So now what? Ford 600

/ So now what? Ford 600 #11  
Carb cleaning means different things to different people.

To some, a general disassembly, a squirt or two of carb cleaner, perhaps a little compressed air and voila a rebuilt carb.

Often carbs have emulsion tubes beneath the main jet. Not visible, yet has tiny passages that, when obstructed, result in poor starting or running.,
This is a photo of a different carb than your but with an emulsion tube.

The main jet needs to be unscrewed to get the emulsion tube out.

You must use a screwdriver bit that fits into the main jet slot exactly, apply pressure to keep the tip firmly in the main jet slot while turning to unscrew it. Use any old flat tip driver you will damage the slot in the main jet and become a disaster situation.
WbC194m.jpg

Once the emulsion tube is out, take a strand of multi-strand wire and poke out each hole along the tubes length.

Carb cleaner and compressed air while the main jet and emulsion tube is out.

Small engine shops often have an ultrasonic carb cleaner available. You tube has videos to see.

They can clean tiny passageways.

Dave M7040

/ So now what? Ford 600 #13  
That's an excellent post by Dave. I have had more than one engine/carb that required the emulsion tube be cleaned. I have had to heat some of the carbs to get the tube to break loose, even using the correct screwdriver.

/ So now what? Ford 600 #14  
Thanks Dave. Actually we replaced the tube when we rebuilt the carb. So it might be something else.

/ So now what? Ford 600 #15  
do you have a small tank you can hook up to check fuel flow?

I have an old tank off a lawnmower with a short hose hooked to some brake line that I use to feed carbs to test flow.

Your test tank can be as simple as a walmart 50 cent picnick ketchup/mustard squeeze bottle with a short piece of fuel hose slid on the pointed end, and then some brake line in the other hose end so you can bolt it up.

fill the bottle about 3/4 way, screw the top on, add the line/hose, invert bottle, poke a vent hole in the bottom. have someone milk the carb/fittings to make sure you got fuel, and then get them to start it. if it runs till the bottle is empty, but not off the regular tank, it's a fuel delivery issue.

if your machine has the fuel bowl on the side of the carb, make sure it is oriented correctly.. it is possible to put it on wrong and the hollow bolt / fuel stem can mostly block the ports. some aftermarket ones are mad poorly and the fuel pots / holes int he bolt / stem, simply don't line up very well. some of you can mod to make work.. some of them you have to junk..

/ So now what? Ford 600 #16  
WOW! Thanks for this info I will pass it on to Randy, who I sure will appreciate it.
Zena

/ So now what? Ford 600 #17  
If this has been mentions I missed it but this tanks can rust on the inside. You can also remove the tube from the tank to the carb and place a gallon or so tank under it and see how well the gas runs into it. Can even be a floating piece of trash that is sucked into the outlet as it runs.

/ So now what? Ford 600 #18  
Thank you everyone for your insights. It was definitely the carburetor. Fixed and running!

/ So now what? Ford 600 #19  
Good news and 'warm fuzzies' are spreading all over the forum...
Just to help someone who comes along later - Can you be a little more specific?

/ So now what? Ford 600 #20  
I'm glad he got it fixed. sounds like a float or blockage in the carb.