do. That spider bungee would be all I need now.

PS here's also a picture of my buddy when we moved the wheels out... left is in, right is out.

Attachments

• chainss.jpg
    chainss.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 157
  • in-out.jpg
    in-out.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 134
Last edited: