Snowplow modifications

/ Snowplow modifications #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
While this thread has nothing to do with tractors per say, the item will atleast be mounted on and pushed by my tractor.

I am slowly getting my snowplow ready for the big chill. some of the modification will include a trip to my local welder where he is going to modify the attaching end so that I can utilize my quick tach system. The attached picture show what it will kinda / sorta look like. Right now the pieces are just leaning against each other, so I could have some idea of the end result. I am going to tell my welder to work the pieces anyway he see's fit, for I am after strength and duribility first and apearance second.

Attachments

• 319702-P9230001 reduced.jpg
    319702-P9230001 reduced.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 587
   / Snowplow modifications
Now from this second piture you can clerly see that I need to install / replace the angling cylinders. Here lies a question. Would these hydraulic cylinders be single acting or double acting ?
I have also found that from some of the diagrams I have run accross, that I am missing the third (center) trip spring so I am going to need to replce that as well. I am not sure just how crucial or necessary this spring is. I have used the plow for the last 2 winters on my old JD and it certainly trips perfectly when it needs to. In fact adding the third spring will, I believe, only make the tripping ability stiffer. I am thinking that maybe it is safer to have the tripping ability less stiff, which means that the blade will/should trip before I may do damage to my tractor.
I am also think of having my welder add a couple of plow shoes, this may help me from digging up my driveway until things freeze.
I am totaly open to suggestion for this project. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 319708-P9230003 reduced.jpg
    319708-P9230003 reduced.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 458
   / Snowplow modifications
I forgot to ask.
Does anybody know a good source for plow parts? Mine is an OLD Western.
My welder can handle making me the 2 hydraulic lines that I will need to run from the rear remotes up to the front, so I am OK there. But I will need to buy the 2 angling cylinders, some fittings and maybe the 3rd spring etc. etc.

/ Snowplow modifications #4  
Well for what it is worth I have been thinking about the same thing , but figured I would not go to the trouble of adding the hyraulic's , just have a simple angle and pin with springs , wish you the best on your project ,....
Thank you for sharing ...will follow with intrest .
Bill g.

/ Snowplow modifications
Bill,
In my second picture you can see the 2 big silver bolts that I have used for the past two years. I would just jump of the tractor, pull one of the bolts, swing the plow and then drop the bolt into one of the holes to keep the plow from pivoting back. This manual angling actually works quite well, the only downside is the getting off & on the tractor multiple times. This again really is,'t All That big of an issue. But ! my new tractor has the rear remotes. So ! you see, I got do this !!
It's a guy thing.
One little step forward toward snow removal. One huge leap for tractor owners everywhere !! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Snowplow modifications #6  
You either need one double acting cylinder or two single acting cylinders to angle the plow.

I'd go with two single acting as the plow frame is likely sized for a standard plow cylinder.

To figure out what size cylinders you need, angle the plow all the way to one side. Then measure the center to center distances where each cylinder goes (one long, one short). This will give you the extended (A) & retracted (B)measurements. It is OK if your replacement cylinder retracts further than your measurement, but you don't want it to extend any further than your measurements.

Skip the extra trip spring, you are right it will make it harder to trip.

Clear as mud eh?

I edited your pic to show the dimensions (A & B). Be sure to measure with the plow angled

Attachments

• 319808-plow.jpg
    319808-plow.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 335
   / Snowplow modifications #7  
Mark - try stopping by Maher's welding in Tilton. They do a lot of snowplow work and might have the parts you need. They are less than a mile past MB Tractor as you continue towards Tilton (on the left). Good Luck.

/ Snowplow modifications
Thanks, I am actually headed into Tilton to Home Depot today, I will go a little further down the road and check them out.

/ Snowplow modifications #9  
Mark,

I have a similiar set-up, except my plow quick-mounts to my bucket. If I had the skidsteer quick-attach, I would have done it the way you are going to. The truck plow that I got had four trip springs and was 96" wide. I removed two of the springs and cut the plow down to 80" which seems to be the right combination for my tractor. You need to be the judge of when you think the plow should trip. It takes five minutes to put another spring on, so I guess you will have to experiment a little. It also depends on how worn out the springs are and of course you have twice the tractor that I do. I would start with two springs. I also have to get off to angle the plow and wish I had the extra cash to add the additional hydraulics to power angle it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I must say that this set-up works great for plowing snow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Snowplow modifications
Hazmat,
Thanks for the picture edit. Your lines are a little off angle, but thats OK. I ws able able to know exactly what measurment your were refering to. They are 17.5 / 27.5
In looking at diagrams of Western plow parts it shows that the angling pistons are part #18. So I am hoping and expecting that all I need to do is order a pair of them plus the pins and some fittings.