So, what happens to the grease?

/ So, what happens to the grease? #1  

jezreel

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - MX5400 DTC
I know it’s a stupid question, but. . . What the heck happens to all that grease I pump into that tractor? It doesn’t drip out, or leak. Does it just evaporate? I mean, I gotta tell ya. . . I hate having to grease that thing so often. It shouldn’t be a pain in the butt, but it is. It’s gotta be done, so I do it. I just don’t know where it all goes.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #2  
I know it’s a stupid question, but. . . What the heck happens to all that grease I pump into that tractor? It doesn’t drip out, or leak. Does it just evaporate? I mean, I gotta tell ya. . . I hate having to grease that thing so often. It shouldn’t be a pain in the butt, but it is. It’s gotta be done, so I do it. I just don’t know where it all goes.
Not a stupid question at all... it's just something that I've never considered.

Other than some of it leaping onto my clothing, I just assumed that it disappeared into the 'never-never'.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #3  
Interesting if you're regular with greasing...how much if it ends up as grease spots all over the tractor! (Especially when it's hot out.)

/ So, what happens to the grease? #4  
I am guess I am one those odd people. I actually do not mind greasing my tractor but I also enjoy cleaning guns. It just seems satisfying.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #5  
I remember reading that over time, the grease, it sort of breaks down and is slowly liquefied, dropping out of the area that was originally greased. Thus requiring a new greasing to maintain lubrication. This process is greatly reduced with the new synthetic lubricants.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #6  
I don't know where yours is going, but mine oozes out of every gap and ends up on my clothes!

/ So, what happens to the grease? #7  
Depends. Use the tractor a lot and it gets squeezed out all kinds of places. Use it not so much and it seems to turn into powder and blow away.

/ So, what happens to the grease?
I pump enough grease in there to see it just oozing out at some of the joints. When I put more grease in, I pump 3-6 times before I see the grease oozing again. And those spots never seem to get bigger between greasing. I don’t know.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #9  
I don't know but I just started to clean my new to me Kioti tractor (first day in a while that it's above 10C here!) and it even has grease on the ROPS!

/ So, what happens to the grease? #10  
I think as you move the item very small amounts ooze out of the joints, dirt collects, and it dries and falls off.