So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!?

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!?
Thanks for the tips motownebrown! I have a little toolset I've used for years to work on our cars and odd jobs around the house. However, the sizes are just shy of what I need for the tractor. So I may have to bite the bullet and get a nice set. The misses doesn't have a problem buying quality tools or anything else for that matter. ;) I'm usually the one trying to be a budgeteer. Just this past weekend, she suggested I buy an air compressor for the tractor tires. However, I figured I could 'get her done' with a $10 bicycle pump from Wal-mart. It took a little time but I finally aired up 3 of em before the sun went down. :laughing:

Upon receiving my fuel bowl kit from NCW Tractor Parts, I noticed the fuel filter was significantly smaller than the one I butchered from NAPA. However, once I screwed it on, replaced the bowl, re-poured the spilt diesel and bled the lines, she fired right up! I haven't engaged the PTO yet but I think we're back in business.:thumbsup: However, I am wondering where some of you purchase your fuel filters and how they fit inside the sediment bowl? The one I initially got from NAPA appears to be the same size as the JD filter I replaced.

I admit I had some technical difficulties changing the bush hog oil. The manual recommends SAE 90 or 140. However, I couldn't find either in 1qt bottles. So I bought 2 gallons of Travelers SAE 90 transmission fluid from TSC. It says it was formulated for old Ford tractors but I assume it will work. Since my gearbox only has a check level screw, I bought a little hand pump. I was able to siphon some of the oil but I couldn't get it to flow. Perhaps it was operator error or maybe that's all that was in there? I was also unable to siphon the new oil from the jug into the gearbox. So after a couple of other strategies failed, I grabbed a plastic water bottle, stuck a hole in the cap, inserted a straw and squeezed it until I saw honey brown goodness coming out of the check level hole.

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #12  
If you can find the number on the original, you can buy them cheap on Ebay. That is what I have done for years. Maybe ask NCW what filter is recommended??

/ So I finally bought a MF 1030... now what?!? #13  
I have an '87 1030L (the one with the live PTO, synchro transmission, and bowl-less "oil filter like" fuel filter) and you are mostly on the right page. I sucked it up and bought the service manual so I would actually know what I was doing.

1. All of the fasteners are metric. One of the POs of my tractor apparently owned only SAE tools and picked the "closest" SAE size to the metric fasteners and rounded a bunch off. You will want a good 1/2" ratchet and sockets ranging from 12 mm to 23 mm and wrenches of the same size. IIRC most of the fasteners are 12 mm, 13 mm, 18 mm, and 22 or 23 mm.

2. The service manual says 15W-40 is OK as long as you don't get well below zero Fahrenheit. I put whatever 15W-40 diesel oil O'Reilly's has on special in mine and it's been fine. O'Reilly's also has all of the filters you'd need for the unit as well (made by Wix) and they're not too expensive. I don't know if you have O'Reilly's in Louisiana but you could at the very least call them, get a Wix filter number for your various filters, and then take that to a good local auto parts store.

3. Tractor Supply's Traveller hydraulic oil lists itself as compatible with MF Permatran III specs. I use it and haven't seen any issues.

4. It takes a long time to fill a tractor tire with a bicycle pump. The front tires are doable (I speak from experience) but the rears really require an air compressor.

5. Go to an auto parts store and buy 85W-140 gear oil in a quart bottle to put in your Bush Hog, that's what they take. Get one with a nipple end on the bottle and you can just squeeze it in the gearbox.

6. Your 1030 is apparently an original 1030 as you stated it has a fuel filter bowl. You thus have a standard non-live PTO so you need to clutch and stop the tractor before engaging the PTO. Your PTO also stops when you clutch the tractor, so you will need to plan accordingly. You will also discover why people invented live/independent PTOs that don't stop when you push in the clutch.