Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow clearing

/ Snow clearing #11  
Re: snow sticking/not rolling off the blade-- Get it down to clean paint and hit it with Turtle Wax (Car wax). If you don't have that, rub on some solid wax, ski wax, canning parafin or candle wax then heat it in with a heat gun or propane torch. I do this with my plow blade and snowblower chute....works great....lasts at least several storms which is the whole year in NJ.

If you get a particularly wet snow spray some Pledge furniture wax over the other wax before you head out to plow.

/ Snow clearing
I bolted a uhmw sheet onto the blade and waxed it up too. It is definitely a big improvement, but I still haven't got things quite right. I think that the the issues that are left are possibly due to the setup on the 3 pt, the unevenness of my driveway and I think pebsas has a lot to do with it too.

Bruce.

/ Snow clearing #13  
Re: snow sticking/not rolling off the blade-- Get it down to clean paint and hit it with Turtle Wax (Car wax). If you don't have that, rub on some solid wax, ski wax, canning parafin or candle wax then heat it in with a heat gun or propane torch. I do this with my plow blade and snowblower chute....works great....lasts at least several storms which is the whole year in NJ.

If you get a particularly wet snow spray some Pledge furniture wax over the other wax before you head out to plow.

53gravely, thanks for the suggestion. I can personally attest that waxing the blade makes a big difference. Earlier today, I was out plowing my driveway and neighborhood road with a 60" Wood RB. Even though I had the blade set to the maximum angle, the snow frequently stuck to the blade. While I thought it was working, it didn't seem to work very well.

After reading your suggestion, I used a weedburner to melt off the snow and applied a layer of sno-seal (which really meant as waterproofer for leather boots). After doing a quick test run, I could see that it made a world of difference. The tractor didn't seem to work as hard and I could go faster. The snow curled up in a nice furrow off to one side.

With another 4-10 inches predicted in the next 24-36 hours, I think I'm ready for it.

/ Snow clearing #14  
Darn global warming making the winters colder with more snow. Brrrrrr Heck global warming is responsible for one of the coolest summers on record for us. Only 2 days hit 90. Was great for AC non-usage!!

jb

/ Snow clearing #15  
I use varnish at the start of each season, works great and isnt too much of a hassle... well thats my input...

/ Snow clearing #16  

Good Afternoon Duncan,
Hey ole buddy very good post, and great suggestions !!! BTW after 5 years on TBN shouldnt you have more than 123 posts ??? :confused::)

/ Snow clearing #17  
to avoid digging, you can also try angling your toplink so the blade tilts more forward and the cutting edge is more dragging across the surface than try to cut into it.

i'm experimenting with a graphite paint product this year. the farmers use it on combines and such to help keep things flowing. i've already painted my backhoe bucket to see if it will help the wet clay empty out. next is the bottom of the mower deck, front face of the back blade and inside of the FEL bucket....

i'll try to let you know if it works. an easier solution is probably just to pressure wash it each season and spray it down with oil or grease it up....

amp

/ Snow clearing #18  
I got er done but I am sure there is an easier way.

I do it this way ....... its pretty easy (but don't tell my wife its easy!);).

Attachments

• Snowblowing December 004.JPG
    Snowblowing December 004.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 176
  • Snowblowing December 011.JPG
    Snowblowing December 011.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 213
   / Snow clearing #19  
OK, we consider it rubbed in. :)

/ Snow clearing #20  
You got alot of good advice a front blade is the best, but you can use your FEL but as others said lift it up so you don't dig up your drive or asphalt. I use the back blade for additional clearing. I use an FEL I will get a blade later. However, in western NY we have had some 12+ inche snow falls already; no big deal. I have had no problems. Also, the FEL allows you to lift and push the snow so it gives you more room to plow if the snow keeps on coming. Snow piles tend to get quite high after a while. Hiring a front end loader to come in and move snow so you have more room to park and push can get expenisve.