So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy!

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #31  
James you did a lot of work there. One of the toughtest jobs to do with metal working is removing welded parts. I use the gouge feature on my Miller 875 plasma but that because I'm getting lazy in my old age ;). You've done a nice job. Great Photos and a very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #32  
Yes, pretty tired, " A heating and a beating, banging knocking grinding" The welding part was pretty easy. Just getting the metal off was difficult for me, Yes a bigger torch would have made it easier, to get the ears off, but getting the base metal part of the ears removed is still going to be a pain for anyone, I think. Thanks for educating me on the terminology of some of the weld types. I had heard of them but wasn't sure what to call everything. All I can say is the Kubota guys have things pretty well welded together, and it ain't gonna fall off by itself anytime soon.:laughing:

James K0UA

James, Just a question in retrospect, wouldn't it have been easier to cut the ears off then weld on strips of steel to bring surface of the bucket up to level of where those flat pieces with plug welds were versus removing them? Just a thought. Would have added little more weight to bucket but much quicker and added strength besides?

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #33  
Why cut the ears off at all? Why not just weld the QA plate directly to the ears? It would push the bucket out a few inches but that would not really affect function very much. Might lower lift capacity by a hundred pounds or so and chance the ultimate dump/curl angle. The angle could be adjusted if necessary by trimming/beveling rather than removing the ears.

When I had a JD QA bucket changed over to a SSQA receiver mount I used the two small SSQA mount pieces left and right with just the bar connecting them across the top. Welded right over the little JD mount nubs (which were cut off but they interfered with mounting the new parts). Saved significant weight of the 5/16 plate that we usually associate with a full SSQA receiver.

I actually hired a welder to come to my place to do the work and it only took about 90 minutes start to finish.

Attachments

• IMG_5964smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5964smallfile.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,018
   / So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy!
Well its finished, decided to go ahead and weld the front all the way across.
I did not like the way the front looked with the gaps in the welds.
I welded on the hooks. and painted it up. This welding in the dark is for the birds.!
Thanks everyone for all the comments. This project has been a learning experience, and fun too. The only way to get better at something is to do it!

James K0UA

Attachments

• DSCF0462.JPG
    DSCF0462.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCF0463.JPG
    DSCF0463.JPG
    440.1 KB · Views: 548
  • DSCF0464.JPG
    DSCF0464.JPG
    439.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF0465.JPG
    DSCF0465.JPG
    438.5 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCF0468.JPG
    DSCF0468.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCF0469.JPG
    DSCF0469.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 610
James you did a lot of work there. One of the toughtest jobs to do with metal working is removing welded parts. I use the gouge feature on my Miller 875 plasma but that because I'm getting lazy in my old age ;). You've done a nice job. Great Photos and a very interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Paul I really appreciate that.

James K0UA

James, Just a question in retrospect, wouldn't it have been easier to cut the ears off then weld on strips of steel to bring surface of the bucket up to level of where those flat pieces with plug welds were versus removing them? Just a thought. Would have added little more weight to bucket but much quicker and added strength besides?

Probably so, but I wanted it flat to the surface of the bucket to have an edge to weld to, and the bottom areas, are welded where they contact the bucket and the top to my bar.. So could you do it that way, sure, or even welded to the ears themselves like Island said. But would it have been as much fun?. Besides I was busy tearing the first one off, when I decided this was going to be hard.. I didnt think it would be a big deal when I started.

James K0UA

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #37  
You did a nice job. Looks good!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #38  
Very nice job... I can appreciate what you went through since I did the same thing about 4 years ago. I since traded that L3400dt for a new L3400 HST, and I made sure to get the factory QA and bucket on my new tractor. You will love the QA... it makes it very easy to utilize other "toys" like forks, grapple, etc.

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #39  
My Brother recently bought a L3240 without QA bucket. He said he didn't need that function. Well a couple weeks ago he came to me and asked if I could convert it. :)

He bought the bracket that pins to the Kubota loader. I converted the bucket building my own QA plate.

This thread supports my theory about metal working projects. The proper equipment is paramount to efficient production. I have a large Victor torch, a Miller 625 Plasma Cutter and a Miller MIG. I converted my Brother's bucket in a short afternoon building everything from flat metal. I consider myself only mediocre in my metal working skills and productivity.

I commend the poster for tackling this project with the limited equipment at his disposal. He should be proud of his skills and diligence!!! He created a QA bucket that is many times stronger than what he would have purchased. :thumbsup:

I can't agree with someone who mentioned simply welding the QA plate to the existing brackets. The last thing you need is your bucket projecting a few inches farther forward and/or messing up the dump angle and rollback feature. It's best to strip the bucket bare like the poster did and start over.

My Brother is very excited about his new QA bucket and has now started purchasing other attachments for his tractor.

/ So you think converting a Pin-On to QA is Easy! #40  
ovrszd said:
My Brother recently bought a L3240 without QA bucket. He said he didn't need that function. Well a couple weeks ago he came to me and asked if I could convert it. :)

He bought the bracket that pins to the Kubota loader. I converted the bucket building my own QA plate.

I can't agree with someone who mentioned simply welding the QA plate to the existing brackets. The last thing you need is your bucket projecting a few inches farther forward and/or messing up the dump angle and rollback feature. It's best to strip the bucket bare like the poster did and start over.

How did you orient the receiver plate to match the dump and curl angles of the original pin bucket mount. Seems to me if you maintain the same angle as established by the existing pins it should be the same. If using the original ears that would just require grinding or plasma cutting excess material so you could maintain the angle.

Obviously you don't want the bucket a foot further forward but really 3-6 inches would make no practical difference. Remember there are lots of bucket styles that project much further forward than standard buckets.