Snow Attachments Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid
It has been hashed over a bunch here. If you put the FEL in float and load the plow up you will drive your front tires off the ground. Best bet is to set up the plow to float on its own and just adjust your FEL height when you have to.

That is a key observation I was not aware of and is mentioned by a couple of you. Since my Q/A plate won't be here until the end of the week, I have a little time to experiment with my bucket. It would surely sway my decision toward attaching the A-frame to the Q/A plate so it can flex/float.

Before posting, I searched on FEL float, but didn't see anything about its effect on the front wheels.

John

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #12  
Do you ever have to put the loader back on to push banks back? How long would the switch take ? Nice stronge looking setup you have there.

I push banks back (rarely necessary) by pushing them straight back as far as I need to. That means I'm 90 degrees to the roadway. If I'm in high gear with fast ground speed when plowing normally, the snow flies off this plow pretty far, so there is not a lot of bank that builds up. I have weighted rear tires and extra iron weights on the front end. I put some extra springs on this setup to keep the plow from tripping easily. Since I usually run with the plow angle at 30 --> 45 degrees (maxed out), I get a really smooth driveway and my main road looks pretty good, too. It will only trip if I hit a seam in the concrete just right with the plow straight ahead. Mushroom skid shoes are set about 1/2" down from the blade. The loader is a Quick Attach mount. Pull 3 pins, pull 4 hoses off and back out. Go pick up the loader. Its about a 5 minute job to switch. Putting the plow back on takes longer because I have to line up the front lift cylinder rod end with the swivel on the A-frame. That's iterative without some help. So, that takes about 6 minutes.

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #13  
Just a suggestion, But if possible try to get the plow to mount as close to the plate as possible.Maybe even under the QA plate itself.It make a huge difference with it not out so far.

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #14  
ZZVYB6 I might have to push back every third storm or so depending on the snow type and wind. I have places that can drift in bank top to bank top over night if conditions are right and the best defense is to keep the banks pushed back and low so the wind sweeps over and down to the road surface then over the other bank without dropping it's snow load. I don't know if the plow on the loader will be more useful then the bucket. Being wider 9+ ft with the wings vs. 73 " for the bucket it can push more with each push but it cant pick up a bucket full and carry it to a pile. I'll know better in a few storms.

Getting the blade as close to the Q/A plate as possible is one of my goals. I was considering anchoring the cylinders used for angling behind the plate. But, if the A-frame floats on the plate, I won't be able to do that...everything is a trade off.

John

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #16  
Getting the blade as close to the Q/A plate as possible is one of my goals. I was considering anchoring the cylinders used for angling behind the plate. But, if the A-frame floats on the plate, I won't be able to do that...everything is a trade off.

John

I can picture how you could rig it to be pinned behind the loader arm ends and still be able to pivot up and down freely. It would require a slot to allow the A frame to move up and down and some trailing arms back to hold the plow push beam.

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #17  
Mine pivots and has a chain,I do not float the FEL.Works well but is quite a ways out.

/ Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #18  
IMG_0499.jpg
This is how I did mine without disturbing the original bracket and holes.There was another poster on here who built it under but still pinned on the original brackets. Hope this helps.I also added a pipe to the top with a hook to accept the chain so it floats .

@chopped
How did you attach the hydraulic cylinder?

For what I need to do, I am thinking of going back to the manual, at least for this Winter. The plow I am using has an E60 pump and both cylinders are functional.

John

Last edited:
   / Snow Plow Float, Chain, or Rigid #20  
Oh had not thought of that. well of cource the top cylinder (to light) hasnt been used. The two to angle it are connected to some 1/4 hose and go to the rear where I put in a valve.So it still will angle.
FYI I originally wanted to tie them into the 'curcle' chlinder quick connects and use the bucket curle function to angle it.But was told by the mechanic at the shop that it wouldnt work. And he was right, That was before I knew about the ''re-gen'' circuit in the loader valve that some tractors have.So if you should use that route be sure to find out if the tractor loader has a 're-gen' circuit .(there is a good thread here about it somewhere).