Snow Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s...

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #11  
Another thought; lower air pressure in front tires for more bite with tire edge. Off roaders always run low air pressure for more traction.

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s...
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your responses!!!

I'm going to try:

1. Moving the CC kill to the clutch, so I can brake steer better.
2. lower the pressure in the fronts (though I fear floating)
3. flip and iron up the fronts, just to see. It's REALLY icy here in Vermont these days, not like I'll be in grippy dirt or mud..

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #13  
KrisHansen:

Just be careful running your tractor on hard dry surfaces when wearing chains on both your front and rear tires.
4WMFWD systems need some "slip" in the front drive mechanics. I do not see a problem on ice and/or snow or mud for that matter.

Jay

So I tried chains.. Mounted up a set that I had on the front tires of my Atv.. They fit, but just barely. Noticed almost no improvement, so I took them off.. Didn't get around to moving the cruise control switch.. That'll be next. Either that, or I'll rig up a hand control for the hydrostat treadle.

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #15  
weight will be the logical solution, I think. My TC 29 slides around on snow but if I raise the FEL a bit it usually will respond. I think on ice nothing will work ( maybe studded tires) . Add suitcase weights to front "bumper" . If you do not have any; borrow some from dealer or neighbor to try. Are your rear tires loaded? Maybe load front tires? Add weight to front rims?
Drive backwards all the time. LOL I have turfs on mine, in my opinion, turfs work better in snow and ice; I have not even used chains, we do not get the snow you get, but on occassion we get alot.
I wonder if a tire shop may be able to get some studs in your tires? I have seen people actually put screws in tire for traction ( short of course). Just thinking out loud.
Looking at your picture; I would assume that the blower is raised during your front driving problems. That blower HAS to be lifting alot of weight off front tires. Rear brake steering may make the best sense or add weights.

I may try some ice studs for ATV tires. They're basically glorified sheet metal screws...

I'm hesitant to add weight to the front, because I do still use the loader for heavy snow, and don't want to overload the front end..

thanks again!

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #17  
FWIW, I have the same problem using my front blade. If trying to push too much snow with the blade angled, it steers the tractor. I have turf tires. Called my dealer inquiring about weights for the front tires, he said he was more than wiiling to sell them to me but they would not help. He said push the snow with the blade straight on the first pass thru, then take smaller bites if needed after that. This does work for me. Greg

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #18  
Can you run a turf on the front only? I don't know if the drivetrain will slip properly? I run a TC33 Turfs, Loader, 7ft rear blade, + Vbar chains on fronts only for the icy days....works great on paved roads and flat pasture areas

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #19  
No you can not run R-4 on rear and turfs on front. Different rolling circumferance.

/ Snow chans, front tires, TC33d with R4s... #20  
Dirtball said:
Can you run a turf on the front only? I don't know if the drivetrain will slip properly? I run a TC33 Turfs, Loader, 7ft rear blade, + Vbar chains on fronts only for the icy days....works great on paved roads and flat pasture areas

Certain turf sizes match up quite well with R-4 sizes. For example Titan 23x8.50-12 4 ply R4's spec out close enough to 23x8.50x12 6 ply turfs to be interchangeable. Loaded radius 10.2 vs 10.2 and rollong circumference 68 vs 66. More than a couple of our customers successfully run R4 fronts against turf rears. No reason the opposite wouldn't work. At the end of the day, tread style is really immaterial; it's all about tire dimensions.