Snow Chains On The Front Only ??

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #41  
Just a couple of comments on front chains;
they will be much better then nothing,
they will not provide the grip that rear chains do on a tractor with small tires in the front,
studded chains will grip much more then the various twist links do,
the diamond or square patterned Euro type studded chains grip better then any other conventional chain.

CADplans, enjoy your chains you will have a bumpy ride but they will grip much better then none.

BrokenTrack, on your skidder the fronts only may work good for you, of course haveing an equal sized tire on the front might have just a tiny bit to do with that. Imagine trying to get thru the woods with a little front tire on that such as a compact tractor. I still prefer chains on the rear primarily with them all the way around for the real serious use.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ??
Don't you have dual brakes on the 4105? My 4010 had them. That's what you use to steer in snow/ice. Yeah, R4s don't steer even on wet grass. One bad thing, other than their hard ride, about them.

Ralph

Only one brake pedal on the 4105,,, so steering is only due to the steering wheel, and front tire traction,,,

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #43  
I have turf tires on my JD2210 and never needed chains or studs. I wouldn稚 like the damage to my high polish concrete.

I can relate to this. Only when the snow is really wet do I need more traction than my turfs provide. I can stall the motor pushing snow with the front end loader if I'm not careful.

/ Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #44  
   / Snow Chains On The Front Only ?? #45  
Just a couple of comments on front chains;
they will be much better then nothing,
they will not provide the grip that rear chains do on a tractor with small tires in the front,
studded chains will grip much more then the various twist links do,
the diamond or square patterned Euro type studded chains grip better then any other conventional chain.

CADplans, enjoy your chains you will have a bumpy ride but they will grip much better then none.

BrokenTrack, on your skidder the fronts only may work good for you, of course haveing an equal sized tire on the front might have just a tiny bit to do with that. Imagine trying to get thru the woods with a little front tire on that such as a compact tractor. I still prefer chains on the rear primarily with them all the way around for the real serious use.
Another point; look at the size of your rear differential, then at how much smaller it is for the front. Which one do you want to put most of the strain on when you start working it hard?