So, I bought this little Honda Accord...

/ So, I bought this little Honda Accord...
Bird and Don, I think the tax rates can keep changing, but the property valuation is what is fixed. At least that's what seems to be the case on my house. It stays fixed even though they have recently done a reassessment of property values in my area. Since I am a 60% disabled vet, I have the same value on my house as I did when I closed on it over four years ago. It applies only to my primary residence the same as my homestead exemption. I believe the same rules apply if you are over 65.

I have raw land that continues to increase in value. Everytime a tract of land sells in my area for a higher price, it seems the tax man is not far behind to reassess my land value. If I don't get an ag exemption soon, I'll have to put a few acres on the market. 20 acres is enough, we don't need 55.

/ So, I bought this little Honda Accord... #52  
First of all, I feel your pain. In Florida, (where I grew up and lived most of my life) they tax by the amount paid, with a signed bill of sale, whether or not notarized.

In Alabama, they tax just like you are being done in Tejas. Case in point, when I moved here, I went to register a motorcycle which is paid off. They took my FL title and sent it off to Montgomery for an AL title. Then, even though I had the bill of sale stating I paid 7500 for it, they charged me for taxes on what their little magic book stated it was worth...9K, or 90.00 (10% of actual value.)

Here's my number one complaint with this. Taxes have already been paid on that vehicle once...when it was bought NEW. But, surely as death, the taxman cometh.

On a side note (and I'm not trying to hijack your thread here), before I moved to rural Alabama from congested Florida, a relative told me how cheap property taxes are here in Alabama and how cheap it was to live.

BULL*&^%!!!!! Property taxes are cheap, but the line stops there.

Tags are unbelievable. In FL it was costing me about 40.00 a year for a tag. Here in AL, I paid 185.00 for a tag this year for my truck...it'll be 162.00 next and slowly depreciates as my vehicle does.:mad:

Income tax...I know most of you won't feel any empathy on me for this, but State Income Tax sucks! :mad: Being from FL, I was like..."what's this crapola"? No income tax in sunny FL, but dadgummit, they rape me here. Oh and my relative said "You'll get it back at the end of the year"...my neighbor said..."No you won't, and you'll be lucky to not have to pay more"!

County Sales Tax is 9% and the roads are terrible. Need I say more? :mad:

Tax on FOOD! Yeah, they tax groceries here in AL. (FL didn't) :mad:

Tax on prescription drugs...yep, AL does it. (FL didn't) :mad:

Dadgummit I feel better! Other than the taxes on everything, things are good here :D . We love it here, but man I wish my relative would have been on the level with me...that way I wouldn't be shell-shocked.

-Podunk

/ So, I bought this little Honda Accord... #53  
[LEFT said:
Podunkadunk[/LEFT]]First of all, I feel your pain. In Florida, (where I grew up and lived most of my life) they tax by the amount paid, with a signed bill of sale, whether or not notarized.

In Alabama, they tax just like you are being done in
Tejas
. Case in point, when I moved here, I went to register a motorcycle which is paid off. They took my FL title and sent it off to Montgomery for an AL title. Then, even though I had the bill of sale stating I paid 7500 for it, they charged me for taxes on what their little magic book stated it was worth...9K, or 90.00 (10% of actual value.)

Here's my number one complaint with this. Taxes have already been paid on that vehicle once...when it was bought NEW. But, surely as death, the taxman
cometh

On a side note (and I'm not trying to hijack your thread here), before I moved to rural Alabama from congested Florida, a relative told me how cheap property taxes are here in Alabama and how cheap it was to live.

BULL*&^%!!!!! Property taxes are cheap, but the line stops there.

Tags are unbelievable. In FL it was costing me about 40.00 a year for a tag. Here in AL, I paid 185.00 for a tag this year for my truck...it'll be 162.00 next and slowly depreciates as my vehicle does.:mad:

Income tax...I know most of you won't feel any empathy on me for this, but State Income Tax sucks! :mad: Being from FL, I was like..."what's this
crapola
"? No income tax in sunny FL, but
dadgummit
, they rape me here. Oh and my relative said "You'll get it back at the end of the year"...my neighbor said..."No you won't, and you'll be lucky to not have to pay more"!

County Sales Tax is 9% and the roads are terrible. Need I say more? :mad:

Tax on FOOD! Yeah, they tax groceries here in AL. (FL didn't) :mad:

Tax on prescription drugs...yep, AL does it. (FL didn't) :mad:

Dadgummit
I feel better! Other than the taxes on everything, things are good here :D . We love it here, but man I wish my relative would have been on the level with me...that way I wouldn't be shell-shocked.

-Podunk

You can say what you want to and dance from state to state but you're gonna pay one way or another.