Snowblower questions

/ Snowblower questions
Thanks guys for the Pronovost info. I'm waiting until spring before I place an order for a blower and front blade so I have some time to figure out what to get. Got a 2.5 mile dirt road full of ice and snow that needs to melt before a big delivery truck can get to my place. Thanks!!

/ Snowblower questions #13  
Eric looks like we are running the same blower, do you have problems with heavy, wet snow? Mine actually does good with it as long as I can keep it fed. I am going to pm you. I have some questions about your tractor, don't want to mess up the op's thread. To the op, Lorenz makes a great blower. That will be my next one for blowing banks back. CJ

/ Snowblower questions #14  
Hey old AF
i live in Nw montana and did what you are talking about- would probably be better to discuss this via PM -essentially i imported it myself which because it is made in canada and and Nafta exists you just say its for your use show them the purchase papers and manufacturers plate at the border and off you go.

i don't believe there are any pronovost dealers in Creston or anywhere near there but the selling dealer will probably have the blower shipped to an ag location there and you just go and pick it up

Be

Thats true. It's best to just take a pickup and drive up and buy one. Not sure if it's true anymore but Canada used to give you back he tax if you are a US purchaser . You stop at the Canadian duty free store and ask in there. It's a form to mail in and takes forever but you get your money back or at least used to. You just show the receipt to the US Customs at the traffic lane and you are on your way. No duty since made in Canada and for your personal use. If you have a company ship one it has to go through a customs broker and you pay which is why it's best to just drive up and buy what you want. No fuss no muss, no shipping, brokers or dealers to all be paid off for the laying on of hands................Oh and I almost forgot you beat the sales tax in your own state as Customs doesn't work for the state and you don't have to register it . Sweet deal if you play it right.

/ Snowblower questions #15  
No duty since made in Canada and for your personal use.

Better hurry as ***** is about to change that.
If like with auto industry he wants to add about 30% duty.

/ Snowblower questions
Thanks everyone for the good info and ideas!

/ Snowblower questions #17  
for some reason i never ended up paying tax to canada or AB as the product was for export - too, if state tax is an issue he could always reenter through montana where there is no tax.

Importing yourself is dead easy and saves a ton of money vs a commercial importer

you just need a trailer or flat bed and a way to load it at the dealer

Thats true. It's best to just take a pickup and drive up and buy one. Not sure if it's true anymore but Canada used to give you back he tax if you are a US purchaser . You stop at the Canadian duty free store and ask in there. It's a form to mail in and takes forever but you get your money back or at least used to. You just show the receipt to the US Customs at the traffic lane and you are on your way. No duty since made in Canada and for your personal use. If you have a company ship one it has to go through a customs broker and you pay which is why it's best to just drive up and buy what you want. No fuss no muss, no shipping, brokers or dealers to all be paid off for the laying on of hands................Oh and I almost forgot you beat the sales tax in your own state as Customs doesn't work for the state and you don't have to register it . Sweet deal if you play it right.

/ Snowblower questions #18  
The drum is what all second stage fans are spinning in. The rotating drum simply rotates the drum off of the chute and to the side. Unless the equipment is used, or you're a commercial operator, or somebody with a special snow consideration, rotating drums aren't worth the extra expense, in my mind. Wet snow will stink with just about any snowblower. Consider these two videos. Same equipment, just different conditions: The first video and the snow is flying because the snow is dry. The second video and the snow isn't moving very well because it is wet and heavy. Yet, it is a same equipment and this is a monster of a rotating drum blower. oldafretired, thank you for the compliment on my videos! My used McKee 720 SnowLand'r is 86" wide, 30" tall, with twin 13" augers, and a 27" fan rotating in an 8" drum. The drum is fixed and sends everything up the chute. My tractor has something around 49 PTO hp. The blower is a good match for my PTO hp Even so my blower is of little use in wet and heavy snow, but is great for blowing back snowbanks, sleet-snow, and dry snows. McKee invented the modern 2 stage blower and sold them as McKee, John Deere, New Ideal, and some other brands. McKees are a good blower and there are a zillion different variations, but you can spot the McKee manufactured blowers by their distinctive auger design. I thought about an inverted blower but then realized that an inverted blower wouldn't be good at blowing back banks and high snow drifts unless I had a larger-framed utility tractor. At the end of the day, a plow will out-perform a blower every time until the snow gets so deep that your plow cannot plow it, then it is blower time. Too bad you're not in Minnesota as we have a pile of 3PT snowblowers for sale on craig's list.

Don't be so sure about wet snow stopping all blowers, Eric. My B2789 3-pt. blower blows all types of snow just fine, and my BX25 only has 17.5 PTO HP.

/ Snowblower questions #19  
Eric looks like we are running the same blower, do you have problems with heavy, wet snow? Mine actually does good with it as long as I can keep it fed.

My 720 is fine so long as I can keep it fed, as you say.

/ Snowblower questions
My 720 is fine so long as I can keep it fed, as you say.

Hey, that's a good video! Looks like your snowblower works great. Are you using the loader float with your Hiniker blade, if not how are you setting the height?