Snowblower questions

/ Snowblower questions #21  
Hey, that's a good video! Looks like your snowblower works great. Are you using the loader float with your Hiniker blade, if not how are you setting the height?

On my tractor I never use float for the snow plow. The plow itself articulates up and down as well as laterally while the loader stays fixed. All that movement from the plow pushes the plow out about an extra foot which works like a lever. Paul Short uses his loader's float and though I confess I don't understand how his plow floats laterally, I understand there must be some kind of provision. Anyway, Paul's use of the loader's float allowed him to suck the plow in closer by about a foot or so. My thoughts are that I want the plow's articulating bits to be the sacrificial parts rather than the loader (considering that I plow miles when it snows enough to plow).

All to say that when plowing with a snow blade designed for a SSQA, the snow blade does all of the articulation, not the loader. Paul Short's system allows his tractor to weight the plow when scraping driveways and lots, which is something that plows like mine that do all of the articulating forward of the SSQA plate cannot do.

To answer your question how do I set the height. The height is set by the loader, but the plow hangs lower. My loader positions matters only in so much as I have my loader low enough so that the plow can articulate over oncoming rises and falls, and so that I have the angle of attack set right. In this video my pucks are not really touching the ground (if you can spot them in the video), because I'm trying to get maximum "scrapage" with my blade. A bucket, or a plow set up like Paul Short's would allow me to be able to "dig in" a little better. The trade-off of those systems is that they are harder on the pins on the loader, IMO.

Make sense?

Last edited:
   / Snowblower questions
On my tractor I never use float for the snow plow. The plow itself articulates up and down as well as laterally while the loader stays fixed. All that movement from the plow pushes the plow out about an extra foot which works like a lever. Paul Short uses his loader's float and though I confess I don't understand how his plow floats laterally, I understand there must be some kind of provision. Anyway, Paul's use of the loader's float allowed him to suck the plow in closer by about a foot or so. My thoughts are that I want the plow's articulating bits to be the sacrificial parts rather than the loader (considering that I plow miles when it snows enough to plow).

All to say that when plowing with a snow blade designed for a SSQA, the snow blade does all of the articulation, not the loader. Paul Short's system allows his tractor to weight the plow when scraping driveways and lots, which is something that plows like mine that do all of the articulating forward of the SSQA plate cannot do.

To answer your question how do I set the height. The height is set by the loader, but the plow hangs lower. My loader positions matters only in so much as I have my loader low enough so that the plow can articulate over oncoming rises and falls, and so that I have the angle of attack set right. In this video my pucks are not really touching the ground (if you can spot them in the video), because I'm trying to get maximum "scrapage" with my blade. A bucket, or a plow set up like Paul Short's would allow me to be able to "dig in" a little better. The trade-off of those systems is that they are harder on the pins on the loader, IMO.

Make sense?

OK. About how much vertical movement does the Hiniker blade allow? You seem to be able to drop the blade to the right height pretty fast so how are you able to figure out where to stop the loader? Do you have some kind of marker? I'm guessing that you stop the loader around the midpoint of the blade's vertical movement.

Right now with my blade which has no articulation, I just use loader float once the gravel freezes but I think plow articulation would be a whole lot better for plowing gravel. Should be much less stress on the loader arms like what you show on your video.

/ Snowblower questions #23  
Paul Short uses his loader's float and though I confess I don't understand how his plow floats laterally, I understand there must be some kind of provision. Anyway, Paul's use of the loader's float allowed him to suck the plow in closer by about a foot or so. My thoughts are that I want the plow's articulating bits to be the sacrificial parts rather than the loader (considering that I plow miles when it snows enough to plow).

First Snow For 2016 /17 (The Last Snow Clearing Video) - YouTube

Well I think I mention in most if not all of our snowclearing videos that I seldom use the float feature. I don't use it often because it causes loss of steering control and when I get off the pavement it can cause the bucket or blade to dig into the ground if it is t frozen. Check out the video I attached and go to the 18:00 - 20:00 mark and you'll hear me even mention it. I also designed the blade to have laterial movement. It must have laterial movement to follow uneven ground. I also designed the blade to be in closer to the FEL to make it easier getting into tight spots and has nothing to do with the reason I moved the system closer to the FEL. I honestly don't understand how people can have those blades hanging out over the front like they do. With what I'm using I have full ability to scrape, back drag, angle and push snow up high.
Check out the video and you'll have a better understanding of how it works.

Attachments

• IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 95
   / Snowblower questions #24  
First Snow For 2016 /17 (The Last Snow Clearing Video) - YouTube

Well I think I mention in most if not all of our snowclearing videos that I seldom use the float feature. I don't use it often because it causes loss of steering control and when I get off the pavement it can cause the bucket or blade to dig into the ground if it is t frozen. Check out the video I attached and go to the 18:00 - 20:00 mark and you'll hear me even mention it. I also designed the blade to have laterial movement. It must have laterial movement to follow uneven ground. I also designed the blade to be in closer to the FEL to make it easier getting into tight spots and has nothing to do with the reason I moved the system closer to the FEL. I honestly don't understand how people can have those blades hanging out over the front like they do. With what I'm using I have full ability to scrape, back drag, angle and push snow up high.
Check out the video and you'll have a better understanding of how it works.

Paul, I watched your video from 18:00- 22:00ish. I thought you set your loader into float as you have 4 pucks and I don't understand your set-up's provision to follow the up and down of the road as it appears to me that you welded what was the floating portion of the truck plow, straight onto SSQA assembly. I've never seen an Arctic plow in person, and I presumed the lateral float is in the plow's center pin, but I still don't understand how your plow floats and assumed (my bad, smile) that you used the loader's float to get the plow to float.

/ Snowblower questions #25  
I have a bit of a unique situation when it comes to plowing snow. Half the time I'm on the pavement and the other half I'm on gravel so the Arctic plow had two front adjustable skids on it from day one but when I modified it to fit the tractor I added two more on the rear of it because it was moved back to the adapter plate and I didn't want the "A" frame gouging out the pavement if I had it tipped back so the rear two did the job. As for the lateral movement I have a specially machined bushing and pin made up that allowes for that movment in the center of the blade. Keep in mind I've been using this set up on tractors since 2008 and most of the time commercially. Try using float while turning your tractor. Not likely your get it yo turn well. I operated big heavy equipment for a living one time and float mode was really only used for straight pushes.

Attachments

• IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 110
   / Snowblower questions #26  
FYI - http://www.specialtyrepairs.ca/

No Start Page

Could not display this Web Site as no Start Page has been configured. To configure a default starting page, set one of your Web Pages to be the Start Page. Please contact your Administrator for more information.

/ Snowblower questions #27  
I bought a Pronovost 800TRC and have yet to have enough snow to use the thing. Wife says that's ok with her. I wanna use my snowblower!

/ Snowblower questions #29  
I bought a Pronovost 800TRC and have yet to have enough snow to use the thing. Wife says that's ok with her. I wanna use my snowblower!

Please post pics and videos when you do :)

That is the ultimate snowblower!