Snow Snow Removal JD4100

/ Snow Removal JD4100 #21  
The 60" was the width I needed. When moving snow you really want to avoid driving over untouched snow because that will just pack it down. A blower won't scrape, so ice is a bad thing /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

This week I had to move ~ 6" of extremely heavy/wet snow and the machine couldn't care less /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif - went right through it. I use low range when maneuvering around or near things like my garage or cars and high range when I 'm going straight. Every once in a while I wish I had a middle range, but for those times I'll use the low and just be patient /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

I have to admit that if I rarely got more than 3'' at a time and already had a front blade, I probably would put the $1,600 towards something else ... unless moving the snow out of the way is too hard with the blade.

The 790 is 30 HP - what's your 770?

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
18-26750-markcg2000.gif

/ Snow Removal JD4100
Mark: Thanks for getting back; this is my first time using this (or any) forum so excuse my awkwardness. I think the 770 is rated 28.5 gross (whatever that is), 24 net and 20 PTO HP. It has plenty of power for me. I always felt the ultimate snow machine would have a blade on the front and a blower on the rear. Whatever situation was presented, you would be ready! In retrospect, if money and garage space would allow, I think the ultimate would be a front loader w/ the bucket off and a Curtis type blade installed and the rear blower! My driveway is 700-800 ft. and when we get 10-12" of snow, the bottom 60 yds will drift 2-4 ft deep. Thus my interest in a blower. I've plowed it when 2.5 ft deep but it's time consuming and probably a little harder on the machine. 93/94 was a huge snow season in PA-the tractor and blower would have been nice. I hope to be prepared next time it happens! I've heard of blowers "plugging" so I wonder what causes that-probably a function of drum/impeller design and snow weight. ie. would a large 4 bladed drum/impeller such as the Pronovost move too much snow and it plug it in the chute? I guess that's the question: where do they usually plug and why? Or more likely, would a large/deep 4 bladed drum move the snow out so fast it doesn't have a chance to back up and plug? Also, I have a modified driveway so skid shoes are required I would think. Once you get experience with the deep snow, I imagine that 2-stage clutch will be very handy. Yes, an intermediate rear speed would be nice, and I've perfected the shifting technique (while stopped) to prevent all grinding. Good luck with your 790. I'll post more often in the future...I could say lots about my JD experiences. Most of the issues are similar to what everyone else has run into...ie. the buying/pricing experience; the lift capacity--which still really baffles me 'cause the hydraulic pump capacity of the JD was very similar to all of it's comp., but the lift capacity at the same distance was always far less! I concluded alot of manf. are very liberal or JD is very conservative!

/ Snow Removal JD4100 #23  
Gene,
You have /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif to register, man! We need as much <font color=green>green</font color=green> here as we can get /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

If you get instances of +8", then a blower would work out really well. I have black top, so I didn't get the skid shoes. My neighbor across the street has a gravel drive and he is older, so I'm thinking of doing something about keeping the bottem off the ground so that I can do his drive safely.

On any snowblower, the chute is what plugs. The bigger the chute and fan, as well as the more the blades on the fan, the better. Also, keep the chute "slick". I've heard guys talk about using silicon or simply painting to get rid of rust. The stuff that plugs the worst is of course the wet snow, just like what packs the most when you drive on it.

18-26750-markcg2000.gif

/ Snow Removal JD4100 #24  
Mark: I think I'm registered. They didn't accept my password and assigned a real funky one. Thanks for the info. We got a couple inches of snow last night...might have to go out and play a little tonight! I mounted a Hella pencil beam driving light I had laying around on the rear fender. Put a switch in the light housing for on/off. Here's a big reason for going JD. I wanted the correct electrical connector to clip into the harness. Called the dealer at 11:00 am; he didn't have it but said the $1.75 part would come from Syracuse and he should have it next day at noon. He did and there was no charge for freight!

/ Snow Removal JD4100 #25  
Yeah, I stopped by mine (Ontrac in Henrietta) for the exact same reason. He said his main store in Brockport had it and he'd have it here tomorrow. I wasn't sure I really wanted it - could always splice /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif - but he said that he didn't care, he'd get it just so that I could see it./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I'm convinced that good dealers are a whole lot more important than the tractot <font color=green>color</font color=green> /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-26750-markcg2000.gif

/ Snow Removal JD4100 #26  
Do you plow driving forward or backwards. And if you go forward does it pickup the snow that you have packed down under the tires.
Thanks BC