So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now..

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #51  
These insects home in on CO2. Best not to breathe. :D
larry

Good. That means they will all get lost when the EPA stops all CO2 emmissions.

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #52  
Got into the old fordson major that i only use for the log splitter and had not been driven for months in a hurry and in seconds had a splitting pain betwen my eyes..Looked up to see a nice wasps nest as big as my fist in the corner of the cab...B@$tard had me instantly so i filled the garden sprayer with a shot of lorsban that i had a prt jug of and gave them a squirt of that ....no more wasps !

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #53  
Timely post for me. I was out this morning grading a new trail and hit the dreaded yellow jacket nest in the ground. They got me 3 times before I could out run them. Only took another half hour before they settled down enough that I could sneak back and turn off te tractor. I'll get it home after dark tonight. Those stings sure do hurt for a few hours.

MarkV

Same thing happened to me. Just as I hit the hive, I ran out of fuel, loader full of dirt. I waited until well after dark, but they never went into the hive. Snuck out early the next morning, they were still angry and apparently are early risers. Held my breath and fueled up the tractor and got it out. I drove about 200 feet or so and parked it. Came home from work that day and went to put the tractor away, and there they were, still flying around/in the dirt that was in my bucket. They stung me twice, kinda made me want to call my mom, I didn't though. I stayed away for the rest of the year, don't like killing stuff if I don't have to. Yup, the yellow jackets won, however by the next spring they had moved on and I was able to finish that trail.

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #54  
Sounds like you may have picked up their nest with the load of dirt. That would be about the worst case scenario I can think of.

MarkV

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #55  
Same thing happened to me. Just as I hit the hive, I ran out of fuel, loader full of dirt. I waited until well after dark, but they never went into the hive. Snuck out early the next morning, they were still angry and apparently are early risers. Held my breath and fueled up the tractor and got it out. I drove about 200 feet or so and parked it. Came home from work that day and went to put the tractor away, and there they were, still flying around/in the dirt that was in my bucket. They stung me twice, kinda made me want to call my mom, I didn't though. I stayed away for the rest of the year, don't like killing stuff if I don't have to. Yup, the yellow jackets won, however by the next spring they had moved on and I was able to finish that trail.

:laughing::D:laughing::D

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #57  
These insects home in on CO2. Best not to breathe. :D
larry
These guys were interesting to watch; they paid us 5 dollars for any baldfaced hornets nest we could find. They would show up in the afternoon, carefully prep the area as best they could, snipping branches free until the bees started getting irritated.
they would come back after dark with a burlap sack; and as quickly as possible plug the hole in the bottom of the nest and get the sack around the nest. Any bees that escaped would head to the 6v flashlight, and he would pick them up using heavy rubber gloves.

He sold the nests to a company that froze them, ground them up and extracted the poison for antidote.

A few years ago I found t BFH nests in the rhody bushes at my parents place, both within a foot of each other.

And my first year of tractoring I was mowing around my place, no problem. When fall hit and the leaves started falling, there was a BFH nest in a tree I was mowing around/under. Thank God my ROP didn't hit it, it was at that hight.

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #58  
The problem with ground nests is that sprays may or may not kill them. Here's something that has worked for me.

2. Take a picture of the area or mark it by tossing a small object near it, it's going to be tough finding it at night and a flashlight will attract their attention.

I use a spray foam that does a good job. It sprays a stream about ten feet or so.

I've also taken to having a couple of driveway markers attached to the tractor. You know, the ones with a metal shaft about three feet long and have a red reflector at the top. When I find a nest in the ground while mowing, I park the tractor a safe distance away, grab one of the reflective markers, and get close enough so I can toss it near the entrance to the nest. The reflectors make it much easier to find the nest at night.

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #59  
Contrary to popular belief, yellow jackets do build paper nests(just like hornets).
Several years back, I ran over an 'inground' nest of yellowjackets. Got stung a couple times.
In my P O'ed state, I grabbed the gas, during daylight hours and set it on fire.
The next week, I found them again....A paper nest under the eve of my garage.
Still hit them a little too early apparently, because 2 weeks later while mowing, I came face to face with another 'paper' nest of yellowjackets on a maple tree limb that got weighted down by the size of the nest.
That one I burnt well after dark.........problem solved.
Just another note about yellowjackets. They are primarily 'meat eaters'. But the do love orchards(they feed off the fruit). Good place to get stung big time.

/ So, I ran over a bee's nest.. what now.. #60  
Oh yes...Love the ground hornets! They sure do get upset when you mow over their home. They got me twice above the right eye, once on the left temple, left knee cap and left calf. Of course after getting nailed above my eye, I swatted like crazy to get them off, knocked my eyeglasses into the woods, jumped off the mower and ran far enough to be left alone. Then had to walk all the way back to the house from the "bottom" in severe pain, cant hardly see, sweating like mad, cussing like a sailor. So I go in the house, paste a bunch of baking soda all over my face, finally find my spare glasses.

So she asks me if I think I ought to have her take me to the hospital because I am fairly allergic. I said, "no, but I would like you to go turn the mower off" :D

Well, we waited a few minutes and walked back down there...slowly...it was pretty calm... no hornets to be seen...found the glasses.....killed the mower...pushed it away from the impact zone....never did see any hornets.....she's starting to think I'm losing my mind...then the swelling starts.
This pic was taken the next morning.
sting 025.jpg Ouch