Snow Attachments Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #21  
i've used my rear blade for 30 years, never needed anything else. i guess a front blade would be nice but they are expensive and that money could be used for more important things.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade
i've used my rear blade for 30 years, never needed anything else. i guess a front blade would be nice but they are expensive and that money could be used for more important things.

Got a lot of snow, or live in a place that regularly gets a lot of snow, or have lots of drives to do, there isn't any more important things!!!:D:D:D

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #23  
   / Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #24  
While I enjoy plowing snow using my FEL, I've owned 3 full-size 4x4 pick-ups with plow set-ups, and IMHO it's the only way to go if you're plowing a lot of snow.

I'd have one now if I could justify the cost - But then my justification for having the tractor would be weakened considerably, and I will not give up the tractor...

My .02, and worth every penny! :D

Lunk

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #25  
Ah, yes, the age-old question, how to move snow? I've read so many answers to this question over the years that it makes my head spin. So many times I've read things here that are 100% contrary to my experience that I have come to one of two conclusions ..... either half of us are brain dead (not sure which half I'm in!), or the answer to this questions depends COMPLETELY on your circumstances. Read on if you want a long-winded explanation as to what works for me and why.

As for my circumstances, I need to clear about a half a mile or so of GRAVEL road, which is a key factor in determining what works for me. My tractor is a JD 4320 (almost 50 HP), with a cab, which makes any method more bearable. I live in Maine which means two things... we get a lot of snow, and it usually doesn't melt until sometime in March or April ( though this winter, so far at least, is an exception!) It is generally not sufficient to just push the snow to the side of the road, 'cause if you do, there is a pretty good chance you will run out of room before it melts.

I started out with a 7' Woods blade on the rear. It actually worked reasonably well, especially when the gravel was frozen. Most of the time I drove forward with the blade facing backwards; this kept the blade from digging into the gravel minimizing damage to the roads, and allowed me to get done quickly as I was moving forward as fast as I could. The problem came in when the snow started to pile up on the sides of the road and I needed to push back the snow banks---that was always a royal pain using the FEL.

My next try was with 7' front loader-mounted hydraulic-angle blade. As alluded to here, I spent less time turned around, but overall I found it more troublesome than the rear blade. It was very difficult to control the blade angle well enough to keep it from digging up the uneven gravel roads as the blade was so far out in front of the tractor. Also, when the snow got deep or heavy, the front blade would tend to push the front of the tractor around, instead of the other way around.

Next I tried a 78" Lorenz rear blower. Again this has its advantages, most notably the ability to touch the snow just once. It is especially effective with deep, heavy, wet snow that is just a real pain to push around, no matter how you are pushing it. The problem, though, is it is SLOW compared to using a blade, and looking backward all the time is a literal pain in the neck.

In the end, my tool of choice now is a heavy-duty LandPride RBT4096 rear blade with three-way hydraulic adjustments. This blade is heavy, wide, tall, and most importantly has the ability to swing out to either side of my tractor. This allows me to push side banks back without getting my tractor down off the side of the road ... something I could never do with the front blade. The ability to control the angle of the blade and the location of the blade makes for quick work. I still have my rear mount blower, but only use it when we get a big storm over 12 of wet snow, or if the gravel is just too soft to touch with a blade.

So, I've tried them all. In my case, under the conditions I deal with, the front-blade was definitely not better than the rear blade. Unless your circumstances are like mine, you probably will have a different experience.

One other comment ... Someone suggested that a front blade and rear blower would be optimal. In my opinion, it's the other way around. I want to put my blower up front, and keep the heavy blade on the rear. In that case, I will always be moving forward ? something my aging neck will appreciate. Plus, I will be able to use both blower and blade at the same time: blow a 6.5' path, then clean-up and widen with the 8' blade swung out to one side. I just need the $4K it takes to buy the kit to put my blower out front.

Bob

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #26  
I started out using the FEL to plow snow the first year I had the tractor, and that was heaven. I got a rear blade the next winter and it made a huge difference and the combo worked well. I got a used plow from someone for free and rigged that up to the FEL in the bucket and used that for two years. Manual angle, and that worked good too. I had to lose the rear blade in place of more ballast though.

I found a used Curtis 6 1/2 foot blade in great shape, ready to go with hydraulics for $850. I love it kind of the best of the loader and blade. I sprung for a Curtis Fastcast spreader with a 3ph mount this year and that made a huge difference. I have a pretty steep driveway and often have to through down salt just to continue plowing as the driveway glazes over.

So, I love the front blade/hydraulic set-up, but the loader rear blade was completely functional and effective as well at much less cost.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #27  
I will be using a rear woods brand hydraulic blade and a frontier 7 foot front blade on loader arms this year.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #28  
Ah, yes, the age-old question, how to move snow? I've read so many answers to this question over the years that it makes my head spin. So many times I've read things here that are 100% contrary to my experience that I have come to one of two conclusions ..... either half of us are brain dead (not sure which half I'm in!), or the answer to this questions depends COMPLETELY on your circumstances. Read on if you want a long-winded explanation as to what works for me and why.

As for my circumstances, I need to clear about a half a mile or so of GRAVEL road, which is a key factor in determining what works for me. My tractor is a JD 4320 (almost 50 HP), with a cab, which makes any method more bearable. I live in Maine which means two things... we get a lot of snow, and it usually doesn't melt until sometime in March or April ( though this winter, so far at least, is an exception!) It is generally not sufficient to just push the snow to the side of the road, 'cause if you do, there is a pretty good chance you will run out of room before it melts.

I started out with a 7' Woods blade on the rear. It actually worked reasonably well, especially when the gravel was frozen. Most of the time I drove forward with the blade facing backwards; this kept the blade from digging into the gravel minimizing damage to the roads, and allowed me to get done quickly as I was moving forward as fast as I could. The problem came in when the snow started to pile up on the sides of the road and I needed to push back the snow banks---that was always a royal pain using the FEL.

My next try was with 7' front loader-mounted hydraulic-angle blade. As alluded to here, I spent less time turned around, but overall I found it more troublesome than the rear blade. It was very difficult to control the blade angle well enough to keep it from digging up the uneven gravel roads as the blade was so far out in front of the tractor. Also, when the snow got deep or heavy, the front blade would tend to push the front of the tractor around, instead of the other way around.

Next I tried a 78" Lorenz rear blower. Again this has its advantages, most notably the ability to touch the snow just once. It is especially effective with deep, heavy, wet snow that is just a real pain to push around, no matter how you are pushing it. The problem, though, is it is SLOW compared to using a blade, and looking backward all the time is a literal pain in the neck.

In the end, my tool of choice now is a heavy-duty LandPride RBT4096 rear blade with three-way hydraulic adjustments. This blade is heavy, wide, tall, and most importantly has the ability to swing out to either side of my tractor. This allows me to push side banks back without getting my tractor down off the side of the road ... something I could never do with the front blade. The ability to control the angle of the blade and the location of the blade makes for quick work. I still have my rear mount blower, but only use it when we get a big storm over 12 of wet snow, or if the gravel is just too soft to touch with a blade.

So, I've tried them all. In my case, under the conditions I deal with, the front-blade was definitely not better than the rear blade. Unless your circumstances are like mine, you probably will have a different experience.

One other comment ... Someone suggested that a front blade and rear blower would be optimal. In my opinion, it's the other way around. I want to put my blower up front, and keep the heavy blade on the rear. In that case, I will always be moving forward ? something my aging neck will appreciate. Plus, I will be able to use both blower and blade at the same time: blow a 6.5' path, then clean-up and widen with the 8' blade swung out to one side. I just need the $4K it takes to buy the kit to put my blower out front.

Bob

I think it also depends alot on your tractor and the type of blade or blower you have. Not all are created equal. I found that the blade on the front FEL worked the best for me. I bought a 9' snowblade at an auction and made it fit. The way that it is hitched to the FEL though allows it to float so you don't have to worry about it digging into the driveway. I too have a uneven gravel driveway and a solid mounted blade on the front I am sure would be difficult to keep it from digging in. The snowblade I have little less than $300. I do think that a rear blade is nice to pull the snow away from buildings and such and is a nice rear ballast.

Last winter I couldn't get the tractor to my front blade when we got the big snow (stupid move on my part not to have it on). I used the box blade, and it did a great job in moving the big snow. However turning around is a pain th neck when clearing alot of snow.

Whatever you use I would want the primary snow removal tool to be on the front so it is easier to see what you are doing.

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #29  
I plan on using this setup this winter with the front FEL blade and the rear box blade mounted on my new McCormick CT65U. Can't wait to try it out. I used to have this snowblade mounted to the FEL on my old MF 135 and a rear counterweight.

100_0149.jpg

100_0150.jpg

100_0151.jpg

/ Snow: Rear Blade vs Hydraulic Front Blade #30  
That looks like a snow moving machine!!:D