SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend?

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #1  

Indydirtfarmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2440/4440/4020/4955
SO..What \"tractorin\'\" did you do over the weekend?

We started planting corn. Around 165 acres in so far. Today we'll do another field of about 60 acres. Spring monsoon season is supposed to start tonight. At least we'll have some corn in .... (We'll have about a 3rd planted)

Also plowed the sweetcorn patch on Friday. Ran the tiller through it yesterday. Got the 2-row planter hitched up, and ready to roll. Gonna plant that as soon as breakfast is done. (Decided to "down-size" this year...about an acre)

SO....What BIG FUN did you have on YOUR tractor(s) this weekend???

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #2  
Re: SO..What \"tractorin\'\" did you do over the weekend?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( SO....What BIG FUN did you have on YOUR tractor(s) this weekend??? )</font>
Sad to say all I was able to do was think about it while I cared for a dying patient who just wasn't ready to go, for the last 6 nights.

I found myself thinking about using the tractor while I was sitting there waiting to give a medication!
At least, now that she's expired, I'm going to go back over and help her husband clean up their property since he's been tied up caring for her for the last 2 1/2 years.

Life IS great.
John

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #3  

Indy, Well I didn't get to have quite as much fun as you, But I did manage to grub out four great big vine roots and two dead sassafrass trees in about 30 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif not enough seat time but I'm sure I find more to do soon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif....

Know anybody that needs some loader work?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #4  

I got a little bit of seat time, not as much as I wanted. I have the new Top-N-Tilt installed and didn't even get to use it. I did hook up the PHD and bored a couple big holes to transplant a couple large Mugho Pines that formally resided near the house, they are now in the middle of a field that will become part of the new Japanese style garden we are starting. The lovely Mrs_Bob doesn't much like tractors, but when she saw how easily the FEL lifted the larger Mugho pine out of the ground she was pretty darn thrilled. . . she thought she'd have to dig it out while I waited in the tractor seat /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I also used the FEL to carry broken branches around the property, hauled them off to the burn pile and set them ablaze. Tonight I hope to move some dirt up into the area where the Mugho pines were located, a new patio is going in and I need some fill because there is a pretty steep slope that the patio is going to be built on. We have a terrace wall partialli in place, that has to be finished too.

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #5  

- Tilled up another section of garden.
- Leveled off a high spot in the field (moved soil to areas where we needed it).
- Used loader to haul fallen branches/sticks out of the field so I won't hit them when I start mowing.
- Burned up the huge pile of stumps, dead trees, etc - used loader to help create the pile and to push stumps back into the center as it burned down.
- Did a little mowing.
- Picked large rocks out of the soil (in the field) so they won't be hit by the mower.
- Chipped off a stump after having sawed criss cross marks across it with the chain saw (again, so it won't be hit with mower) - was too big to dig out and wasn't necessary.

It was TOO hot yesterday and the day before (82 and sunny). I want my spring! hehe Should be overcast and a little rain here the next few days and then 60's for the week. Sounds good to me. My plants love the cool spring weather with moisture /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #6  

"I'm going to go back over and help her husband clean up their property since he's been tied up caring for her for the last 2 1/2 years." Good for you!
Leo

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #7  

We had frost the last couple of mornings.. no corn planting yet.

Over the weekend..

Tried to finish one post hole that was nothing but rock.. I dipped three 5 gallon buckets of water out of the hole.. just to watch a stream of clear water fill it up in a few minutes.. so I started putting in support posts instead around the front entrance.

Got 45 tons of gravel on Sat... finished spreading over half.

Disc about 5 acres.. tilled it.. made potatoe hills.. planted 100 lbs of potatoes.. 100 lbs to go.

Picked 2 FEL loads of rock out of the field during the above planting.

Fed the steers(2x day).. new water & feed for the guineas.. chickens.

Hauled feed & hay for the week for the steers.

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #8  

Drug future fence post about 70-80 w/ tractor to temp home till time to put them in the ground. I figure that many poles in a pile is a snakepit waiting to happen, so moving them farther away from the house seemed like a good way to spend a saturday.

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #9  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "I'm going to go back over and help her husband clean up their property since he's been tied up caring for her for the last 2 1/2 years." Good for you! )</font>
Thanks Leo. I know what the guy's been through to some extent as I did the same with my wife for 14 months. Everything gets out of hand. Just think of all the seat time I can get while helping someone else out!!
If we all just help a little, we accomplish a lot.
John

/ SO..What "tractorin'" did you do over the weekend? #10  

I got to use the box blade some more filling in a natural gas line that I'm running to my extra garage. About 2 hours seat time. Loved every minute.