So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions.

/ So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions. #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
image1 (6).JPGimage2 (6).JPGimage1 (7).JPG

Ok so I picked up a 1971 IH 444. Original owner of this one was an IH collector, 3700hrs, pretty original straight gas tractor. Factory remote kit and power steering. Has a few unoriginal items on it (seat), but mostly a great looking straight tractor.*

He mentioned that he put new plugs, wires, cap etc in a few months ago, but that he put in NGK instead of Autolite and that I may want to change it.*

I want to start off fresh with getting some maintenance items done. Air, oil and oil filter, new plugs, fix some lights, new tach cable, etc. I've got an owners manual on order as well. Also plan on finding an original seat, or something close.*

I also will be removing the front weight kit and bumper, as well as the fluid from the tires. I dont need all the weight on the tractor driving across my yard aerating it.*

My questions are regarding the oil and air filters. I have seen that my tractor is an oil bath air filter, but then I've also seen normal filters for sale listing 444 as the application. The oil filter is the canister type, is it worth converting to spin on or just keep the canister? I think spin on is $40, canister is a $8 filter. I'm also going to be using 15w40 Rotella or similar oil, is that appropriate?

Anything I am missing to get it in preparation for the farm?

/ So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions. #2  
The only reason to change to a spin on filter is ease of changing. Both are similarly effective. The air filter is another matter. Paper filters are more effective. I wonder if they put oil bath on gas and dry on diesel. If I remember correctly the 444 came as a diesel as well as gas but I could be wrong. My take on our older gas tractors is to use 30 wgt. That's what was originally recommended. In a moderate climate you don't anything any thinner. I am reluctant to put the thinner 15w40 in an old engine that has increased clearances due to wear. I am sure there will be other opinions on this.

/ So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions. #3  
View attachment 500986View attachment 500987View attachment 500988
Anything I am missing to get it in preparation for the farm?

I might be preaching to the choir but if your 444 is anything like my IH354 gas engined tractor of that era I would suggest to put dielectric grease on the distributor/plug wire/coil terminals. Then instead of changing the distributor cap and plug wires every few months you can go for quite a few years without a tune-up. I use NGK spark plugs in my engine without any problems. I don't see anything wrong with using a 15W-40 oil - I'm using a 5W-30. I have the canister type oil filter and I see no reason to change it for a spin on cartridge type. Mine has a paper air filter so I can't advise you on your oil bath type other than to say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

/ So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions. #4  
The only reason to change to a spin on filter is ease of changing. Both are similarly effective. The air filter is another matter. Paper filters are more effective. I wonder if they put oil bath on gas and dry on diesel. If I remember correctly the 444 came as a diesel as well as gas but I could be wrong. My take on our older gas tractors is to use 30 wgt. That's what was originally recommended. In a moderate climate you don't anything any thinner. I am reluctant to put the thinner 15w40 in an old engine that has increased clearances due to wear. I am sure there will be other opinions on this.

If there is an electronic ignition kit available (Pertronix) for your tractor.....GET IT!
There are no points to service, and you will never need to grease anything, as detailed above.
The Pertronix electronic ignition system is essentially a set it and forget it ignition system.
I have a Ford 8N, and a Ford 3400.
They both have been converted to Pertronix ignition.

/ So I bought a 1971 IH 444, freshening it up for the farm. Got some questions. #5  
+1 on the Pertronix, Get rid of the points. Nothing but trouble especially if the tractor is going to sit around.