snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
Had a Kubota L4740 hST. Wicket tractor but it had 4000 hours on it so sold it. Looking at buying a new tractor. Looking at a M4D-071
which is a gear tractor.

1. Anybody have any experience with M4D-071 for snow removal.
2. Any thought about the pros and cons of gear as appose HST.
3.One thing comes to mine if you hit something you let off the peddle on the HST. Gear you have to turn around then depress the clutch or click the forward button either would not be as fast as HST peddle. Any thoughts.
4. Do I need a creeper gear?

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #2  
I use a geared tractor with a front loader mounted truck plow. No issues. Plow ought to have trip springs to avoid solid impacts. I see no need for a creeper gear because snow removal ought to be done at relatively high speed to break the snow mounds free. Otherwise it packs up. Faster you go, the farther the snow will fly off of the plow.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #3  
What type of equipment are you using for snow removal?

If snow blower then having slower speed for deeper snow is a benefit.

If blade and doing longer driveway with very few short pushes or minimal backing up required either would work.

What else will tractor be used for besides snow removal?

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #4  
Checking the specs and looks like the M4D-071 has hydraulic shuttle with electric over hydraulic control. You don't need to use the clutch to change directions. Just flip the lever back and forward and vice versa.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #5  
Don't overthink it. Have been moving snow for 30+ years with a geared tractor and the snow has always been moved.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #6  
Many of them in the snow fleets using pull type blowers. Guys love them

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #7  
The first half of my life I used geared tractors for snow removal, and the second half HST. The job got done with both, but my preference is HST to save clutching and shifting. A good operator will be able to adjust to whatever transmission he / she has, and be on the clutch plenty fast when necessary.
I have no seat time on the variations of geared tractors other than the old standard clutched manuals. I suspect the GST's, reversers, etc are much more convenient and flexible.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #8  
Definitely not as convenient as a HST. For finesse, speed control, or direction change nothing can compare to a HST. But that dont mean other options are close and also easy to use. So I agree, dont over think it. The M4 would be a nice plowing tractor for sure.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #9  
My only issue moving snow using a blower with a geared tractor was finding the right speed. Snow consistency and depth change, and minor speed adjustments need to be made to keep from overloading the blower. Easy with an HST but can be a problem depending on the type of geared tractor transmission.

Not much difference between gear and HST using a plow. Keeping a foot on the clutch is a good idea though in case you hit something.

There are many other considerations to consider if you use the machine for things other than moving snow.

/ snow removal with gear tractor as appose to HST #10  
I bought a L2501 HST and then added a gear drive MX5200. It felt very strange going from the HST to the gear drive.

Also, the HST makes it so easy to just pick a speed range and then tailor the actual speed instantly to ground conditions.

I don't think the issue will be whether the gear drive will work so much as whether you want a gear drive after having a HST?