Snow Attachments Snow Removal Options for my CUT

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #11  
Re: Snow Options for my CUT

I had a front blade on my first tractor. Worked well, but was a real pain to get on and off of the old Cub.

Have been using a rear blade only on a Ford 1210 4WD from around 1993 till now. Most snow is removed by driving through the snow and casting it to one side or the other. Big drifts or heavy snows require rotating the blade and going backwards. Our Winters have ranged from almost no snow at all, to the occasional blizzard. 10" of snow from one storm is considered a pretty fair amount for us,

This year I have a B7500 w/FEL. I bought a 6' rear blade for it, and it works very well. TSC had them on sale last Spring for around $160. The FEL is handy, but the rear blade is still my weapon of choice for most of the snow removal.

#3 Son and I went out to play when I got home from work last Thursday. I took the Kubota and rotated the 6' blade to the left, #3 Son took the Ford and rotated the 5' blade to the right, and away we went. Most of the snow on the driveways was removed in less than 5 minutes. The driveways amount to around 500 feet in length. Of course there was the parking area to do and we found some banks to push back (OK, and ran around to the neighbors, played in the yard, etc.)......................chim

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #12  

Paul -- We get a lot of snow, but generally not the sort of huge dumps that you see on the news. The most I've had to plow was 15" or so. My ideal rig would be a snow blade up front and a blower in the rear. That way I could push the snow away from my stone walls into the middle of the road, then blow the pile up and over the walls. But like others have said, those sort of extreme measures are only needed every 4th year or so. So I'll continue to angle the rear blade and move the snow that way, using the FEL to push back piles when necessary.

Pete

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #13  

A cautionary note about snow pushing, based on a recent storm.

Here in North Carolina, we're digging out and melting away what's left of one really ugly ice/snow storm. Friday I had to clear about 1/4 mile gravel road with the FEL. It was maybe 6-8 inches of the heaviest, rutted slush and ice I've seen in a long time.

Tractor with ballasted R4's had no trouble slicing and pushing it, but I did snag a few embedded rocks jutting out from the gravel and probably decapitated a few. Raising the front lip of the FEL helped some, and there was no apparent damage. But hitting unseen, immovable objects is really hard on the equipment, and the next time I do this stretch of road, I'll scrape with the boxblade and save the loader for the heaps of snow. At least the shock impact of hitting a rock would go to the 3 pt., not to all those expensive loader pivots.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #14  
Last year I bought a Woods RB 60 rear blade for my B-7500 and did not have an opprotunity to use it, the past storm dumped 9 inches of snow the rear blade did a great job and was very user friendly I had no trouble and it was my first time plowing snow. I use to dread snow storms, however with my new toy er equipment I'm looking forward to a snowy winter.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #15  

I also have a 54" Puma (in Kubota orange, I might add /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif). I bought mine last December for about 1500 CDN - really not a lot of money for what you get. My 3ph lawn mower was more expensive.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #16  

Yeah I also would like a deal on a cab, then I would spring for a heater in my 4100.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #17  

When you use your FEL or Blades on blacktop are skid pads needed? I used my FEL last time and floated it on the surface (no skid pad). It seemed to scract the blacktop a little. Any suggestions?

- Brad

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #18  

I do use skid pads, and eventually I want to get the "squigee" that goes on the blade.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #19  

We get a little snow here but usually goes away in a day or so. I use a 7' back blade for it, maybe once or twice every couple of years. For you fellows that are at it most of the winter. Have you thought of taking a truck tire, cutting both sides away from the tread and bolting it to the bottom of your plow? I would have the inside facing forward, and when first put on I would run it around on dry pavement to true the bottom of it.
Enjoy the snow, living near the ocean, which actually keeps us very moderate, we get very little.

/ Snow Removal Options for my CUT #20  

Hi, Nuru.

Save yourself some money on the squeegee this way:

1) Head out to your nearest Tractor Supply store and buy a 4' by 6' cow mat. Cow mats are solid rubber, about 5/8" to 3/4" thick.

2)You will also need to pick up some carriage bolts and nuts that are the same size and steel grade as the stock cutting edge bolts in your blade, but probably 3/4" to 1" longer.

3) Cut a strip from the long dimension of the cow mat that is about 1" to 1-1/2" wider than the cutting edge from your front blade. Trim the length to match the cutting edge length. A utility knife works fine with a couple of steady passess--careful ! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

4) Use the cutting edge as a template to mark and drill holes in the rubber strip that will accommodate the same bolt pattern as the cutting edge and moldboard.

5) Sandwich the squeegee strip between the cutting edge and moldboard and secure with the longer bolts(see attachment). Of course, save your shorter bolts for when you remove the squeegee in the spring for use in the dirt.

I think JD charges over $65 for the 54" squeegee kit and all it is is a strip of rubber with the corresponding holes drilled, and a set of longer bolts. A cow mat will cost you about $40 and you will have a lifetime of squeegees from one mat. I use my slightly undersized cow mat remnant on the floor in front of my work bench as a fatigue mat. I set my skid shoes 1/4" higher than the squeegee blade bottom so there's nothing but rubber hitting the asphault or pavement when I plow, but the skid shoe will protect from a real deep gouge if I bottom out for some reason.

Never worry about scraping or gouging again. This is a real fast setup. I plowed seven, 250'+ asphault driveways of 5" of snow last week in about 2 hours. My neighbors love to see me out in the winter.

Works best, of course, on asphault or concrete. Rotate (flip-flop) the sqeegee a couple times each plowing season otherwise it will wear and fold in one direction.

Good luck,
Pete

Attachments

• 5-217109-squeegee1.jpg
    5-217109-squeegee1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 139